Not eating enough/Food aversions/dislike

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Unfortunate_Aspie_
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2016, 11:20 pm

I was just wondering if anyone else had this issue that I seem to have. I love certain foods, but generally I HATE the idea of eating food and no matter where or when I am doing something I have to force myself to eat food. I know why this is, I get super anxious, and when I am anxious I want to vomit and if I eat food it always makes me feel worse so I don't eat. The problem with this is that I am anxious most of the time because I can't control my environment and get massive sensory overload like all the time (thanks to some living conditions I have yet to deal with....).

Anyway, this all manifests itself in a super hatred of food so I never want to eat.
However, this is unhealthy- has anyone had any success with this area/topic/any suggestions?
I have found that I really enjoy smoothies no matter what I put in them- so that helps.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2016, 11:52 pm

I sort of have similar issues, except I don't hate the idea of eating I quite enjoy it if I am able. But yeah I don't get anxious about eating food, but when I am on edge or anxious it makes me nauseous or just causes uncomfortable digestive feelings that make it unpleasant to eat. Perhaps getting the anxiety under control would help your appetite, there are anti-anxiety prescriptions. Otherwise there are calming natural remedies that can help...aroma therapy can help cause a calming environment also there are calming herbs like chamomile, lavender, valerian ect.

Or if you live in a legal marijuana state, that can be useful...but when all else fails fruit smoothies are pretty easy to get down.

beakybird
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2016, 7:53 pm

I'd suggest making sure you are taking a quality whole food multi-vitamin. At least you'll know you're body is getting the vitamins it needs if you can't eat.

Unfortunate_Aspie_
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2016, 10:44 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
I sort of have similar issues, except I don't hate the idea of eating I quite enjoy it if I am able. But yeah I don't get anxious about eating food, but when I am on edge or anxious it makes me nauseous or just causes uncomfortable digestive feelings that make it unpleasant to eat. Perhaps getting the anxiety under control would help your appetite, there are anti-anxiety prescriptions. Otherwise there are calming natural remedies that can help...aroma therapy can help cause a calming environment also there are calming herbs like chamomile, lavender, valerian ect.

Or if you live in a legal marijuana state, that can be useful...but when all else fails fruit smoothies are pretty easy to get down.

Yes, I agree that getting anxiety under control would in the long-term be a good solution, I don't have health care at the moment, so I'm looking into other natural or over the counter alternatives. Herbs sound like a great Idea, I could do tea or something.
For some reason pot hates me.... so that's a no go for me, but in the meantime I will keep up with the smoothies- they are like a god send really. I almost was hospitalized last year because I just couldn't eat. Not anorexic or anything (I didn't lose any weight actually I was always the same weight which is why doctors didn't notice anything).
I got sick from something else and then they were like if you don't get nutrients ....
So then I started eating more but that died out after about a week.

The not eating thing is something that has ever so slooooowly been building up over the years, and I'm just noticing it now. Like very recently because I would think- oh, I ate stuff today! and then realize all I ate was cereal and a banana, and then I would think well I ate a lot yesterday, but then recall that all I ate was like a loaf of plain bread from the bakery because I like that type of bread.... very imbalanced.
I just get stuck on foods. I was like that as a kid too.
But then my parents force-fed me foods and ate more but now not so much.
Apparently another autistic person in my family much younger than me (who I just found out exists) has the same foods issue. I thought it was interesting...

Unfortunate_Aspie_
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2016, 10:45 pm

beakybird wrote:
I'd suggest making sure you are taking a quality whole food multi-vitamin. At least you'll know you're body is getting the vitamins it needs if you can't eat.

Yeah, thankfully after my food scare last year I've made it a part of my routine to have a vitamin. It's a bit of progress for me. I'm just slowly trying to inch up my personal ladder of self-progress/health. (very slowly I might add)

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

12 Feb 2016, 2:42 am

I used to occasionally have problems eating because I was anxious, depressed or caught up in doing something because of my OCD. I don't have those problems nowadays Thankfully cuz those issues are treated by meds but I know you don't have healthcare at the moment.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Outrider
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2016, 2:40 am

I am currently bulking to gain muscle, meaning I've got to eat a high amount of foods to be in a calorie surplus.

Eating for me has become an absolute chore sometimes.

I still enjoy most of the foods but my taste has changed so most things taste much plainer to me than they used to, including new foods or things I haven't eaten in a long time.

The things that have the strongest taste to me now are only very salty or sugary foods. Everything else tastes 'slightly better than bland' to me now.

Sometimes the harder, bigger meals for me to eat are so hard I have to pretty much force feed myself.