Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2016, 8:18 am

Nice timing, but it's not about that.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2016, 8:30 am

The argument pertaining to the "realness" of autism, in this case, has acquired a "generation gap" nature.

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2016, 8:44 am

Sadly it has but it's still not about "get off my lawn."

Nobody needs to leave or go away or get off anyone's figurative lawn.

But what does need to happen is that one grouping of people within the spectrum needs to stop subjecting the other to doubt, disbelief, skepticism. I'm not even talking about the self diagnosed -- this is happening to the diagnosed.

One very esteemed member here even left a while ago because someone doubted her diagnosis, ironically she wasn't even one of the older or "higher functioning members, so what hope for anyone else?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2016, 8:58 am

These kids really don't have the life experience to be able to comprehend what we are telling them.

They know this--so they adopt a sort of defensive, smart-ass attitude.

This is the universal reaction of kids everywhere when adults try to convey their life experience to them.

It goes to show: even people on the Spectrum are, essentially, human!

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2016, 9:06 am

True, this is something intrinsic to that stage of life, no matter who a person is.

I try to speak to their intelligence though -- because even though someone may be too young to have life experience, they can still be very smart and sharp enough to comprehend. I prefer to at least try to never compromise my message to someone based just on age or anything else, but instead to say what I would say to a peer. It's beating my head against a wall though, maybe.

I just want to give put the information out there, and I can only illustrate by using my life because it's the one I knoew the best. But then it becomes an argument because it's still met with ifs, and and buts. I give up.

RightGalaxy
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2016, 9:11 am

The last time I said that, a kid crapped on it. I was silenced at last.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2016, 1:14 pm

I don't have a lawn. But I do have a set of steps going up to my apartment door that the kids from the high school across the street love to loiter on. And leave trash and half-eaten food and cigarette butts and scrawl graffiti on the walls. Even my landlord went to the school to complain. They're not hanging around much now, probably because it's too cold out or there's too much snow, but when it gets warmer they'll be acting like they own my doorsteps again. Sigh...

One summer they threw eggs at my windows and the door late at night. My landlord was really not happy about that, either. These kids obviously have terrible parents who can't control them, or none at all. Of course, calling the police is a waste of time unless they literally put your life in danger. Why can't they be locked up in their bedrooms until they're 25 years old? :twisted:

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2016, 1:54 pm

Oh, and by the way, NewTime, original poster of this thread and only on this site for a mere 186 posts, nice bit of passive aggressive, snide, cowardly goading there.

The mark of a troll.

At least I say right out what's on my mind.

If you have something to say about the generational argument that happened on this site, spit it out in those threads, instead of making a snide side topic to goad and needle yet think you're not going to be called on that.

Snide. Snide. Snide. Stand up and spit it out where it happened.

Catlover5
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2016, 2:00 pm

BirdInFlight wrote: Oh, and by the way, NewTime, original poster of this thread and only on this site for a mere 186 posts, nice bit of passive aggressive, snide, cowardly goading there.

The mark of a troll.

At least I say right out what's on my mind.

If you have something to say about the generational argument that happened on this site, spit it out in those threads, instead of making a snide side topic to goad and needle yet think you're not going to be called on that.

Snide. Snide. Snide. Stand up and spit it out where it happened.

What happened?

NewTime
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2016, 2:51 pm

https://www.instagram.com/p/9KNIMUAMmi/

"my milkshake brings all the boys to the yard and I'm like....damn kids get off my lawn!"

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2016, 8:44 am

You cannot get into these arguments on an individual, personal basis.

Tell them why they are wrong but don't get into their motives or what their persistence in these kind of passive aggressive, hostile comments mean.

The thing is, if you have two official warnings for personal attacks, you are then on schedule for a temporary ban. So just leave the personal completely out of it, please.

You cannot make another person share your perspective. You can share the information that may enable them to take that step on their own, but you can't force it on them.

Sometimes you just have to let it go. Some people will be wrong and impervious. Instead of focusing on getting them to not be wrong, just focus on putting out what you know to be true. This will be helpful to you and possibly to others too.

Last edited by Adamantium on 12 Feb 2016, 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.: clarity

Morann
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

12 Feb 2016, 12:08 pm

Nobody needs to leave or go away or get off anyone's figurative lawn.