Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2016, 3:17 pm

Nike has shoes designed for people who can't tie them.
http://www.upworthy.com/unable-to-tie-s ... h-big-time

These days, most 12 year old don't know how to cook--it used to be part of school.

http://www.cookinglight.com/eating-smar ... -economics

Aspies should do things like ask if an informal diagnosis can be obtained--sometimes you can actually get what you want--despite official policy to the contrary. You never know when you are talking to someone who has the ability to bend the rules for your benefit. And, even if the answer is no, you have gained valuable real life social experience that may help you in the future.

Reboot895
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

13 Feb 2016, 4:04 pm

Up until recently, my cooking expertise consisted of opening a packet and putting it in the oven, or microwaving something.

I've got a friend who has really taken me under their wing if you like and giving me some tips on cooking, and doing something more adventurous than what my parents do. Consequently Im able to follow recipes. But I don't know what can be frozen or heated in the microwave, so I end up googling everything.

Puddings on the other hand are easy!

I put my lack of cooking ability down to unadventurous parents who never taught me how to cook. We quite easily blame the school system, but I think that should come from parents.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2016, 4:21 pm

As I understand it, Stephen Hawking, though obviously impaired with ALS, has never been on the government dole.
Apparently he is brilliant enough to make a living just by thinking!

In the USA, SSDI is a function of your employment--can you still do your job or not? You typically don't get SSDI unless you have worked for 40 quarters, so there isn't much question of what your job is.

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2016, 4:27 pm

The most common impairment would be Social impairments,
- Inability or great difficutlty to initiate communication or social interaction
- INability to pick up on and use body language and facial expression
- inability to maintain and make eye contact
- inability to comunicate needs and wants

Theses can cause huge issues with making friends but also in getting a job, getting help when someone needs it IE contacting a doctor when its appropriate or alerting the police of fire department. Most high Functioning people can learn skills to compensate for this but can still have major and minor issues with socialization and communication, for instance my friend with PDD-NOS was scammed due to his social impairments.

There are also Impairments caused by Sensory sensitivity, sometimes people with sensory sensitvities refuse to leave their homes and end up not buying their own groceries, taking out their trash or even going to see a doctor if something were to happen.

Obsessions, repetitive behaviours and rituals can be debilitating, a autistic person can become so absorbed in their obsession they neglect to feed and wash themselfs or even forget to use the bathroom (this is a big problem for me)

One of the biggest problems autistic people encounter is Executive Functioning issues, People with executive functioning problems have issues starting and finishing tasks, remembering dates and appointments and doing tasks that have more than one step. They also have significant impairments in:
- Memory
- Focus
- Using previously learned knowledge to current issues
- Navigation
- Problem Solving
- Inhibition (knowing when to stop)
- Shifting (changing mindset)
- Organization
- self monitoring

There are many other impairments autism causes that im sure i forgot.

It doesn't matter the size of the impairment, you could just have trouble making and keeping friendships and thats enough for a diagnoses, but normally its more than that and thats why its important to look into early childhood because more people learn skills to compensate for their disability,
However some psychologists argue that if the person was able to learn skills in the first place they shouldnt be diagnosed which i disagree with. Everyone can learn something.

DA: http://mephilesdark123.deviantart.com