Page 2 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2016, 3:57 pm

The whole point was to joke about how people systematically misunderstand you because they can't be bothered to pay attention to more than a few keywords and interpolate ad libitum, usually to put in your mouth whatever best suits their interests.

So I'm afraid I've never seen a triangle wearing pants or a skirt.

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.

zkydz
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2016, 4:05 pm

Spiderpig wrote:
The whole point was to joke about how people systematically misunderstand you because they can't be bothered to pay attention to more than a few keywords and interpolate ad libitum, usually to put in your mouth whatever best suits their interests.

So I'm afraid I've never seen a triangle wearing pants or a skirt.
And I've never seen a spiderpig (Not picking on you, just pointing out the obvious), never seen pants over the table or chair legs. Never saw a belt on the waist of a guitar, underwear on the bottom of a guitar or a shirt over the shoulders or necklace on the neck of one either.
Language is filled with strange terms unless you understand the origin or need for the term.

RAADS-R -- 213.3
FQ -- 18.7
EQ -- 13
Aspie Quiz -- 186 out of 200
AQ: 42
AQ-10: 8.8

Cyllya1
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Feb 2016, 5:10 pm

Here's an example that's not born of malice (although doctor-to-patient condescension might have something to do with it):

Sorry for the TMI, but... I sometimes have a problem with long-term excessive menstrual bleeding. For you guys who don't know, menstruation/period occurs for about 3-7 days in a cycle about about 28 days. (So, for example, bleed for three days, don't bleed for 25 days, repeat.)

I went to the doctor for it. This conversation takes place in September because I'm a procrastinator.

Me: I've been having menstrual bleeding for about two months straight.
[Doctor is typing on her laptop while I talk, and something about her face suggests the mental gears are turning but she's getting confused.]
Doctor: Wait, so, when was your last menstrual period?
Me: Um, the one I'm on now started in July. :?
Doctor: You haven't had a period since July? 8O
Me: I haven't NOT had a period since July! :x
[Doctor is still confused]

Apparently, it's far more common for people to go to the doctor because their period hasn't started, rather than because their period started and wouldn't stop. She heard me give most of the same words as a common problem, so she thought that's what my problem was.

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2016, 5:21 pm

That's what I'm used to, though, of course, not about menstruation. I have a really hard time, because repeating myself feels disrespectful, and just because they can't be bothered to process what I say doesn't mean they don't detect the repetition; in fact, they usually get fed up with it.

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.

zkydz
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2016, 6:42 pm

Cyllya1 wrote:
Here's an example that's not born of malice (although doctor-to-patient condescension might have something to do with it):

Sorry for the TMI, but... I sometimes have a problem with long-term excessive menstrual bleeding. For you guys who don't know, menstruation/period occurs for about 3-7 days in a cycle about about 28 days. (So, for example, bleed for three days, don't bleed for 25 days, repeat.)

I went to the doctor for it. This conversation takes place in September because I'm a procrastinator.

Me: I've been having menstrual bleeding for about two months straight.
[Doctor is typing on her laptop while I talk, and something about her face suggests the mental gears are turning but she's getting confused.]
Doctor: Wait, so, when was your last menstrual period?
Me: Um, the one I'm on now started in July. :?
Doctor: You haven't had a period since July? 8O
Me: I haven't NOT had a period since July! :x
[Doctor is still confused]

Apparently, it's far more common for people to go to the doctor because their period hasn't started, rather than because their period started and wouldn't stop. She heard me give most of the same words as a common problem, so she thought that's what my problem was.
I've noticed that over the last 30 years, there has been a movement of people in authority to tune into the 'general populace' and not listen to the individual. They seem to want to hop on the easy answer without even listening to everything you have to say or even listen at all.

What you said here was perfectly cogent and should not have created any confusion.

RAADS-R -- 213.3
FQ -- 18.7
EQ -- 13

Yigeren
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2016, 6:49 pm

I have people just assume I'm stupid all the time because they misunderstand what I'm trying to say, just like you, Spiderpig. Often it's because they aren't smart enough to actually understand what it is that I'm talking about, not my choice of words.

Many of these people are those that assume that they themselves are quite intelligent, and are very arrogant about it as well.

And I know many people have had the same trouble with doctors, because they often don't listen and/or assume the patient is not intelligent enough to accurately describe or understand their feelings. It's really infuriating.

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2016, 6:56 pm

The rule seems to be, "Whenever you can afford to treat someone like an idiot, do it so they don't think too much of themselves and challenge your status".

zkydz
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2016, 7:03 pm

Spiderpig wrote:
The rule seems to be, "Whenever you can afford to treat someone like an idiot, do it so they don't think too much of themselves and challenge your status".
I'm not so sure it's that pointed. I think it's a general lack of 'something'. Maybe just general disdain for everybody.

RAADS-R -- 213.3
FQ -- 18.7
EQ -- 13

Pergerlady
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Feb 2016, 7:47 pm

Sometimes I do feel like the people around me are ignoring me and giving me the cold shoulder, but that's just because they aren't smart enough to understand me. The only thing that matters is that I listen to myself.

zkydz
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2016, 7:51 pm

I have to admit that I wonder if people are not listening because of my communication skills while in person. If just do it ans show them, I've heard, "Why didn't you just say so." But, I've heard things on recording that make me doubt my ability to communicate verbally in a proper or receivable fashion.

RAADS-R -- 213.3
FQ -- 18.7
EQ -- 13

JTheBoop
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 Feb 2016, 9:22 pm

Yeah. Sometimes, it happens i can feel like nobody understands me fully & i hate that.

Professionally diagnosed Aspergers
Ambivert
Obsessed on computers, animation, anthro, MLP, gaming, and such.
Proudly Bi / Pansexual
Boop!

zkydz
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2016, 9:25 pm

zkydz wrote:
I have to admit that I wonder if people are not listening because of my communication skills while in person. If just do it ans show them, I've heard, "Why didn't you just say so." But, I've heard things on recording that make me doubt my ability to communicate verbally in a proper or receivable fashion.

And, this is a good example right there:

It should have read:
"If I just do it and show them,"

And I could have sworn I proofread that too.....:(

RAADS-R -- 213.3
FQ -- 18.7
EQ -- 13

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2016, 9:55 pm

Half the time. I have to YELL OUT LOUD so they can goddamned listen to me sometimes.
Sometimes I just gave up, let them do whatever they think; have a mistake, and blame me or themselves for it. And I refuse to 'argue' or further discuss with someone if that's the case.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.