Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2016, 12:03 pm

You're definitely a real teenager, Ezra. No doubt about that! :D

heffe1981
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

14 Feb 2016, 12:42 pm

Words are a very powerful thing. In New York, in particular, Families for Safe Streets has a website http://crashnotaccident.com/ to get people to say “crash” instead of “accident.” They want to emphasize that many, if not most, traffic fatalities are preventable—not inevitable occurrences. We don’t talk about “plane accidents,” they point out. We assume that when a plane crashes, there was some identifiable human or mechanical error, something that could have gone differently. We want to figure it out and name the cause and avoid a recurrence.

Why not look at car crashes the same way?

Why do we use phrases that shift accountability away from the human beings involved, describing “out of control” vehicles that “jump curbs” and “plow into pedestrians” seemingly of their own accord?

I think that NT is a correct term, but people also notice negative connotations associated with it. The negative aspects of most NT are very obvious to most of us on the spectrum, but not every NT has those negative aspects. If you have met one person on the spectrum, then you have met one person. And like the electromagnetic spectrum, there is an almost limitless variety of people as there are wavelengths. The same goes for NT.

So I propose to always use adjectives and adverbs when using NT. So when you are referring to or talking to a nasty NT, you can say that ignorant NT. You can also say that NT is a free thinker or enlightened when talking to or referring to a NT that has earned the title. If we stop using the correct terms, we shift accountability away from the human beings involved.

Not really on Xbox live

drlaugh
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2016, 3:10 pm

The Data / Pinocchio connection made me think and smile.
Early in my career I would often pause in my brain and ask I wonder how _____ would handle this. It's funny now , when people ask how I would handle this. ... But as usual I digress...

heffe1981
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

14 Feb 2016, 6:49 pm

EzraS wrote:
'Sometimes it's hard being autistic, and I wish I could be a real boy! :P

That's why I prefer identifying with Data over Spock. Data was a Pinocchio.

You should check out the Terminator universe if you are interested in robots becoming human. If the movies and TV show are too violent, there is the expanded universe of books and comics. I have not seen Terminator Genesys, but in Terminator 2 the robot is almost human by the end. The TV show Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles goes into much more detail and in one episode a Terminator is diagnosed with Aspergers. It is S02E6 "The Tower is Tall but the Fall is Short". In the episode, the Terminator robot "girl" talks to a therapist and afterward the therapist tells the terminators "mom" that the robot may have Aspergers. The therapist, of course, does not know that the girl is a machine. There is also the Robot novels by Isacc Asimov.

Not really on Xbox live

heffe1981
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

14 Feb 2016, 7:07 pm

Joe90 wrote:
I find it more cringing when people here call NTs "non-autistic", because there are other neurological disorders besides autism that can make a person atypical.

I knew there were other neurological disorders besides autism, I just never thought of it that way. Maybe we can shorten NT to just typical? And then we could write typical :roll: when they annoy us, lol. Seriously though I really like atypical; it works for autism but it can also be used in reference to other things as well.

Not really on Xbox live