Page 1 of 5 [ 71 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

snake321
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2007, 8:25 pm

Just out of curiosity, this one is about transgendered people. When they'r in public, which bathroom do they go to? Theyr not fully male, and their not fully female. Also, how do they determine their sexual orientation? I'm somewhat interested in figuring out how they adopt in society.
Do note that I'm not prejudiced against transgendered people. Especially those born as transgendered, because honestly I dunno if I could live with such a thing if it were me (and I mean this to no offense to anyone who might have been born this way). I find this to be highly enigmatic though.

Sopho
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2007, 3:06 am

Whichever bathroom they feel most comfortable with I assume. ie, someone living and dressing as a woman, whether or not she is biologically male or female, will use the womens bathroom.
And someone who is transgendered would determine their sexual orientation in the same way that anyone else would. For most, that would mean based on whether they identify as male or female, not whether they are genetically or biologically male or female. For example, Person X may have been born physically male, but has been living as a woman. Person X identifies as female and is exclusively attracted to men, therefore is straight, not gay.

I've hardly had any sleep so I don't know if any of that made sense or not, I'm very tired... :?

Jai
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

20 Apr 2007, 5:47 pm

I agree with Soph. It seems that a transgendered individual would either use the restroom that is most comfortable for them, or use whichever one that would cause the least ruckus. For example, a man dressed as a woman would most likely use the ladies room, so as not to arouse the ire of the patrons of the men's room.

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

Location: 9099 will be my last post...what the hell 9011 will be.

20 Apr 2007, 5:59 pm

In the future all bathrooms are unisex.

snake321
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2007, 7:03 pm

I think it would depend on what type of genitals they have though, right? I mean if they had a vagina they'd use the womens' room and if they had a penis they'd use the mens' room. Of coarse if they had both a penis and a vagina, then I guess they'd just pick one........
But that would suck for them because alot of as*hole people would get offended or make fun of them for something that 1. they couldn't help, and 2. Theyr probably already feeling bad about as it is, atleast to some degree, especially with how they'r probably viewed and treated as less than human in society.

Sopho
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2007, 7:08 pm

I don't think it matters whether they have a penis or not really, because they can use a cubical and nobody would know. I think it would create more problems if someone who had a penis but dressed like and looked like a woman used a mens' bathroom. I don't know though, I avoid public toilets whenever I can :D

ahayes
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2007, 8:58 pm

There's been some college campuses pushing to have gender-neutral (yet still communal) bathrooms.

calandale
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2007, 1:34 am

Male gay bars are even more fun. I'd walk into the bathroom,
and a couple of guys would be making out. Women would complain
because there would be men using the women's room, sometimes
in drag, sometimes just because they viewed themselves as more
female.

Sopho
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2007, 5:44 am

In most cases though this isn't men in drag or transvestites, it's people who live permanently as a different sex, and can usually pass as male or female without necessarily being noticeable.

Starbuline
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2007, 7:45 pm

I think it would be the room that they want to be the same gender as.

Ugainius
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

22 Apr 2007, 2:21 pm

ahayes wrote:
There's been some college campuses pushing to have gender-neutral (yet still communal) bathrooms.

Oh yeah and that has NOTHING to do with having a just reason to look at the opposite sex in the showers :roll:

Sopho
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2007, 2:28 pm

But people don't shower in the toilet. I doubt they're introducing gender-neutral communal showers. Don't most people go in the shower on their own though? I don't have men or women with me when I get a shower.

ahayes
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2007, 2:44 pm

My HS had communal showers for the pool.

Xenon
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2007, 2:46 pm

Several years ago I dated a male-to-female transsexual. By then she had already had her surgery and had been living full-time as a woman for a few years before that. She once told me that the first time she went into a ladies' room she was very nervous.

But to answer the question, they would use the restroom that was appropriate to the gender that they were displaying to the world at large. Even pre-operation, one who was outwardly acting, dressing, etc. as female would use the Ladies'.

Sopho
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2007, 2:50 pm

I think we had communal showers somewhere at my school before I went there as well, I'm not sure. But I still don't think any colleges are going to start having gender neutral communal showers. There's a difference between a public toilet and a communal shower.

jimservo
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2007, 3:18 pm

In my opinion, someone who has male genitalia should use the men's [edit:]bathroom. I suppose I'm "old fashioned" in this regard

Last edited by jimservo on 23 Apr 2007, 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.