Page 1 of 15 [ 239 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next

Should Obama Select the next Supreme Court Justice?
Yes 76%  76%  [ 29 ]
No 24%  24%  [ 9 ]
Total votes : 38

MDD123
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2016, 8:14 pm

Simple question. I personally did not like Scalia or his decisions. The sitting president normally nominates a new SC justice and has the senate confirm or deny the decision within a few months. In the handful of cases that the senate denies the president's pick, the president simply nominates a different justice and tries again.

The senate has never blocked or stalled a nomination with the intent of waiting for a new president to take office. And the notion that waiting for a new POTUS election is more democratic than allowing our currently serving POTUS to make the nomination doesn't is just a lie. The only thing such a measure would do is create a possibility that a republican POTUS will make the nomination, this is a power play, nothing more.

GGPViper
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2016, 2:39 am

According to Article II, section I, of the United States Constitution, the President is elected for four years.

Thus, shalt thou count to four. No more. No less. Four shalt be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be Four. Five shalt thou not count, nor either count thou three, excepting that thou then proceed to four. Six is right out.

According to Article II, section II, the President - by and with the Advice and Consent of the Senate - shall appoint Ambassadors, other public Ministers and Consuls, Judges of the Supreme Court, and all other Officers of the United States, whose Appointments are not herein otherwise provided for, and which shall be established by Law.

As such, the President is obligated by the Constitution to appoint a new Supreme Court Justice to fill the vacancy after Antonin Scalia. There is no provision in the US constitution - none whatsoever - which absolves the President of this obligation simply because it is his last year in office.

So Obama will nominate a successor to Scalia (probably shortly after February 22, when the Senate is back from recess), and then it's up to McConnell to justify blocking a nominee and undermining the constitutional duty of the President for more than 300 days... thus more than doubling the previous record of 125 days between nomination and confirmation.

AntDog
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2016, 2:51 am

Donald Trump should do it and replace everyone but Clarence Thomas and Alito!! ! Electing the most since Roosevelt!! ! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2016, 2:54 am

The only reason for the GOP not to block anyone Obama nominates is appearances, and they haven't seemed particularly concerned with those recently.

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2016, 3:27 am

The GOP is wrong when they say that Obama might as well not nominate anyone, but this seems symptomatic of the increasing polarization in American politics. In the past, the ideology of Supreme Court justices didn't matter as much when it came to appointment, but instead the competence of the nominee as a jurist. Now they must pass ideological tests. I remember reading a Canadian, of all people, notice this increasing strength of ideology in the U.S. becoming a problem back in 2010:

http://www.jjmccullough.com/index.php/2 ... overnment/

EDIT: Here's a choice quote:

Quote:
It’s interesting, because the end result of this cultural shift will probably be the establishment of a more parliamentary-style of governance in America, which is to say, very rigid and homogeneous parties with highly disciplined caucuses voting in very predictable ways. This is a bad thing, I believe, because it undermines one of the greatest institutional strengths of the American system of governance, namely the very weak party structures, which I’ve previously praised.

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2016, 3:43 am

The Atlantic also warns of where these increasingly intense ideological battles may lead us, if the GOP follow through on their threat:

Quote:
The harms of that approach are self-evident. Over time, the length of delays would inevitably increase. Mounting vacancies would cripple the ability of the judicial branch to function. Even more than is presently the case, prospective jurists would be chosen for their likely votes on a small number of hot-button issues. In the long run, everyone would be worse off than they would under the norms the Framers intended and that I’m again urging: timely, up-or-down votes on all nominees, based on their merits as jurists, not the odds of getting a more ideologically favorable nominee under whoever it is that sits in the White House next.

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/arc ... te/462741/

I'd say, following up on what McCullough wrote back in 2010, that if the GOP want radical changes to our form of government, then they are going about it the right way.

frenchmanflats
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2016, 4:06 am

GGPViper wrote:
According to Article II, section I, of the United States Constitution, the President is elected for four years.

Thus, shalt thou count to four. No more. No less. Four shalt be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be Four. Five shalt thou not count, nor either count thou three, excepting that thou then proceed to four. Six is right out.

According to Article II, section II, the President - by and with the Advice and Consent of the Senate - shall appoint Ambassadors, other public Ministers and Consuls, Judges of the Supreme Court, and all other Officers of the United States, whose Appointments are not herein otherwise provided for, and which shall be established by Law.

As such, the President is obligated by the Constitution to appoint a new Supreme Court Justice to fill the vacancy after Antonin Scalia. There is no provision in the US constitution - none whatsoever - which absolves the President of this obligation simply because it is his last year in office.

So Obama will nominate a successor to Scalia (probably shortly after February 22, when the Senate is back from recess), and then it's up to McConnell to justify blocking a nominee and undermining the constitutional duty of the President for more than 300 days... thus more than doubling the previous record of 125 days between nomination and confirmation.

Mitch Mc Connell can get away with delaying it because he is majority leader and controls which bill comes to the floor and debate. Those are Senate rules and he should follow those rules to the letter. If it goes to the floor it has to be voted on. He can put up a barrier by filibustering.

Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2016, 8:11 am

i don't know why this is an issue. he's the president, he elects the next justice.. i just hear a bunch of republicans trying to have their way and control the white house. typical bipartisan nonsense..

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

15 Feb 2016, 10:05 am

The president isn't owed that his nominees get approved to the court, the GOP has the majority in both houses and has a very good chance of taking back the White House so it is totally with in their right to oppose any and all Obama appointments. Checks and balances, our president is not a dictator and there simply is nothing Obama or Democrats can do to convince the GOP the approve his nominees if they oppose them. There are dozens of lower court vacancies right now and other appointments, Obama is a lame duck at this point and there is no long any reason to cooperate with him especially in light of his use of executive orders. The election is in November, the people will vote for how they want the make up of the court and it is as simple as that. If Hillary or Bernie were to win in November then they could start negotiating then during the lame duck session, otherwise the nominee to the court will be a lot different and more in mold of another Alito. Lame ducks don't get to make lifetime appointments right before an election, sorry nothing you can do but cry.

Obama is never going to get 60 votes in the senate in an election year, sorry it's not Christmas for all the gun grabbers and abortion enthusiasts. The only reason Obama didn't get more opposition on his SCOTUS appointments is because he was replacing liberal justices with a Democratic majority in the Senate. I saw the Sotomayor vote in person, Obama had a supermajority in both Houses at the time.

MDD123
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2016, 11:28 am

Nowhere in the constitution does it even mention lame ducks, once again, this is your subjective opinion. The senate has to provide a reason for denying a nomination, not liking Obama isn't a valid reason. My guess is that he will nominate someone moderate and qualified, not another extremist like Scalia.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

15 Feb 2016, 11:40 am

MDD123 wrote:
Nowhere in the constitution does it even mention lame ducks, once again, this is your subjective opinion. The senate has to provide a reason for denying a nomination, not liking Obama isn't a valid reason. My guess is that he will nominate someone moderate and qualified, not another extremist like Scalia.

Who does it say in the constitution about who gets to confirm SCOTUS appointments?

60 votes is what you need, 60 votes is not what you'll get.

There is nothing anybody can do about it, congress has the power and leverage here not the president. Checks and balances, it's beautiful isn't it? The president cannot rule by decree here!

MDD123
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2016, 11:46 am

Voters are part of those checks and balances, this is election year for the senate too.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2016, 12:35 pm

MDD123 wrote:
Voters are part of those checks and balances, this is election year for the senate too.

And an interesting year it will be, but until then...

MDD123
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2016, 12:54 pm

Until then, Obama will nominate a reasonable replacement, and the Senate will have to provide reasons for denying those appointments. If their plan works and they can block everything for 11 months, this will be a brand new precedent. History would show that out of all of the previous presidents, Obama was the only one who couldn't select a new SC justice because the Senate didn't like him.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2016, 1:08 pm

MDD123 wrote:
Until then, Obama will nominate a reasonable replacement, and the Senate will have to provide reasons for denying those appointments. If their plan works and they can block everything for 11 months, this will be a brand new precedent. History would show that out of all of the previous presidents, Obama was the only one who couldn't select a new SC justice because the Senate didn't like him.

We'll see about reasonable replacement.
There's a reason the senate doesnt like him. Past presidents have managed to work with a house with an opposing party majority. He either doesn't know how to or simply refuses to negotiate.

MDD123
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2016, 2:17 pm

Raptor wrote:
We'll see about reasonable replacement.
There's a reason the senate doesnt like him. Past presidents have managed to work with a house with an opposing party majority. He either doesn't know how to or simply refuses to negotiate.

What's reasonable to you, another Scalia? Someone who unapologetically favors right-wing causes?
What makes Obama so much worse than other presidents? Is there anything specific?