Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

NewTime
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2016, 7:07 pm

I saw that thread titled "hate old people?" and felt like started this one. Anyone here love old people? They can be really entertaining.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2016, 7:09 pm

I think old people are great. They have so much to teach us. And usually they tend to not be too stressed out so it's relaxing to be around many of them. And they can be really funny.

Wreck It Ralph

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2016, 7:16 pm

I'm an old fart myself....so you better like me! :skull: :skull: :skull:

dachsowned
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Feb 2016, 7:20 pm

How old is old? I'm 56 and feel like a kid. I rely on older people to help me keep things in perspective, and I hope I can do the same for younger people.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2016, 7:23 pm

I'm 55 and very much a kid....I was only kidding about being an old fart :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I'm also the WOLFMAN!! !! !!

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2016, 7:27 pm

I am 58, and you all are kids!

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2016, 7:29 pm

I work as a cleaning lady at a care home, so I am used to old people. And I do love the residents there. They are special. Some have that sweet, childlike innocence (ones who are sadly in the later stages of Altzheimer's). The majority of the residents fall somewhere on the Dementia spectrum, and there are just a few that don't have Dementia at all but are just physically dysfunctioned.

But they are all special, even the badly-behaved ones. I don't know how anybody can hate old people.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2016, 7:29 pm

It's nice to be appreciated, though I don't want to be appreciated (or not) solely on the basis of my age. I can see that the OP's intentions are good, though defining people solely by age (even with the best of intentions) is ageist, and a thread named "Anyone Here Love Young People" would be equally ageist. There are a lot of young people I like, a few that I choose to avoid, a few that I love a lot. It has nothing to do with their age. If it were, then I would either like or dislike the whole group based solely on their age. How absurd would that be? Like autistic people, older people want to be accepted not patronised, demonised or disrespected based on something they are over which they have no choice. Older autistic people are doubly disrespected in the current state of Western culture (and even here, sometimes), though less so recently, I am glad to add.

I smile at something the writer G K Chesterton once wryly observed: "when I was young, the young were not respected, now I am old and the old are not respected; I guess I missed out both ways.."

NewTime
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2016, 8:08 pm

B19 wrote:
It's nice to be appreciated, though I don't want to be appreciated (or not) solely on the basis of my age. I can see that the OP's intentions are good, though defining people solely by age (even with the best of intentions) is ageist, and a thread named "Anyone Here Love Young People" would be equally ageist. There are a lot of young people I like, a few that I choose to avoid, a few that I love a lot. It has nothing to do with their age. If it were, then I would either like or dislike the whole group based solely on their age. How absurd would that be? Like autistic people, older people want to be accepted not patronised, demonised or disrespected based on something they are over which they have no choice. Older autistic people are doubly disrespected in the current state of Western culture (and even here, sometimes), though less so recently, I am glad to add.

I smile at something the writer G K Chesterton once wryly observed: "when I was young, the young were not respected, now I am old and the old are not respected; I guess I missed out both ways.."

If someone started a thread here titled "anyone here love dogs?" would that be speciesist?

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2016, 8:10 pm

In my cultures, elders are to be respected and listened to. They have way more knowledge than i do. However i am kinda afriad of most elders, im always afraid if they randomly hit or yell at me but i have this fear for most people due to abuse in early childhood.

DA: http://mephilesdark123.deviantart.com

B19
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2016, 8:17 pm

Bit of a straw man there. Older people are not a different species from younger people (thank goodness) :)

Marybird
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2016, 8:28 pm

I saw that other thread. It made me laugh. And I'm old. I know the op didn't intend it to be funny but it was.

Maybe because when you're young you think you'll always be young and old people were always old.
When you're old you realize you're the same person but time has passed.

Actually we're all here in this same tiny blip of time, We're all young. I have wrinkles but I'm cute.
150 years from now everyone alive on earth today will have died and will have been replaced by a whole new generation of people.

Last edited by Marybird on 15 Feb 2016, 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2016, 8:29 pm

Fnord wrote:
I am 58, and you all are kids!

Here, hear!

I'm 58, and most of the time I feel like 98. If my constitution is anything like my paternal grandmother and her siblings, I'll probably live to the chronological age of 98, and developmentally will be 158 :skull: :skull: :skull:

probly.an.aspie
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2016, 8:49 pm

My grandfather is a historian; and all my grandparents liked to tell me about their childhoods. So from the time I was little, I grew up surrounded by an interest in history. So I have always enjoyed talking to old people because I like to hear their stories.

I am 37 and feel really old myself some days. Especially seeing the difference in the world my kids are growing up in and the world I grew up in, in the 1980s. I know that some of the 50-somethings and up will probably make fun of me for feeling this way and tell me i'm young. :) I do private duty home care for a disabled elderly lady who is in her 80s and she often tells me how young 37 is.

Old vs. young is just a different stage in life. People are who they are at heart--age just accentuates the traits that have been there all along. Or, in some cases, mellows them a bit. At least that is what I have seen in my experience.

and his pride won't let him
do things to make you think he's right."
-Ed Bruce

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2016, 9:12 pm

I'll pick being around older people over younger people any day. I read somewhere that it's actually younger people who are statistically friendlier and more polite than older people and I wondered on what planet? :lol:

But I'm afraid of getting older. I don't want to become dependent and less resistant to illness and injury and then be put in a home. Being in a home when I was in my 20's was bad enough, and I've heard horrors stories about elder abuse. My grandfather passed away not long before Christmas last year. He was in good health until he was almost 80, then he developed arthritis and dementia. :(

My parents are not as old as the parents of most people my age these days, but I also worry about them becoming sick when they get older. I heard that one out of three people will get a heart attack, and I know my dad is the most likely because of his gender, the fact he smoked for most of his life, and his weight. I worry my mom will get dementia just like my grandfather (her father). When your parents get old you're expected to care for them the way they did for you when you were a kid. I don't know if I can handle that, I'm lucky I can even take care of myself.

zkydz
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2016, 11:15 pm

All my life I have been around older people as my preference of company. Sadly, that means I will start aging out of people I like to be around as they die off.

RAADS-R -- 213.3
FQ -- 18.7
EQ -- 13
Aspie Quiz -- 186 out of 200
AQ: 42
AQ-10: 8.8