Disliking when people I don't like, like what I like?

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Memphisto
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Feb 2016, 1:03 pm

I apologise for the thread title :) I tried a less confusing wording, but this seemed to be the only one that got to the point and didn't exceed the character limit.

Anyway, the thread title basically says it. I have an issue where I don't like it when people I'm not fond of/close to share my interests or like the same things as I do. Is this an Aspie trait or simply me being weird?

I believe there may two reasons for this. Firstly, my interests are my identity and I suppose I feel as if others liking what I like somehow steals away what makes me an individual. Secondly, I can't seem to reconcile/accept the idea of someone who I'm unfond of having the same interests as me. It's like I can't see beyond black and white extremes; it's like I need to be the opposite of someone I don't like. Much in the same way that I feel if somone is my friend then we need to be practically identical. It's as if I lack the ability to reconcile my differences with a friend, or my sameness with a stranger/someone I dislike.

An example would be I dislike the idea of relatives I'm not close to liking the same music as me.

Does anyone else have a similar problem?
Thanks. :)

neilson_wheels
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2016, 3:09 pm

Personally I think that is a Memphisto trait rather than an Aspie trait.

Memphisto
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Feb 2016, 6:44 pm

Thanks for your reply, neilson_wheels. I figured as much. :)

slenkar
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2016, 9:28 pm

I found out the school bully liked warhammer 40k and I didn't like it :D
I was like how does HE like it!

mrfoggy
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

20 Feb 2016, 1:32 am

That's probably a ego or elitist issue ?
Living In Your own world syndrome

enneagram most like 5w4 - The Investigator / The Individualist
IQ 120 -130 High in Visual Intellgence

Memphisto
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Feb 2016, 6:05 pm

mrfoggy wrote:
That's probably a ego or elitist issue ?
Living In Your own world syndrome

I suppose you're talking to me. If not, I'm sorry for misunderstanding. What you've said is likely true. Sadly, I've spent most of my life living in a box, mostly only ever talking to someone I've got a strong attachment to, so I honestly have no idea how to interact with other people in a healthy manner. I am probably one of the most screwed up people in the world and it would be a severe understatement to say that I don't like myself at all... because I loathe myself. I'm not sure whether you meant this reply in a negative manner, you probably didn't at all, but I'm overly sensitive, so I guess I've ended up seeing it that way, and to be honest it makes me wonder if I will just be an annoyance to everyone here. I'm sorry.

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2016, 6:09 pm

Usually that would make me rethink about why I didn't like them - if we have some of the same interests.

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 83 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 153 of 200 You are very likely neurotypical
Darn, I flunked.