Do potato sprouts emit particles or gas?

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Alladin
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

19 Feb 2016, 2:40 pm

I've had these potatoes for months I think, they're not rotting but theres lots of these deadly red and green sprouts growing out of them. I'm scared to take them out, as there could be stuff I shouldn't breath.

DoNotDisturb
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 Feb 2016, 3:27 pm

The potatoes are desperately reaching out for life. You can take them out and plant them if you have a garden. If you leave them where they are, they'll eventually shrivel up and rot and that would be more dangerous to your health. Best to take them out now. They won't hurt you.

Alladin
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

19 Feb 2016, 4:02 pm

DoNotDisturb wrote:
The potatoes are desperately reaching out for life. You can take them out and plant them if you have a garden. If you leave them where they are, they'll eventually shrivel up and rot and that would be more dangerous to your health. Best to take them out now. They won't hurt you.

Ok thank you for the advice, I'll get some gloves so I don't cut my finger and take them out!

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2016, 9:07 pm

I read somewhere you should not eat potatoes if they are still green or sprouting out shoots because they are poisonous but I never heard of being poisoned just from handling or being near them, otherwise I would have gotten poisoned a long time ago.