High functioning autism and Adapative functioning

Page 5 of 6 [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 18 May 2011
Gender: Female
Posts: 7,458
Location: Lost Angleles Carmen Santiago

22 Feb 2016, 11:12 pm

For initiation, you mean getting started on a task?
I find that it is often hard to start on a task, even an easy task, but once I start, I get into it quickly and finish easily or get some part done with no problem.
The only way I found that works is simply to force start.


_________________
Drain and plane and grain and blain your brain, and then again,
Propane and butane out of the gas main, your blain shall sustain!


Yigeren
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 20 Dec 2015
Gender: Female
Posts: 2,606
Location: United States

22 Feb 2016, 11:59 pm

I just have to force myself to do things. It's actually really hard, although it seems so simple. "You've just got to make yourself do it," people say. Well, easy for them to say, but not for me to accomplish.

I have found that the sooner I get something started, the better. Often it's anxiety holding me back. The longer I wait, the more time I have to think about how much I don't want to do whatever it is, and develop further anxiety, making it even more difficult to get started.

With tasks that aren't necessarily unpleasant, but which I don't feel like doing, it's actually harder. Because what's holding me back is the fact that I'd rather be doing something else, and it's often something I'm mentally absorbed in. Or it's because I've completely forgotten what it is I should be doing. The anxiety about completing certain tasks at least keeps them in my mind, so that I won't forget that they need to be accomplished. Otherwise they are often forgotten, and it can be months or years before I get around to doing whatever it is.



Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 14 Apr 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 7,893

23 Feb 2016, 12:00 am

Despite any possible male privilege, boasting how smart you are while male is a good way to get beaten up till they damage your brain so you're no longer smart at all.


_________________
The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.


zkydz
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 7 Nov 2015
Age: 58
Posts: 3,215
Location: USA

23 Feb 2016, 12:07 am

Spiderpig wrote:
Despite any possible male privilege, boasting how smart you are while male is a good way to get beaten up till they damage your brain so you're no longer smart at all.
Not my experience at all. As a matter of fact, I find that women that are smart have it harder.

This new captcha/sign in system is really getting bad. It makes me sign in anew each time I come back. It will not let me back out of a thread I am looking and go back to the index. It makes me sign in to post (after signing in anyway). Sometimes it kicks me back to the main index. Sometimes it makes me sign in, sign in to reply, sign in to captcha and then sign in again.

What happened?


_________________
Diagnosed April 14, 2016
ASD Level 1 without intellectual impairments.

RAADS-R -- 213.3
FQ -- 18.7
EQ -- 13
Aspie Quiz -- 186 out of 200
AQ: 42
AQ-10: 8.8


Cyllya1
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

User avatar

Joined: 26 Apr 2015
Gender: Female
Posts: 320
Location: Arizona, USA

23 Feb 2016, 12:22 am

Spiderpig wrote:
Despite any possible male privilege, boasting how smart you are while male is a good way to get beaten up till they damage your brain so you're no longer smart at all.


I think that's true, but you have a little more wiggle room for what most other people would perceive as boasting. That's the impression I get anyway.


_________________
I have a blog - Here's the post on social skills.


rugulach
Toucan
Toucan

User avatar

Joined: 14 Jun 2014
Age: 1999
Gender: Male
Posts: 282

23 Feb 2016, 4:25 pm

What I gather from reading LaetiBlabla's posts is that she is a true blue aspie with a high affinity for detail and precision.



zkydz
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 7 Nov 2015
Age: 58
Posts: 3,215
Location: USA

23 Feb 2016, 4:54 pm

rugulach wrote:
What I gather from reading LaetiBlabla's posts is that she is a true blue aspie with a high affinity for detail and precision.

I can believe that. But, if a person has a known communication issue, it would stand that they wouldn't blame others for not understanding or denigrate them.


_________________
Diagnosed April 14, 2016
ASD Level 1 without intellectual impairments.

RAADS-R -- 213.3
FQ -- 18.7
EQ -- 13
Aspie Quiz -- 186 out of 200
AQ: 42
AQ-10: 8.8


LaetiBlabla
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 31 Dec 2015
Posts: 981
Location: Earth

25 Feb 2016, 12:14 pm

zkydz wrote:
I can believe that. But, if a person has a known communication issue, it would stand that they wouldn't blame others for not understanding or denigrate them.


I do not blame and have never blamed or denigrated you or anybody for not understanding . Please, where do you get this from again?

With regards to my childhood's "communication issues", I am even infinitely grateful for the many people who trusted me because they saw behind the 7-year-old girl, not able to communicate, a little girl with potential. Those are exceptional people who helped me overcome my difficulties (even when unaware of this diagnosis), with their every day self-investment.

I thank those people, they gave me trust and i think trust is the main thing an autist needs to go further.

And for those who did not understand, or would not understand me now, i have never "blamed" or "denigrated" them and will never do. Misunderstanding is typical human. There is nothing to be angry about.



zkydz
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 7 Nov 2015
Age: 58
Posts: 3,215
Location: USA

25 Feb 2016, 1:23 pm

LaetiBlabla wrote:
zkydz wrote:
I can believe that. But, if a person has a known communication issue, it would stand that they wouldn't blame others for not understanding or denigrate them.


I do not blame and have never blamed you or anybody for not understanding or denigrate my "communication issue". Please, where do you get this from again?

Well, here:

LaetiBlabla wrote:
I think Autism is disabling, high IQ is also disabling.


You say a high IQ is disabling. And nothing has ever been put forth by you that clarifies that.

LaetiBlabla wrote:
High IQ is disabling while around with other people with lower IQ.
I tell you from long experience.
You can understand it only if you have high IQ.
Having high IQ feels like if you were living in the middle of monkeys who laugh at you when you speak, because you do not say "hoo hoo hoo hoo". Then you have to translate your language into "hoo hoo s" ...exhausting.

Also, you learn to not care about insults like those above. You learn to have mercy for others' misunderstanding.
Here you equate others who do not understand you with monkeys.

LaetiBlabla wrote:
^^i simply present my thoughts, and my feelings. You should not feel aggressed when you do not agree with somebody, it's bad for your happiness and it doesn't help you understand because you are on the defensive mode. You insult me because you take everything like a personal attack.
No, I think that you do not express yourself well and all I have tried to do is let you understand that many people will have difficulty with the elliptical way you express yourself. You are the one who said these things and then blamed me for not understanding, so, are you call me a monkey as well?

LaetiBlabla wrote:
For example, here you say "you said I "twisted" your meaning".
This is not true i said : "you misunderstood or distorted what i say." (what again is happening here)
Here you chose to take something out of context and then tried to use the wording to invalidate the actual meaning.

So, yeah, I think you have communication issues and should recognize it. I have to do the same. But you need to stop blaming everybody who doesn't get your ideas. Accept some responsibility that you are the person who is trying to get an idea across. Blaming others will not help.

So, with people who have incoming communication issues, your thought process is, as you say, "Having high IQ feels like if you were living in the middle of monkeys who laugh at you when you speak, because you do not say "hoo hoo hoo hoo".

And, you specifically state, "Then you have to translate your language into "hoo hoo s" ...exhausting.."

So yeah, I can honestly say you come across as arrogant. I can honestly say that if your attitude is that having to "translate your language into "hoo hoo s"" is for the general masses, no wonder you have difficulty.

I have the same difficulties. But, I don't blame others for it.


_________________
Diagnosed April 14, 2016
ASD Level 1 without intellectual impairments.

RAADS-R -- 213.3
FQ -- 18.7
EQ -- 13
Aspie Quiz -- 186 out of 200
AQ: 42
AQ-10: 8.8


LaetiBlabla
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 31 Dec 2015
Posts: 981
Location: Earth

25 Feb 2016, 1:52 pm

zkydz wrote:
LaetiBlabla wrote:
zkydz wrote:
I can believe that. But, if a person has a known communication issue, it would stand that they wouldn't blame others for not understanding or denigrate them.


I do not blame and have never blamed you or anybody for not understanding or denigrate my "communication issue". Please, where do you get this from again?

Well, here:

LaetiBlabla wrote:
I think Autism is disabling, high IQ is also disabling.


Sorry, this is not blaming or denigrating:
"i think" = this is my thoughts
"is disabling" = causing adaptation problem

Blaming , definitions:
- An act of attributing fault; censure; reproof.
- Responsibility for anything deserving of censure

Denigrating, definitons:
- To speak damagingly of; criticize in a derogatory manner; sully; defame:
- To treat or represent as lacking in value or importance; belittle; disparage:



Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 14 Apr 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 7,893

25 Feb 2016, 2:36 pm

Looks like it's time to summon good ol' ...

Image


_________________
The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.


LaetiBlabla
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 31 Dec 2015
Posts: 981
Location: Earth

25 Feb 2016, 4:28 pm

Words mean things.



Yigeren
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 20 Dec 2015
Gender: Female
Posts: 2,606
Location: United States

25 Feb 2016, 7:46 pm

Spiderpig wrote:
Looks like it's time to summon good ol' ...

Image



I really love that one. :lol:

Maybe I should carry a sharp knife with me from now on, may come in handy.



LaetiBlabla
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 31 Dec 2015
Posts: 981
Location: Earth

25 Feb 2016, 8:32 pm

Yigeren wrote:
Maybe I should carry a sharp knife with me from now on, may come in handy.


I never carry a sharp knife with me.
Because carrying a sharp knife is very likely to hurt yourself.



ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Jan 2013
Age: 21
Gender: Female
Posts: 2,519
Location: Canada

26 Feb 2016, 1:46 am

JakeASD wrote:
I have a low IQ and my adaptive skills are terrible, too. Thus, there isn't a discrepancy for me, personally.

I am convinced that I am intellectually handicapped but both my psychiatrist and case manager disagree. :(



Same, i preformed very poorly on specific areas of my I.Q, Verbal, Working Memory, and Information Processing speed was all either below average or in low average but my Visual And Spatial is top notch.

I also have problems preforming tasks with multiple steps in sequence.

I cant count how many times i mess up making Kraft Dinner.


_________________
Obsessing over Sonic the Hedgehog since 2009
Diagnosed with Aspergers' syndrome in 2012.
Diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorder Level 1 severity without intellectual disability and without language impairment in 2015.

DA: http://mephilesdark123.deviantart.com

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 170 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 43 of 200
You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)