Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

MissAlgernon
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Feb 2016, 12:11 pm

I have a problem with identifying clothing styles, matching clothes together. I know a few basic rules of fashion such as combinations of colours, but I had to learn everything ; and identifying what's for young girls, what's for old ladies, how you create your style, if I should wear this dress alone or not... It's so complicated, beyond my comprehension, that shopping has become one of the activities I fear the most, to the point where it can make me cry in public because I'm desperately trying to understand over-complicated rules. I'm trying to find patterns but I barely see any patterns at all. I usually don't buy clothes without someone else's help, but it doesn't help me understand what I should wear or not.
Is it just me, or fashion is actually more natural and instinctual to NTs ?
Did you have such problems in the past, and if you managed to solve them, what made you learn fashion ? What really helped you ?

xxZeromancerlovexx
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2016, 12:55 pm

Fashion is my number one interest in life! :)
I am here to help!

What I did to create my style was not to worry about trends. I don't believe in dressing within your body type because it limits what to wear. Don't be afraid to exiparament with textures, patterns, fabric types and colors. That's how I learned and eventually I discovered that it's okay to wear all sorts of clothes.

Try out all kinds of stores too. Not just for clothes but also cute accessories and shoes.

Some days I have a "bad fashion day" my eyeshadow creases, my lips gloss is a bit off, I'm not all together and remember that those days are a part of fashion and beauty.

Fun
Accessorize
Style
Having fun
Individuality
Other people's thoughts don't matter
Never ever give up!

-Down, The Birthday Massacre

MissAlgernon
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Feb 2016, 5:29 pm

Well... I experimented more when I was younger, and it wasn't successful to say the least. Even now, I don't always choose clothes that are appropriate for me. Even when I'm shopping with someone else, sometimes when I choose something myself, sometimes the person who helps me choosing looks at me as if I were crazy to consider buying that. To be honest, I wouldn't even know how to make the difference between some men's clothes and women's clothes, especially when their shapes aren't very different, if both departments weren't separate. It's truly the basics that I don't understand, unfortunately.

Yigeren
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2016, 6:06 pm

I have a hard time noticing what's fashionable, and realizing what clothing and hairstyles are appropriate for my age, and for different social occasions. I usually err on the side of caution, and dress more formally if I'm unsure.

I have to purposefully take notice of what other people are wearing, because otherwise I don't pay attention. When I start to become confused, I go out of my way to notice what all of the women seem to be wearing. And then I end up staring at people, hoping that they don't notice and get creeped out.

However, I can tell what looks good and what doesn't, and have no trouble with matching clothes. I probably make my outfits match better than most people, actually.

It's just that for some reason I don't notice fashion trends as well as others, and can't figure out what's appropriate for social occasions. If fashion trends and appropriateness didn't matter, I'd have no trouble putting together a very visually appealing outfit.

So I guess my problem is part of the "social awareness" aspect of ASD. I can't figure out how to dress in order to fit in with everyone else.

What I should do is stop worrying about everyone else, and wear what I find appealing. When I used to do that, I frequently got complimented on my unique sense of style. But that was in middle school, and after that I was trying hard to fit in.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2016, 6:11 pm

I never had any real sense of fashion, no real interest either....I just wear metal band t-shirts and jeans mostly. So yeah never did go to the trouble of learning fashion, I also don't wear make up either usually. Why do you think you have to be fashionable? I mean I imagine maybe you could simplify some of these rules you're trying so desperately to follow...maybe you're complicating it too much as I don't think its an exact science even for fashionable NTs. Also though I know for a fact NT females can also get really stressed about this kind of thing. I myself for whatever reason have just always been more indifferent to fashion so I can't relate to the feeling.

MissAlgernon
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Feb 2016, 7:22 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
Why do you think you have to be fashionable?

Not really fashionable, I just wish I'd simply have enough taste to choose "normal" combinations of clothes, not something that others view as ugly. I just want to look "OK". I truly have trouble dressing appropriately, and as I'm a job seeker, it's a big problem.

Yigeren
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2016, 8:37 pm

You should see if someone could go shopping with you and help you out. If you have a store that you go to, I could try to look online and show you some combinations that are appropriate for work. I'm pretty good with office attire. It's the more confusing social events that mess me up.

LillyDale
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

24 Feb 2016, 12:09 am

I worked as a costume designer for a while. I try to break down outfits or what goes with what backwards. IE: this is the "costume" for this role (job seeker, manager, going to the grocery store) then I try to put it together by assembling the pieces. There is a bit of a science to it that I don't think every gets conveyed in how fashion is marketed to people today.

There are the actual garments (skirts, pants, shoes, boots, shirts etc), the color of them and then the type of fabric (that includes the texture).

There are some tools and articles out there that tell people how to build a wardrobe and also visual websites that show outfits. The basics for building a work wardrobe are usually foolproof. Everything in the group of clothing should go together so it is harder to make a mistake. This one shows the parts they bought and then assembles them into outfits.
https://www.themuse.com/advice/secrets- ... om-scratch

For work or formal clothes I try to stick to classic styles and ignore fads.

Some other things that might help is looking at different kinds of outfits on Pinterest. You could look up things like grocery store outfits or work clothes and see what comes up. Polyvore is also a useful visual tool for looking at complete outfits by purpose, style, color etc. http://www.polyvore.com/

MissAlgernon
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Feb 2016, 6:37 pm

Yigeren wrote:
You should see if someone could go shopping with you and help you out. If you have a store that you go to, I could try to look online and show you some combinations that are appropriate for work. I'm pretty good with office attire. It's the more confusing social events that mess me up.

Thank you, I accept with pleasure :) But I don't live in the US, so I understand if it would be too difficult for you.
I order from stores anywhere in the European Union, as long as it's cheap. My budget is low but I can make an exception once in a while for luxury textile or something I'm going to keep for a very long time. I don't really have good addresses, just a few discount stores and the most popular stores in the EU. I can also order from US stores that deliver worldwide, and if necessary I also can use an address in the US for other stores, but I limit it as much as possible to not have to pay too much customs duties.

LillyDale wrote:
I worked as a costume designer for a while. I try to break down outfits or what goes with what backwards. IE: this is the "costume" for this role (job seeker, manager, going to the grocery store) then I try to put it together by assembling the pieces. There is a bit of a science to it that I don't think every gets conveyed in how fashion is marketed to people today.

There are the actual garments (skirts, pants, shoes, boots, shirts etc), the color of them and then the type of fabric (that includes the texture).

There are some tools and articles out there that tell people how to build a wardrobe and also visual websites that show outfits. The basics for building a work wardrobe are usually foolproof. Everything in the group of clothing should go together so it is harder to make a mistake. This one shows the parts they bought and then assembles them into outfits.

Some other things that might help is looking at different kinds of outfits on Pinterest. You could look up things like grocery store outfits or work clothes and see what comes up. Polyvore is also a useful visual tool for looking at complete outfits by purpose, style, color etc. http://www.polyvore.com/

Thank you for the links and advice, it really helps :)

goofygoobers
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2016, 11:41 am

I don't have a great sense of fashion. I still wear clothes that I bought when I was a teenager, so I've been dressing the same for years. I've seen makeover-type shows and a lot of what they recommend wearing are things that don't fit my body type well or are uncomfortable. I would recommend only changing your style if it's to make yourself look more professional.

Wewnaw
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

27 Feb 2016, 1:14 pm

I have real trouble understanding what 'goes together' or what's appropriate for an occasion. I used to try hard to wear the 'right thing' but I found it so stressful shopping and preparing that I'd hate the whole experience so much that I'd just cancel going to things. I'm lucky in that I wear a uniform for work, that after washing a lot and cutting out labels etc I feel quite comfortable in. However, for training and study days I still have the stress of finding something appropriate. I mostly wear jeans, trainers, vest and jumper. I like certain materials, cuts and colours and feel very uncomfortable and self conscious if I need to deviate from that. Shopping is a nightmare and I hate if my favoured items are not available. I'd really like to be able to wear other things and know what to buy, especially for work.

RAADS-R score: 189.0
Seeking diagnosis

TheAP
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2016, 1:25 pm

I don't really have a sense of fashion either. I like looking at fashionable outfits, but in real life I just pick some random clothes that go reasonably well together and are comfortable. My wardrobe is very limited, mostly just simple sweaters and shirts and pants.

Yigeren
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2016, 4:49 pm

MissAlgernon wrote:
Yigeren wrote:

Thank you, I accept with pleasure :) But I don't live in the US, so I understand if it would be too difficult for you.
I order from stores anywhere in the European Union, as long as it's cheap. My budget is low but I can make an exception once in a while for luxury textile or something I'm going to keep for a very long time. I don't really have good addresses, just a few discount stores and the most popular stores in the EU. I can also order from US stores that deliver worldwide, and if necessary I also can use an address in the US for other stores, but I limit it as much as possible to not have to pay too much customs duties.

LillyDale wrote:

Thank you for the links and advice, it really helps :)

Well let me know where you live, and you can PM me any links to a place you think you'd like to shop. I do know that fashion does vary a bit between Europe and the U.S., however I believe office attire is pretty consistent. You can PM me any info, and I will do my best to give you even some hypothetical outfits for professional attire.

I unfortunately know little about what stores are in the EU, so I'm not sure where to begin to look. But with a general idea, I can help you out.

Noura4eva
Toucan
Toucan

27 Feb 2016, 5:45 pm

Strangely I am very good at picking nice outfits out for other people , going by my taste and not theirs.
I personally never cared about fashion, except briefly in my early teens.
Then I decided I will just do my own thing, and comfort is always the think I prefer.
Usually dark loose fitting trousers and a longish cotton top with long sleeves.
Boring but practical and comfortable for me.

JennaTheAspie
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Mar 2016, 12:44 pm

To me, there is no wrong or right to fashion. I love colorful things, dresses, skirts, pants, tees, and I really love colorful jewelry whether it be big or small. I also love black and earth tones for anything. I've come to not care what people think of me much.

Another thing I like to do is look at coordinating pieces in the catalogs of places I like to shop.

macandpea

03 Mar 2016, 8:32 am

I can so relate, I love buying clothes and trying to put outfits together but I've never managed to get the hang of this style thing - I tried just wearing whatever the hell I wanted but my mum staged an intervention and told me I look like a 13 year old with no clue. Rude! Although now that I'm approaching 30 I'm trying to evolve my wardrobe to be more mature.

As for job seeking clothes, that doesn't have to be anything fancy. Think business pants or skirt and a button up shirt. Good to go.