Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

heffe1981
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

24 Feb 2016, 12:06 am

Do disabled people have to take a normal road test? What kind of concessions are made? Do you have to prove your disability? I live in NY state.

Not really on Xbox live

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2016, 3:35 am

I would assume a regular driving test would be required. I took a regular one (although at the time I was still in the middle of assessment and didn't have my diagnosis on paper yet). Driving is one of those things that concessions can't really be made for; you have to be able to do it as well as everyone else, or you're a danger to yourself and others on the road. I was really anxious for my driving test because driving, tests, and strangers, especially being alone with strangers in close quarters, all really scare me, but when it came down to it, I felt better than I thought I would, and passed with only seven of a possible 21 points taken off. It's one of those things that seems a lot worse when you think about it than it actually turns out to be.

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!

izzeme
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2016, 6:57 am

This depends on the specific disability.

A disabled person is subjected to the same situations (low-visibility road crossings, parallel parking, basic vehicle control...) as a non-disabled person, but some alterations to the vehicle are allowed and/or required. These alterations are then mentioned on the licence.

for example, someone who has difficulty controlling his left leg will get a licence which is marked as "automatic vehicles only", or someone with a marked eyesight disability will be marked as "is obliged to wear his glasses"

So, in short: yes, you take the same road test as anyone else, but it need not be in the same vehicle.
and yes, the disability needs to be proven to inhibit your ability to drive in a 'normal' situation, but still be possible to overcome with some alterations

heffe1981
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

24 Feb 2016, 9:57 pm

StarTrekker wrote:
I would assume a regular driving test would be required. I took a regular one (although at the time I was still in the middle of assessment and didn't have my diagnosis on paper yet). Driving is one of those things that concessions can't really be made for; you have to be able to do it as well as everyone else, or you're a danger to yourself and others on the road. I was really anxious for my driving test because driving, tests, and strangers, especially being alone with strangers in close quarters, all really scare me, but when it came down to it, I felt better than I thought I would, and passed with only seven of a possible 21 points taken off. It's one of those things that seems a lot worse when you think about it than it actually turns out to be.

This is my situation. Except strangers do not make me nervous. I seem to have an almost instant love/hate relationship with people. They either love me or hate me right away. I get along fine with people that like me. But some people just seem to hate me for no reason. And when an authority figure hates me they do everything they can to make our interaction as miserable as possible.

Not really on Xbox live