Page 10 of 10 [ 156 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2020, 11:38 am

Mountain Goat wrote:
Jakki wrote:
omg gawd car enthusiasts talking in engine displacements of less than 6 - 7 litres motors.
shame... shame...... ( written tongue in cheek) my oh my times have changed . And now its power to weight ratio. torquey little diesel motors chugging along .and a little turbo charger and you got a real workhorse. Now the conversation has turned to miles per gallon ( or litres). Times have changed but , the little VW beetle that got down the road just fine ..higher maintenence , but
have in earlier days owned a few of original mini coopers , good gas mileage. And always seems to stumble into various versions of a Cooper 'S' . My gosh those were great fun . and if the right factory suspension kinda fun to tour in . And lord knows how it was done but the car appeared bigger inside than outside the car . That car responded quite well from power to weight mofifications .( secretly would miss my old 1951 buick roadmaster, big old clunky thing. Rode like a dream.)

I guess we have to talk miles per gallon here as the explosive oily liquid is soo expensive. I have seen it £1.37 and £1.39 a letre for diesel. Is normally £1.35 or less. That is around £7 a gallon. What is that in dollars?[/quote

am guessing about 6.4 usd /per gallon

where ever you go ,there you are

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2020, 3:28 pm

Jakki wrote:
Mountain Goat wrote:
Jakki wrote:
omg gawd car enthusiasts talking in engine displacements of less than 6 - 7 litres motors.
shame... shame...... ( written tongue in cheek) my oh my times have changed . And now its power to weight ratio. torquey little diesel motors chugging along .and a little turbo charger and you got a real workhorse. Now the conversation has turned to miles per gallon ( or litres). Times have changed but , the little VW beetle that got down the road just fine ..higher maintenence , but
have in earlier days owned a few of original mini coopers , good gas mileage. And always seems to stumble into various versions of a Cooper 'S' . My gosh those were great fun . and if the right factory suspension kinda fun to tour in . And lord knows how it was done but the car appeared bigger inside than outside the car . That car responded quite well from power to weight mofifications .( secretly would miss my old 1951 buick roadmaster, big old clunky thing. Rode like a dream.)

I guess we have to talk miles per gallon here as the explosive oily liquid is soo expensive. I have seen it £1.37 and £1.39 a letre for diesel. Is normally £1.35 or less. That is around £7 a gallon. What is that in dollars?[/quote

Is that about the same as you pay over there?

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2020, 7:22 pm

Mountain Goat wrote:
Jakki wrote:
Mountain Goat wrote:
Jakki wrote:

nope ........... think we pay less.

where ever you go ,there you are

QuantumChemist
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2020, 9:59 pm

Jakki wrote:
Mountain Goat wrote:
Jakki wrote:
Mountain Goat wrote:
Jakki wrote:

It varies upon location and type, but it is usually between $2 to $3 per gallon in the US for gasoline. Diesel is a little bit higher than that at around $3.50 per gallon.

I can remember factory built Cadillacs that had 8 L (500 ci) displacement engines in the 1970s. Not the most fuel efficient engine made, but it could get the big 3 ton tanks a going.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2020, 11:11 pm

Mountain Goat wrote:
They are adjustable in back and fore, and the back is adjustable, and the height is adjustable and so is the steering height and its angle etc. Is just the adjustment does not quite reach the position I would like.

i think the mitsubishis they sell in europe are fancier than the ones sold here.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2020, 2:34 am

they are, i have seen them. suzukis are more common over there as well - they are like nissans, here. japan and europe share the need for cars smaller than us amuuricans usually get.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

uncommondenominator
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2020, 2:53 am

Cars are my top #1 special interest. Have been my whole life. As a kid I wanted a muscle car like a Camaro Z28, complete with massive supercharger poking out thru the bonnet. Then one day a friend gave me a copy of Import Tuner magazine he didn't want, and I fell in love with Japanese tuner cars. For the last 10 years I've been heavily modifying an old Nissan 240SX.

Its cool to see so many people into micro cars and Kei cars like the suzuki's and mitsi's that have been mentioned here.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2020, 4:58 am

QuantumChemist wrote:
Jakki wrote:
Mountain Goat wrote:
Jakki wrote:
Mountain Goat wrote:
Jakki wrote:

It varies upon location and type, but it is usually between $2 to $3 per gallon in the US for gasoline. Diesel is a little bit higher than that at around $3.50 per gallon.

I can remember factory built Cadillacs that had 8 L (500 ci) displacement engines in the 1970s. Not the most fuel efficient engine made, but it could get the big 3 ton tanks a going.

My brother had one for a few years. He didn't use it. A Fleetwood with 8 seats if one folds out the backwards seats. 500ci. Yes. Had air suspension. They only just managed to drive it up here. He was given it by an older rich gentleman who didn't have time to keep it nice, and as he was travelling round the world, he used to take his lovely immaculate old Rolls Royce with him. He said that his Rolls had travelled millions of miles, but had hardly any milage on the clock... It was all via ship! When he went from one country to the next he would have his car folow him in a container, which sometimes took months for his car to catch up with him!
The Fleetwood was a massive car. He also had a 3.3 straight six 1980's Mustang which was smaller then my Volvo 740GLT I had at the time. He never had that on the road either. They were basically in the way up here so eventually they were sold. The Fleetwood was an odd one. He had a potential buyer who had one and wanted another for spares, but he looked at it and said it was far too good to scrap. But after ages of trying to sell it or even give it away with no interest, a scrap dealer ended up with it and carefully towed it away. I doubt it was scrapped though because the dealer was being too careful with it...
The Mustang needed four tyres and a new radiator. The tyres were a different size so would have to be imported from the USA, so though it had lovely wheels, my brother was going to put normal UK Ford wheels on it instead to UK sizes. The radiator. The only one that he could get in those days of the same size was of a Sherpa van, and he put it in, but the Sherpa had less hose fittings... So the car was not ready for the road.
When he advertized it, he had so much interest. A buyer drove half way across Britain and bought it straight away , and for months aftet people were still phoning!

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2020, 5:21 am

My last car I did not have for long as I had a warning in the form of a dream. It was a quick little car. A Citroen C2 GT.
It was more of a track racing car then a practical road car though. It felt hemmed in to drive due to the two massive metal cage like beams and also, I had to be soo light on the brakes. I hardly had to push them and it did a dead stop! The first time out on this country road, I went to slow down as a car was coming the other way so we could pass safely, gently pressed the brake and the car did a dead stop and I was left embarissed as the other driver aas puzzled why I had stopped the car. It went though. It was the second manual car I have owned which could accelerate quicker then I could physically change the gears. The first was a Volvo 740GLT which only had 4 gears (Though it had an overdrive as well). That 740 could leave the T5 I later owned standing!
I sold some of my model trains so I could part exchange the C2, and I could only find three cars in my price range, which were two little Renaults which had had a hard time, and Mitsi. I didn't really want a diesel. Had three diesels in the past. But when I drove Mitsi she had some go to her even though the tyres were half flat as she had sat in the dealer for some time. Mitsi felt like a car built round an engine! :D I fell in love!

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2020, 6:00 am

i wish somebody would see fit to make a truly high-quality little american market car. one with quality materials in it, quality suspension, refinement. the buick encore comes closest to this but it is criminally overpriced. good engineering does NOT have to cost more than mediocre engineering.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2020, 6:05 am

I like watching youtube videos about cars. Like Jay Leno's Garage and Doug DeMuro's and Scotty Kilmer's videos.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2020, 9:00 am

EzraS wrote:
I like watching youtube videos about cars. Like Jay Leno's Garage and Doug DeMuro's and Scotty Kilmer's videos.

I like those too. One young man did a spoof video of Scotty!