Those who enjoy writing stories, what do you write about?

Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2016, 7:16 pm

I write stories about general family life. I make up a family (mum and/or dad, and 3 or more children), some stories are written in first person, others are in third person.

I know it might sound a bit mundane but I like mundane stuff. One of my stories is about a 12-year-old boy with four sisters (one teenager, two kids and a baby), and this boy faces awkward situations, usually caused by his smartass teenage sister, and the two little kids often get away with murder, so the boy gets in trouble. He has one best friend at school who he hangs out with and escapes his annoying sisters, but then he falls out with his best friend and tries to make other friends, which all ends up in disaster. The boy isn't Aspie, but I got some ideas from some of my awkward social experiences.

What do you write about?

TheAP
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2016, 7:39 pm

I have written about a number of things: girls and their lives, people with Asperger's, sci-fi dystopias, and Choose Your Own Adventure stories. Unfortunately, I lose interest quickly, so most of my stories are unfinished. But your stories sound really good, I would enjoy reading them.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2016, 7:46 pm

I draw and make up my own cartoons, so the stories I've written are about my characters that I also use in my illustrations. I like to call them "stories that think they're animated movies" since they are fantasy and/or comedy based and my art style is similar to Disney, but with a few of my own personal touches. Of course one would expect their target audience is young children, but I try to make them appealing to readers of all ages.

It's just too bad I'll never have them made into real books and no one will ever see them except for a few close personal friends and relatives. I don't write stories that much any more. :(

TheAP
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2016, 7:53 pm

lostonearth35 wrote:
I draw and make up my own cartoons, so the stories I've written are about my characters that I also use in my illustrations. I like to call them "stories that think they're animated movies" since they are fantasy and/or comedy based and my art style is similar to Disney, but with a few of my own personal touches. Of course one would expect their target audience is young children, but I try to make them appealing to readers of all ages.

It's just too bad I'll never have them made into real books and no one will ever see them except for a few close personal friends and relatives. I don't write stories that much any more. :(

I'm sure you could still get them published.

QuillAlba
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2016, 7:57 pm

Joe90 wrote:
I write stories about general family life. I make up a family (mum and/or dad, and 3 or more children), some stories are written in first person, others are in third person.

I know it might sound a bit mundane but I like mundane stuff. One of my stories is about a 12-year-old boy with four sisters (one teenager, two kids and a baby), and this boy faces awkward situations, usually caused by his smartass teenage sister, and the two little kids often get away with murder, so the boy gets in trouble. He has one best friend at school who he hangs out with and escapes his annoying sisters, but then he falls out with his best friend and tries to make other friends, which all ends up in disaster. The boy isn't Aspie, but I got some ideas from some of my awkward social experiences.

What do you write about?

Mike Leigh(sp?) writes simple stories about families, maybe not such a bad genre after all.

I tend to write stories about love, mostly starring my latest crush, these stories tend to have a twist and never a happy ending.

Kuraudo777
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2016, 7:54 pm

I write fantasy love stories and poetry and finished my first fantasy novel back at the end of January. 8)

A memory is something that has to be consciously recalled, right? That's why sometimes it can be mistaken and a different thing. But it's different from a memory locked deep within your heart. Words aren't the only way to tell someone how you feel.” Tifa Lockheart, Final Fantasy VII

DemonAbyss
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Feb 2016, 4:17 am

Usually stick to fantasy. Tried to write other stuff and I just wind up losing interest like 10 words in.

Usually my subject matter and tone tends towards the grim-dark variety. Quite a bit revolving around religion (a lot of it being anti-religious but not anti-spiritual; personal faith vs mass brainwashing tends to be a theme here), humanity-as-god (or I can better explain it as humanity needing to stand on its own feet instead of turning to religious faith and superstition for answers to just about everything.), politics, "racism (and ideology wars in general)" (well in terms of my writing, those who are able to use magic vs those who don't, as well as between the different ideologies and forms of magic.), other socio-economic-political issues as I feel necessary. Morality is also hit upon pretty hard.

As for more personal things for characters; depression, insanity, making the really hard decisions that can cause said depression or insanity, the variableness of good and evil.

Much of my writing explores the roots, 'the whys of things', instead of merely echoing kantian concepts of absolutes.

Hopper
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2016, 3:46 pm

Obsession, mental collapse, some supernatural/weird stuff.

That said, I had a short story about a waitress who can see a man is about to propose and that his intended is aware of (and worried about) it, and so tries to intervene and stop it from happening.

You know sometimes, between the dames and the horses, I don't even know why I put my hat on.

planet me
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

29 Feb 2016, 2:29 am

Horror and tragedy. We learn the best when things go horribly wrong....

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2016, 3:17 am

While I have in the past toyed with crime fiction, and action/adventure, I primarily write horror. I've recently picked up work I had lost inspiration for over a year ago, on a novel based in my home of Spokane/Spokane Valley, concerning werewolves, and how it's the man and not the creature who he becomes, which determines if he's good or evil. I had been working on short fiction almost exclusively for over a year, when I felt the call of the aborted novel I had been writing on and off - and which had been lost and rewritten at least a couple times - and so I started work on it, again.

thehandler
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

04 Mar 2016, 5:15 am

I try to write a variety of stuff but I always fall back on a mix of sci-fi/fantasy + action/adventure with a bit of gay romance mixed in. :mrgreen:

b9
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2016, 5:20 am

i was going to write a story about writer's block, but i became lost for words so i gave up.
then i was going to write a story about laziness, but i never got around to it.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2016, 4:43 pm

I've been trying to start a crime novel for some time now, but because I have no idea what it's going to be about, I'm reading some mystery novels for inspiration.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2016, 9:36 pm

AnonymousAnonymous wrote:
I've been trying to start a crime novel for some time now, but because I have no idea what it's going to be about, I'm reading some mystery novels for inspiration.

May I suggest reading James Elroy's crime fiction. He's best known for L.A. Confidential, and The Black Dahlia, both of which have been turned into movies. I personally think his best work is American Tabloid.

SparkyCosmos
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

08 Mar 2016, 12:50 am

I like writing mainly urban stories that take place around this time, with either sci-fi or fantasy mixed in. Mostly because I doubt I would be able to write solely fantasy and make it unique. Same goes for sci-fi. But when it comes to urban fantasy or urban sci-fi I feel like it is an often less explored genre, and thus I have more room for creativity. Now if only I could finish one of my stories. :?

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2016, 1:17 am

SparkyCosmos wrote:
I like writing mainly urban stories that take place around this time, with either sci-fi or fantasy mixed in. Mostly because I doubt I would be able to write solely fantasy and make it unique. Same goes for sci-fi. But when it comes to urban fantasy or urban sci-fi I feel like it is an often less explored genre, and thus I have more room for creativity. Now if only I could finish one of my stories. :?

Ah, struggling to finish a story. How I have experienced that, even as old a man as I am! :lol: