110 mercy killings for mental disorders in Netherlands

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2016, 10:31 pm

People in the netherlands have gotten assisted suicide for depression and other non-terminal illnesses.
It seems like norm there.
Children can choose assisted suicide too.

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2016, 10:26 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
The man who requested he be assisted in suicide by the state should have been offered help by the psychiatrist, as he was obviously in emotional pain due to his inability to navigate society like an NT.

He was.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2016, 10:43 am

btbnnyr wrote:
People in the netherlands have gotten assisted suicide for depression and other non-terminal illnesses.
It seems like norm there.
Children can choose assisted suicide too.

This wouldn't be possible in the state of Oregon, you need to have a terminal illness.

I hope what the parents are doing here is legal:

http://www.cnn.com/2015/10/27/health/gi ... index.html

This happened in my area. I don't know if the girl is still alive or not. As of 2015 she was. But you need to be 18 to choose assisted suicide and this girl here is choosing to just stay home if she gets sick next time than going through treatment again and her parents are letting her pick and support her decision and talking about death to her to make sure she understands. The girl was four when she made that choice. And I know for a fact refusing to seek your kid medical treatment is child neglect and that will get you charged but what if it was a deadly medical condition the kid had and very painful or very traumatizing for the child? What if your own kid even requested they just go to heaven than go through treatment again? It looks to me the kid has a terminal illness.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Barneydude
Butterfly
Butterfly

28 Feb 2016, 11:56 am

androbot01 wrote:
BeaArthur wrote:
*shudder* euthanasia for humans is a very slippery slope.

Everything's a slippery slope, doesn't mean you disregard the issue.

Quote:
...Feel hopeless and wish they were dead? cardinal symptoms of a treatable mental illness called depression!

Depression (chronic, severe) can only be helped so much with modern treatments.

Having control of the end of one's life is a fundamental human right. No one should obstruct another when they decide to die.

I think the Netherlands are on the right track and Kevorkian was great. We need more like him.

Some lives are not worth living. Trying to claim otherwise is putting your head in the sand.

I am so sorry MISS GODDESS... but who gives you the right to say *ASPIES SHOULD DIE!! !!* because thats exactly what you ARE saying!! !... i mean don't get me wrong... if i could afford £25,000 to go sweden/swiz to kill myself... i wouldn't have a second thought!... But what about those Aspies/ASD's who are the worst case (cant talk etc...) how can they say NO PLEASE DONT KILL ME!! ! I WANT TO LIVE!! !

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2016, 12:09 pm

Barneydude wrote:
androbot01 wrote:
BeaArthur wrote:
Quote:
...Feel hopeless and wish they were dead? cardinal symptoms of a treatable mental illness called depression!
Depression (chronic, severe) can only be helped so much with modern treatments. Having control of the end of one's life is a fundamental human right. No one should obstruct another when they decide to die. I think the Netherlands are on the right track and Kevorkian was great. We need more like him. Some lives are not worth living. Trying to claim otherwise is putting your head in the sand.
I am so sorry MISS GODDESS... but who gives you the right to say *ASPIES SHOULD DIE!! ! !* because thats exactly what you ARE saying!! ...
No, she isn't. She's saying that if a person's quality of life is so low or nonexistent that his or her life is no longer worth living (as it it with some people), then that person should have the right to end his or her own life. She has NEVER said that aspies should die, only that people should have the right to choose death over life for themselves.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2016, 1:38 pm

Fnord wrote:
Barneydude wrote:
androbot01 wrote:
BeaArthur wrote:
Quote:
Depression (chronic, severe) can only be helped so much with modern treatments. Having control of the end of one's life is a fundamental human right. No one should obstruct another when they decide to die. I think the Netherlands are on the right track and Kevorkian was great. We need more like him. Some lives are not worth living. Trying to claim otherwise is putting your head in the sand.
I am so sorry MISS GODDESS... but who gives you the right to say *ASPIES SHOULD DIE!! ! !* because thats exactly what you ARE saying!! ...
No, she isn't. She's saying that if a person's quality of life is so low or nonexistent that his or her life is no longer worth living (as it it with some people), then that person should have the right to end his or her own life. She has NEVER said that aspies should die, only that people should have the right to choose death over life for themselves.

Thanks Fnord. You understood my point. It's forcing people to remain living when they have chosen otherwise that concerns me. If someone is ill but wants to fight, that's their right too.

Bea, what you said earlier was moving and it is great to show strength in the face of adversity. It does help others when they see this. But not everyone wants to or cares about inspiring others. Should these people be forced to live lives they no longer want to fight for?

There is, I think, a general tone of celebration of life in society without a thought to what constitutes a valuable life. Like I said, sometimes life is not worth living for various reasons. So be it. Not everyone can be functional and fulfilled. Helping people end a burdensome life is respecting their life.