Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

248RPA
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2016, 9:09 pm

I get startled a lot at school and my whole body kind of jumps. Usually it happens 7-11 times in a day. Today (an outlier) we were playing a review game in one class, and it involved a bell. I got startled every time someone shouted something without warning or someone rang the bell. It's noticeable to other people, and over the years, many people have apologised for startling me.

Is this common?

SparkyCosmos
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

08 Mar 2016, 12:45 pm

Think about it like this: you're at school, a public location. You're surrounded by people you may or may not know. There is constant pressure, both classwork related and social situation related. Not to mention how loud a school typically is. Add it all together, and it makes sense.

Going to school puts a lot of us on the edge, to the point where even the most minor provocation will cause us to jump out of our skin and become a skeleton.

Kuraudo777
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2016, 2:11 pm

^Thank you! That's pretty much how it is for me, along with sensory overload and too much swearing.

A memory is something that has to be consciously recalled, right? That's why sometimes it can be mistaken and a different thing. But it's different from a memory locked deep within your heart. Words aren't the only way to tell someone how you feel.” Tifa Lockheart, Final Fantasy VII

Grammar Geek
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2016, 2:39 pm

I get startled at school a lot too. But when I was younger, instead of being understanding, the kids would make fun of me and try to startle me more, and the teachers would get mad at me because I was supposedly trying to get attention by making a noise.