Page 3 of 3 [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

NoahYates
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2016, 10:38 pm

I have many irrational fears, most of them involving social situations... However, my greatest fear, and the one that has arguably held me back the most in my adult life, is my phobia of driving. I am somewhat comfortable riding in a car, but I am constantly on edge and have to be able to see the road, or I feel uncomfortable. With every car we pass I will be bracing for the impact... vividly imaging the accident as it would occur were there to be a head on collision. To be quite honest I do not even think this is an irrational fear. I feel like it is one of thee greatest over-sights of our time that our road systems are still based on the same model that was employed when you could have a conversation with the person you passed in your horse-drawn carriage. When the automobile was first becoming popular it was thought that you could not possibly go over 40mph, not because it was physically impossible, but because it was insane. Here we live in an age where its just the norm and perfectly acceptable that you could die easily by someone else's mistake at the wheel. Surely the road systems are in need of an over-haul. My diagnosis of AS really helps me to understand and be able to better communicate my psychology involving my phobia of driving. The wonders of this diagnosis continue to amaze me!! Connecting the dots of my life.

“In the same way that you see a flower in a field, it’s really the whole field that is flowering, because the flower couldn’t exist in that particular place without the special surroundings of the field; you only find flowers in surroundings that will support them. So in the same way, you only find human beings on a planet of this kind, with an atmosphere of this kind, with a temperature of this kind- supplied by a convenient neighboring star. And so, as the flower is a flowering of the field, I feel myself as a personing- a manning- a peopling of the whole universe. –In other words, I, like everything else in the universe, seem to be a center… a sort of vortex, at which the whole energy of the universe realizes itself- comes alive… an aperture through which the whole universe is conscious of itself. In other words, I go with it as a center to a circumference.”~ Alan Watts

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2016, 10:49 pm

I distract myself from road fears [while a passenger in a car] by looking down at the floor at my feet while thinking of other things and also concentrating on the sounds from the engine and road surface/wind noise.

NoahYates
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2016, 11:06 pm

I have only been driving one time... and I did OK... but it was on a straight highway where I basically didn't have to do anything but pilot the vehicle in a continuous vector... It was a terrifying experience... it felt dangerous. Now I am beginning to understand that my poor motor control due to AS could be unconsciously driving me to be apprehensive about putting myself into a situation where my "losing control" could hurt myself or other people. That in combination with my vivid and hyper-active imagination cause me to be terrified of driving. Nevermind all of the "subtle social ques" involved in city driving, the unfamiliar places, and the spontaneous nature of traffic in general.

“In the same way that you see a flower in a field, it’s really the whole field that is flowering, because the flower couldn’t exist in that particular place without the special surroundings of the field; you only find flowers in surroundings that will support them. So in the same way, you only find human beings on a planet of this kind, with an atmosphere of this kind, with a temperature of this kind- supplied by a convenient neighboring star. And so, as the flower is a flowering of the field, I feel myself as a personing- a manning- a peopling of the whole universe. –In other words, I, like everything else in the universe, seem to be a center… a sort of vortex, at which the whole energy of the universe realizes itself- comes alive… an aperture through which the whole universe is conscious of itself. In other words, I go with it as a center to a circumference.”~ Alan Watts

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2016, 11:17 pm

when I have to get in the car [99% of the time on a Saturday] and drive into town for groceries or to the next county for my square pegs aspie meetups, I tell myself, "self, we are on a MISSION- get to (walmart or aspie meetup) in one piece, one leg at a time, get to the next major road, then the next county, then the destination." then when I have completed my mission, I get back in the car and tell myself, "self, our NEXT MISSION is to get home in one piece- concentrate on one leg at a time, first make it to the freeway, then the next county, then the hometown, then the final hiway home." when I make it to either place I breathe a sigh of relief. only once per week to I get in the car to go anywhere 'cause I lack the energy and brainpower to do more than that, other than once per blue moon or so when I have to do some other weekday chore.

DaughterOfAule
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Mar 2016, 1:42 am

I forgot to mention that one, I am also afraid of driving. I've driven a total of, maybe, 8 hours. 6 of those with an instructor that had a brake on their side just in case. For every second of those eight hours I was terrified. Also, when I'm a passenger I have to be watching the road and brace myself when most cars pass the one I'm in. I'm also afraid that a deer will jump out in front of the car whenever we pass woooded areas. Being in a car at night reminds me of the part in Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory (1971) where they go into the tunnel on a boat. Everything in front of the car passing by is a blur of colors and lights reminiscent of the bright colorful flashing tunnel. In the day it is better, but still hard for me to focus.

"I do not wish to evade the world
Yet I will forever build my own" - Tuomas Holopainen

DancingCorpse
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2016, 9:18 am

All my life I have covered mirrors... I've never got on with them, not just because my reflection isn't exemplary but I can not have a mirror that is showing a patient mirage, especially at night. There are too many possibilities! I don't want something crawling out of it or looking in at me, I am well versed in the supernatural and this does not help in the slightest, I would rather jump into a bowl of mousetraps than go into a hall of mirrors at a carnival too.

NoahYates
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2016, 9:21 am

Exactly!! I forgot to meention that aspect of the night driving. I am beginning to realize how over-sensitive my vision is to bright lights... and at night.. car's headlights blind me... even on dim... so when we are approaching a car I cant see anything except for thee car's headlights. I understand this is a problem for NTs as well... but i think its much worse for me.

NoahYates
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2016, 9:23 am

Mirrors can be freaky too!!

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2016, 3:04 pm

NoahYates wrote:
Mirrors can be freaky too!!

what would you think of a psychomanteum?

extrapulp
Butterfly
Butterfly

04 Mar 2016, 3:48 pm

i don't have any phobias, but i'm very scared of deep, dark water and the idea of driving. heck, i didn't even have the attention span to complete driver's ed in high school; i doubt i have the attention span to stay safe on the road

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2016, 4:02 pm

I wonder if in a previous lifetime you had a terminal accident regarding cars and/or a deep lake or ocean?

extrapulp
Butterfly
Butterfly

04 Mar 2016, 4:30 pm

auntblabby wrote:
I wonder if in a previous lifetime you had a terminal accident regarding cars and/or a deep lake or ocean?

wouldn't that be interesting? based on my astrological studies, my previous life was spent in a correctional facility of some kind, a prison or asylum. i wish i was skilled enough to determine whether deep water played a part in that life, as well! it'd certainly make sense

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2016, 4:35 pm

extrapulp wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

wouldn't that be interesting? based on my astrological studies, my previous life was spent in a correctional facility of some kind, a prison or asylum. i wish i was skilled enough to determine whether deep water played a part in that life, as well! it'd certainly make sense

one of my past lives involved suicide by drowning, another was as an inmate in a prison.