Research volunteers needed – Survey on Autism and Identity

Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

RCooper
Butterfly
Butterfly

28 Feb 2016, 7:34 am

Hi there,

I'm looking for people with autism to complete about 15/20 minutes worth of questionnaires for my research into self identity in people with autism. I was just wondering if anyone would be willing to help me out and complete these questionnaires? This is following on from one of my colleague’s research, who posted a similar study on here last year which some of you may have completed. This study is slightly different in that we’re just focusing on identity related to autism (the last study was looking at identity related to gender too).

Here is the link to the study:
[please get permission from Alex before asking for participation in your survey, thanks]

Hopefully this is the right forum board to post this on but sorry if it’s not - please tell me where it should be!

Here's the official info:
------------------------------
Project Title:
Identity in Autism – an exploration of content and impact.

Invitation:
You are invited to take part in a research project. The project aims to find out what people with Autism think about their identity as a person with Autism.

Who is conducting this research?
The project is being conducted by psychology researchers at the University of Bath. It is supervised by two qualified clinical psychologists.

Who can take part?
People aged 16 or older with Autism. We are defining the word Autism to include ASD, Asperser’s Syndrome, High Functioning Autism, Atypical Autism, PDD and PDD not otherwise specified.

What will happen?
The study will involve completing six questionnaires online. These will ask you questions about your Autism, your general health and your wellbeing. The questionnaires will take about 15/20 minutes to complete. Your answers will be kept anonymous and confidential.

Benefits and risks:
We cannot promise the project will help you directly but the outcomes of the research project may help inform research and healthcare in the future. We do not expect that there will be any major disadvantages of taking part in the project. However some people might find it difficult to answer questions about their wellbeing.

If you have any questions about the project, please email the research team on [email protected]

--------------

Thanks in advance for your help!

Last edited by Adamantium on 28 Feb 2016, 9:07 pm, edited 4 times in total.: Requests for participation in surveys and research require permission from Alex

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2016, 7:51 am

Why aren't people with suspected learning disabilities allowed?

RCooper
Butterfly
Butterfly

28 Feb 2016, 7:58 am

Hi

Thanks for your reply. This is just because the measures we are using have not been validated for use among people with learning disabilities. To be honest this is slightly frustrating from our point of view as people with learning disabilities may be able to use the measures perfectly fine, but as it hasn't been validated in the literature we wouldn't be able to report it like this. However, we are using the UK definition of learning disabilities, which excludes Autism. I'm aware this might be slightly confusing on an international forum so am open to advice on this - if you think I should remove that line I'm happy to do so.

Thanks

RCooper
Butterfly
Butterfly

28 Feb 2016, 8:19 am

(I've just consulted with one of my colleagues about this and we've agreed to just get rid of that exclusion criteria as it doesn't really make sense. Thanks so much for bringing that to our attention though).

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2016, 9:13 am

Now I get it. You're talking about intellectual disabilities. Not stuff like dyslexia or NVLD.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2016, 9:45 am

DevilKisses wrote:
Now I get it. You're talking about intellectual disabilities. Not stuff like dyslexia or NVLD.
Another survey seeking correlations between autism and intellectual disabilities? :roll:

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2016, 9:55 am

Some great questions about autistic identity. Thanks!

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

RCooper
Butterfly
Butterfly

28 Feb 2016, 10:33 am

DevilKisses wrote:

Yes that's right.

RCooper
Butterfly
Butterfly

28 Feb 2016, 10:34 am

Fnord wrote:
DevilKisses wrote:
Another survey seeking correlations between autism and intellectual disabilities? :roll:

Hi Fnord, no the survey's not looking at that correlation. It's all to do with identity and autism. If you're interesting in taking part please follow the the link for more info.

RCooper
Butterfly
Butterfly

28 Feb 2016, 10:35 am

AspieUtah wrote:
Some great questions about autistic identity. Thanks!

Hi AspieUtah, thanks and thank you so much for taking part.

QuillAlba
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2016, 10:50 am

Filled it in, hope the information helps.

RCooper
Butterfly
Butterfly

28 Feb 2016, 11:13 am

Thank you very much QuillAlba.

greenylynx
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Feb 2016, 11:37 am

I gave my input to your research, felt good to finally have had a chance to contribute my two cents toward research. :)

Rocket123
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2016, 12:01 pm

I completed survey.

RCooper
Butterfly
Butterfly

28 Feb 2016, 12:13 pm

Thank you for your help with this greenylynx and Rocket123.

tetris
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2016, 12:18 pm

Done, quite interesting questions. Only minor issue was the repeated use of person with autism but apart from that it was good.