Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Suumsuique
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Feb 2016, 9:11 am

Im curious what the more coherency alligned think of it.
(i dont see music as entertainment but as geometric language, then again emotion and how it resonates with us in recognition to perhaps some inner frequencies can be experienced as such)

What i will share are three pieces that are a hybrid form of classical instruments and electronic:
note: instrumental quality is digital, though some individual samples i use are quite realistic it lacks the depth of the real thing.

A relatively recent piece that i made for a canceled game, it starts to shine at the last segments.
http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/664775

One of the dramatic closing pieces of one of my short stories EGEO, wait for the electronic instrumentation!:
http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/593714

When i made the soundtrack for a specific indie game, this was made for an area where you visit an underwater 'coral farm', its still my favorite piece of the album, the ethnic toms are so fitting.
http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/645675

Cant wait for the comments. :)
Greets.
-cal/suum.

Trogluddite
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2016, 11:38 am

Thanks for sharing.

You have a great sense of changing the mood through your chord sequences, and adding subtle counterpoints under the melody - as someone who plays mostly riff based guitar music, I'm always in awe of people that can do that.

I particularly enjoyed "Umbra". It's really nice to hear those fizzy synth tones being played rather than just sequenced or arpeggiated as they are so often heard, and the simple tone is perfect for keeping the piano lines free from clutter (is it me, or are VST synths just trying too hard these days?). The uneasy, forbidding tone towards the end of "A Primal Soul" is also beautifully done - it has a really "filmic" quality in the way it creeps up on you from nowhere.

Suumsuique
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Feb 2016, 1:44 pm

Trogluddite wrote:
Thanks for sharing.

You have a great sense of changing the mood through your chord sequences, and adding subtle counterpoints under the melody - as someone who plays mostly riff based guitar music, I'm always in awe of people that can do that.

I particularly enjoyed "Umbra". It's really nice to hear those fizzy synth tones being played rather than just sequenced or arpeggiated as they are so often heard, and the simple tone is perfect for keeping the piano lines free from clutter (is it me, or are VST synths just trying too hard these days?). The uneasy, forbidding tone towards the end of "A Primal Soul" is also beautifully done - it has a really "filmic" quality in the way it creeps up on you from nowhere.

Thank you for all the kind words first of all.

Synths tend to be chaotic imo, i always prefer to use squares and such retro electronic sounds.
a Primal soul is quite special, i cant remember ever having composed such before. When making it i pictured a bit of a drug-lab scene where people in hazmats walked around with powders/corals in narrow table corridors.

All in all i always concentrate on depth in the background with sfx and subtle secundairy chords and let melodies make themselves in the foreground with counterpoint.

NoahYates
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2016, 6:25 pm

Oh hell yeah!! ! This my type of music... reminds me of some old NES music, specifically some Tim Follin or others who have a very "prog rock sound"... Rick Wakeman or Mike Oldfield-esque. Larry Fast (Synergy) also comes to mind. I hope you continue to produce this stuff. I wish more games had this style of music today. You are extremely talented. beautiful music.

“In the same way that you see a flower in a field, it’s really the whole field that is flowering, because the flower couldn’t exist in that particular place without the special surroundings of the field; you only find flowers in surroundings that will support them. So in the same way, you only find human beings on a planet of this kind, with an atmosphere of this kind, with a temperature of this kind- supplied by a convenient neighboring star. And so, as the flower is a flowering of the field, I feel myself as a personing- a manning- a peopling of the whole universe. –In other words, I, like everything else in the universe, seem to be a center… a sort of vortex, at which the whole energy of the universe realizes itself- comes alive… an aperture through which the whole universe is conscious of itself. In other words, I go with it as a center to a circumference.”~ Alan Watts

Suumsuique
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Mar 2016, 8:49 am

NoahYates wrote:
Oh hell yeah!! ! This my type of music... reminds me of some old NES music, specifically some Tim Follin or others who have a very "prog rock sound"... Rick Wakeman or Mike Oldfield-esque. Larry Fast (Synergy) also comes to mind. I hope you continue to produce this stuff. I wish more games had this style of music today. You are extremely talented. beautiful music.

Wow, thank you for all the kind words. Atm im still a bit out of the biz after a long period of personal problems, also caught a bit of a cold atm but when i feel better again i have a project ahead of me for an upcoming PS4 game's dev. client. So thats one thing.

greets.
-cal/suum.

NoahYates
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2016, 9:28 am

I shared it with my brother who is a programmer and amateur game developer and he really really liked it. We both especially love the second song. We both let it loop for a very long time before turning it off.

“In the same way that you see a flower in a field, it’s really the whole field that is flowering, because the flower couldn’t exist in that particular place without the special surroundings of the field; you only find flowers in surroundings that will support them. So in the same way, you only find human beings on a planet of this kind, with an atmosphere of this kind, with a temperature of this kind- supplied by a convenient neighboring star. And so, as the flower is a flowering of the field, I feel myself as a personing- a manning- a peopling of the whole universe. –In other words, I, like everything else in the universe, seem to be a center… a sort of vortex, at which the whole energy of the universe realizes itself- comes alive… an aperture through which the whole universe is conscious of itself. In other words, I go with it as a center to a circumference.”~ Alan Watts

Suumsuique
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Mar 2016, 12:51 pm

NoahYates wrote:
I shared it with my brother who is a programmer and amateur game developer and he really really liked it. We both especially love the second song. We both let it loop for a very long time before turning it off.

Most of the tracks ive uploaded are loops and designed to last, ive heard this before from dev clients of mine that they would listen to the music for a long time hehe. I dont take credit for the quality though, i mean sure i sit out the time getting headaches putting every note together but ive always felt like the logic behind it came to me rather than from me. Or perhaps passes us by and it is us that merely recognices or resonates with it.
(im a golden ratio believer, and have much interest in cymatics and the physical/architectural properties of sound)