Veteran

28 Feb 2016, 1:29 pm

Would you date a feminist?

Kyle Katarn
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2016, 1:33 pm

I'm pretty sure everyone will select the last option. :|

It depends. If she's not a jerk, then why the hell not. But if she's a man-hating feminazi who thinks all men are pigs, then no.

Nocturnus
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Feb 2016, 2:07 pm

I voted no, I hold strong views in Patriarchy and traditional views and to date a feminist would go against my beliefs. I believe that everyone should have equal opportunities regardless of gender, sexual orientation and race but I just couldn't date a feminist.

Feminism promotes favouritism for one sex, I would like to see a movement that supports the rights of men and women equally.

Kyle Katarn
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2016, 2:13 pm

Exactly! Feminism has run its course. Neither gender is superior to the other.

Suumsuique
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Feb 2016, 2:22 pm

That entirely depends on the definition and volume of 'feminist'.
If you're speaking of radical feminist or activist feminist then no. If you mean someone who has no interest in classical 'roles' then maybe. I mean i dont exactly 'date' but if i met someone i would resonate with and she would not want to be a housewife but have her own practice or something, why would i drive a wedge?
Ofcourse i do have preferences and a (by own consent) housewife and classical life is the most steady but absolute?..nah.

jagatai
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2016, 2:35 pm

I don't think I would want to date a woman who WASN'T a feminist. Feminism is about supporting women so that they have equal access to opportunities and are given the same rights as men. There is an alternative, anti-woman agenda that tries to redefine feminism as an anti-man ideology, but that is a position put out by weak, frightened men who are scared that if a woman is given equal opportunities, men will have to actually work to get retain the advantages they have grown accustomed to.

I am confident in my skills, abilities and intelligence. That's why I'm not frightened by the challenge of a woman who is my equal. I want to be with someone who helps me grow into a better person, not someone who I can look down on so that I can pretend I am superior.

Feyokien
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2016, 2:39 pm

jagatai wrote:
I don't think I would want to date a woman who WASN'T a feminist. Feminism is about supporting women so that they have equal access to opportunities and are given the same rights as men. There is an alternative, anti-woman agenda that tries to redefine feminism as an anti-man ideology, but that is a position put out by weak, frightened men who are scared that if a woman is given equal opportunities, men will have to actually work to get retain the advantages they have grown accustomed to.

I am confident in my skills, abilities and intelligence. That's why I'm not frightened by the challenge of a woman who is my equal. I want to be with someone who helps me grow into a better person, not someone who I can look down on so that I can pretend I am superior.

Exactly what I was going to say. People read too many online click bait articles.

Peacesells
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2016, 2:46 pm

jagatai wrote:

Feyokien wrote:
Exactly what I was going to say. People read too many online click bait articles.

Why do you people have to say so? Extremist feminists do exist, why do you talk like it's some fairy tale made up by frightened men?
Other people here made a nice distinction about feminists and extremists and what they say makes sense, but no you have to say that it is fairy tales made up by us.

Last edited by Peacesells on 28 Feb 2016, 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hopper
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2016, 2:55 pm

I voted yes.

I wouldn't be interested in a woman who wasn't a feminist out of fear that she was a contrarian wanker.

Otherwise, what jagatai said.

You know sometimes, between the dames and the horses, I don't even know why I put my hat on.

Feyokien
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2016, 3:05 pm

Peacesells wrote:
jagatai wrote:
There is an alternative, anti-woman agenda that tries to redefine feminism as an anti-man ideology, but that is a position put out by weak, frightened men who are scared that if a woman is given equal opportunities, men will have to actually work to get retain the advantages they have grown accustomed to.

Feyokien wrote:
ow into a better person, not someone who I can look down on so that I can pretend I am superior.

Why do you people have to say so? Extremist feminists do exist, why do you talk like it's some fairy tale made up by frightened men?
Other people here made a nice distinction about feminists and extremists and what they say makes sense, but no you have to say that it is fairy tales made up by us.

Wherever extremist feminists actually exist beyond the internet, they're like the Westboro baptist church. They exist in small numbers and they shouldn't affect your opinion of what feminists actually are, just like Westboro doesn't represent Christianity. I've never met one and doubt I ever will.

Peacesells
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2016, 3:18 pm

Feyokien wrote:
Peacesells wrote:
jagatai wrote:
There is an alternative, anti-woman agenda that tries to redefine feminism as an anti-man ideology, but that is a position put out by weak, frightened men who are scared that if a woman is given equal opportunities, men will have to actually work to get retain the advantages they have grown accustomed to.

Feyokien wrote:
ow into a better person, not someone who I can look down on so that I can pretend I am superior.

Wherever extremist feminists actually exist beyond the internet, they're like the Westboro baptist church. They exist in small numbers and they shouldn't affect your opinion of what feminists actually are, just like Westboro doesn't represent Christianity. I've never met one and doubt I ever will.

I have seen them in this very forum, they're not mythological beasts.

Feyokien
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2016, 3:19 pm

Peacesells wrote:
Feyokien wrote:
Peacesells wrote:
jagatai wrote:

Feyokien wrote:

You mean Katy? Cause she's a troll and they're from mythology :P. Who knows what she/he actually believes. Other than her I haven't seen it in anyone else.

Peacesells
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2016, 3:21 pm

Feyokien wrote:
Peacesells wrote:
Feyokien wrote:
Peacesells wrote:
jagatai wrote:

Feyokien wrote:

You mean Katy? Cause she's a troll and they're from mythology :P. Who knows what she/he actually believes. Other than her I haven't seen it in anyone else.

No I don't mean Katy, there are others as well.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

28 Feb 2016, 4:06 pm

I think it would probably be tough to be with someone who takes themselves too seriously or would get offended at everything you say, I don't think anyone wants to walk around on eggshells. If someone likes you and you like them back, who you get along with, I'm not looking for a perfect ideological twin.

Feyokien
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2016, 4:21 pm

Jacoby wrote:
I think it would probably be tough to be with someone who takes themselves too seriously or would get offended at everything you say, I don't think anyone wants to walk around on eggshells. If someone likes you and you like them back, who you get along with, I'm not looking for a perfect ideological twin.

Wrong definition of feminism, once again taking it out on a very small subset minority, if you can even call them a subset and not a different group of people. Feminists just want to be equal. Nothing in that has anything to do with SJW's. How socially conservative or lack of, has nothing to do with Feminism.

rdos
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2016, 4:30 pm

No. The feminists I know are fairly unpleasant to be with. OTOH, if I did meet a nice and pleasant feminist, then maybe.