Occasionally 27%  27%  [ 12 ]
No 20%  20%  [ 9 ]
Total votes : 45

beakybird
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2016, 6:52 am

auntblabby wrote:
some of the more extreme anti-cursors won't even say darn or heck or even express any outward angry emotion, biblical fundies are in that camp I have found. my brother is like that. the late garner ted Armstrong said even so much as an angry glower, in a biblical sense, is proscribed swearing. I wonder if Christianity is the only religion that bans swearing.

Pitched a tent in that camp for awhile. Didn't fit in for obvious reasons... :lol:

But yeah even thinking curse words, or even the anger typically behind them, is considered sinful.

f**k that! :D

Krabo
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2016, 7:47 am

About a year or two ago, when Cornflake was still around as moderator, I started a thread with the title "Finnish dirty words" and discussed in length all of them. I was drunk. Next day, I was shocked. First thing in the morning, I pm'd Cornflake to delete the whole unlucky thread. Just in time -- later there has been the convention that mods cannot delete whole threads.

So... in my case the answer is, occasionally.

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

03 Mar 2016, 7:55 am

The thing is, the F word is crossing into acceptable language. Probably thanks to Robin Williams, among others. It's being used melodically by respectable people - it will soon be a respectable word and we'll have to find another to fill the gap. Then I will say I don't cuss.

Krabo
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2016, 8:02 am

Claradoon wrote:
The thing is, the F word is crossing into acceptable language. Probably thanks to Robin Williams, among others. It's being used melodically by respectable people - it will soon be a respectable word and we'll have to find another to fill the gap. Then I will say I don't cuss.

I suggest you add to English another loan word. This time, resort to Finnish and adopt our vittu which will never be respectable. However, its usage is expanding into politicians' vocabulary which means it is getting more and more common, which in turn tells much about our modern world.

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2016, 8:33 am

Sometimes, but it's my ex friends' fault. Two of them cussed like a drunken sailor. I really say a few colorful words when I'm mad. Otherwise, not anymore than your average person I guess.

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 83 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 153 of 200 You are very likely neurotypical
Darn, I flunked.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2016, 8:36 am

Most of the time, I don't feel there's a cause to curse, when you could substitute more colorful and literary words for cuss words.

dcj123
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2016, 9:10 am

f**k yeah b*****s

lmao - I cuss a little but try to keep it from getting too R-rated, also depends on where and who I am with. With my parents, may say damn a few times but nothing worse. Friends, drug dealers or college like settings, all bets are f*****g off.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2016, 2:58 pm

if anybody is interested I will PM them a good substitute F word that is even worse, if the regular F word loses its sting for them.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2016, 4:04 pm

auntblabby wrote:
I doubt if anybody else here is old enough to remember, but for the longest time no profanity whatsoever was allowed in the American print and broadcast media, you could barely get away with saying "heckacopter." there is an old 50s era kinescope I saw on youtube featuring nat king cole singing "anything goes" where on the lyric "Good authors too who once knew better words, Now only use four letter words Writing prose, Anything Goes" - he was forced to substitute "THREE letter words" plus hold up 3 fingers to reinforce the point!

Mom and Dad would play their copy of the album "Ella Fitzgerald Sings Cole Porter" with that song all of the time. Great song.

That is pathetic that Nat King Cole had to use that kind of euphemism FOR a euphemism in that film clip.

Today if you taught a parrot to repeat "sh*t, F**k, N*****r" endlessly, the parrot would be indistinguishable from most of the rap songs on the radio.

Basso53
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2016, 4:06 pm

Krabo wrote:
Claradoon wrote:

I suggest you add to English another loan word. This time, resort to Finnish and adopt our vittu which will never be respectable. However, its usage is expanding into politicians' vocabulary which means it is getting more and more common, which in turn tells much about our modern world.

Paska has long been a favorite of mine. :wink:

Vittu---its English equivalent, that is---usually gets reserved for when I'm driving.

You seem to have both Aspie and neurotypical traits

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2016, 4:07 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
I doubt if anybody else here is old enough to remember, but for the longest time no profanity whatsoever was allowed in the American print and broadcast media, you could barely get away with saying "heckacopter." there is an old 50s era kinescope I saw on youtube featuring nat king cole singing "anything goes" where on the lyric "Good authors too who once knew better words, Now only use four letter words Writing prose, Anything Goes" - he was forced to substitute "THREE letter words" plus hold up 3 fingers to reinforce the point!

Mom and Dad would play their copy of the album "Ella Fitzgerald Sings Cole Porter" with that song all of the time. Great song. That is pathetic that Nat King Cole had to use that kind of euphemism FOR a euphemism in that film clip. Today if you taught a parrot to repeat "sh*t, F**k, N*****r" endlessly, the parrot would be indistinguishable from most of the rap songs on the radio.

there was a similar flavor of bowdlerization in the first American movie version of "Lolita."

Riik
Toucan
Toucan

03 Mar 2016, 4:44 pm

I don't swear. Not properly anyway. I sometimes use words like "bloody", but that's about it. It just feels... wrong to let those kinda words slip out of my mouth.

That said, I've got nothing against swearing. Words are just words. If someone came out and ordered "those words shall no longer be considered bad!" what then? Swearing as a concept should be abolished, and those words should just become expressions of distaste or whatever.

I have from time to time written swear words in fictional literature if a speaking character is the type who would swear casually.

A life without tea is a life not worth living.
Latest Aspie Quiz: AS - 151, NT - 38 / RAADS-R: 195 / AQ: 38

NewTime
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2016, 1:57 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kH8sGHBA94g

"s**t, piss, f**k, c**t, cocksucker, Motherf***er, tits, fart, turd, and twat"

From blink 182.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2016, 2:11 pm

lately I've stumbled upon some sibilant and fricative words that seem to take a lot of the tension out of me like swearing, but are not in themselves swear words as people know them to be. "FLAP!" is a good one.

justkillingtime
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2016, 1:09 pm

I used to say "Oh, Ford" after I read "Brave New World" as Ford was a deity in that book.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2016, 4:03 pm

justkillingtime wrote:
I used to say "Oh, Ford" after I read "Brave New World" as Ford was a deity in that book.

:lol: when young I used to take the lord rockefeller's name in vain regularly- "jeebus h. Rockefeller!" a good mark twain quote on profanity- " I was...blaspheming my luck in a way that made my breath smell of brimstone."
- from "Roughing It"