Are longterm special interests more likely to stay?

Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2016, 4:29 am

My longest lasting special interest has been optometry. My mom first noticed that obsession when I was two years old. I'm almost twenty and that obsession is still around. It's waxed and waned over the years. I sometimes get distracted by other stuff or temporarily lose interest in it, but so far it's always found a way to return. I'm mostly wondering if that will make it easy to get though optometry school or will my interest just disappear and never return.

AsahiPto17
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Mar 2016, 4:32 am

One of my longest term interests is photography, ever since I was 5, I really don't see that ever going anywhere. I also liked "inventing" which I never really got to feed a lot and is just more of a creative technical drive now, but I do think of a lot of "invention" type things still and plan to act of some of those ideas. So I'd say in my personal experience yes, they are more likely to stay, or evolve into something similar.

thehandler
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

02 Mar 2016, 4:40 am

I don't know if four years can be considered long-term, but a few bands became my special interest over the years. A more long-term one was cars but it got "beaten" out of me. Even many years later I do still love me some Star Trek, though.

As for me I think music-related interests are the most likely to stick around. I don't see that going anywhere, and I can see myself liking Muse for quite a long time even if not for forever.

Yigeren
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2016, 5:16 am

My first special interest is still there, but I ignore it. I don't have the time to spend on it, or the space, etc. But it's there, waiting. And that one has been with me since I was a baby.

Broader topics tend to stay wth me over the years. It's just that individual things within those topics come and go more quickly. Optometry is a broad enough field so perhaps it'll stay with you.

ErwinNL
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Mar 2016, 5:52 am

I am looking for information about how to "remove" a negative special interest/obsession and replace it with something positive. If any one knows books/resource about this subject then please :)

doordoctor
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2016, 8:07 am

My interest in door closers/commercial door hardware started in Sept 1997, still LOVE to see, touch and help people with them now, so that interest stuck with me the longest! and NO signs of it ending any time soon!

......so yea, its here to stay :D

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2016, 8:23 am

My interest in the weather will be life-long. Guaranteed.

LaetiBlabla
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2016, 1:38 pm

Well, "long-term" = "stay long" ... :roll:

Uncle
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2016, 2:14 pm

Well, have had a few over the time, but one that has been with me for life is WATER... was obsessed as a baby/child, and have lived by water all my life, surf, was in coastguard etc... It was/is my place of peace :)

drlaugh
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2016, 9:01 pm

Many intense interest have come and gone.

Those long time interest include
Sleight of hand magic
Ping Pong
Comic Books (they were 12 cents each when I started)
Trivia
Regarding post on getting rid of interest. .your own quote us a good place to start-learn from things that go wrong in your life and ask for help when needed!..
Book and source would depend on your interest.
Some say the Bible covers many areas.
Others say Cognitive thinking error stuff can help

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2016, 11:42 pm

I have 2 long term interests that applies on my way of life and learning.
I really like crafting so much, I sort of how I approach my learning on many things; hands on, and finding other mediums and techniques.
The other one is more or less how I base my 'wisdom', most particularly on interacting with people. To be a listener, to be a keeper and protector, to be discrete and considerate at times. :lol:

Many interests and obsessions didn't last few months, and a few didn't last a year or three...

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

DancingCorpse
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2016, 2:09 am

I have had a rabid and relentless interest in the paranormal and aliens since I was extremely young, I would hoard books upon spooks and ufos and re-read them constantly, I would watch tv shows and cartoons which were tinted with any form of paranormal content over and over and I still do! I cannot remember ever having a week go by where I have not hyper focused upon ghosts or alien cases either revisiting things or exploring new things. I have boxsets of paranormal shows I rewatch repeatedly, library tomes upon aliens and ghosts, I quiz my friends and family upon either topic several times a week much to their disdain, I watch documentaries endlessly on poltergeists and abductions, even today I watched a 3 hour abduction one! My lunatic affinity for the paranormal has never wavered, I used to believe everyone was so obsessed with it until a few years ago, I will never leave behind my passions for the eerie side of the globe :D I could go on a rant about airplanes too since this is a very similar and long standing interest of mine but I won't!

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2016, 2:10 am

Ive always had an interest in Titanic ever since i was very young, its just not as intense as it was when i was 6.

What is considered a long term special interest?

Because ive been interested in Sonic for 6 years, is that long term?

And ive been intersted in Titanic ever since i was old enough to understand a ship sinking and killing thousands of people, especially because when i was born Titanic was the highest grossing film ever in the world.

DA: http://mephilesdark123.deviantart.com

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2016, 2:18 am

DancingCorpse wrote:
I have had a rabid and relentless interest in the paranormal and aliens since I was extremely young, I would hoard books upon spooks and ufos and re-read them constantly, I would watch tv shows and cartoons which were tinted with any form of paranormal content over and over and I still do! I cannot remember ever having a week go by where I have not hyper focused upon ghosts or alien cases either revisiting things or exploring new things. I have boxsets of paranormal shows I rewatch repeatedly, library tomes upon aliens and ghosts, I quiz my friends and family upon either topic several times a week much to their disdain, I watch documentaries endlessly on poltergeists and abductions, even today I watched a 3 hour abduction one! My lunatic affinity for the paranormal has never wavered, I used to believe everyone was so obsessed with it until a few years ago, I will never leave behind my passions for the eerie side of the globe :D I could go on a rant about airplanes too since this is a very similar and long standing interest of mine but I won't!

^^^^^
Oh yes!! me too.
As a kid i used to watch "Ghost Trackers", a kids show that played on YTV about kids going into haunted houses with "ghost reading equipment" and come out with recordings of ghosts and fottage and it was all real. it would scare SO much, and it was either before or after that show was Mystery Hunters, a personal favourite of mine, where people would research mysterious things like aliens, lock ness monster, Chupacobra, ghosts and all sorts o things and again, the stars were all kids but it was all real, aslo on YTV. It was always on at 9:00pm and 9:30pm (my bed time) but i wouldnt fall asleep until 12:00am

ImageImage

DA: http://mephilesdark123.deviantart.com

DancingCorpse
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2016, 2:32 am

ZombieBrideXD wrote:

^^^^^
Oh yes!! me too.
As a kid i used to watch "Ghost Trackers", a kids show that played on YTV about kids going into haunted houses with "ghost reading equipment" and come out with recordings of ghosts and fottage and it was all real. it would scare SO much, and it was either before or after that show was Mystery Hunters, a personal favourite of mine, where people would research mysterious things like aliens, lock ness monster, Chupacobra, ghosts and all sorts o things and again, the stars were all kids but it was all real, aslo on YTV. It was always on at 9:00pm and 9:30pm (my bed time) but i wouldnt fall asleep until 12:00am

ImageImage

I can definitely relate to you, I have been a nutjob on ghost shows ever since childhood, even the game shows that were remotely creepy I would get enraptured by! I also always watched those kinda mystery shows religiously, we had one called Strange But True in britain for a long time, this was before there was cable but as soon as I got my hands on cable I discovered the channels that play this stuff endlessly and never looked back xD The different cultures having different myths and rumours never fails to intrigue me, I have been researching vampires and how they are represented in different countries recently, the aswang from the Philippines is truly fascinating!

Marybird
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2016, 3:05 am

I've been interested in anthropology since I was a kid after reading about Jane Goodall and the chimps at Gombe in my fathers' National Geographic magazines and have had a lifelong obsession with paleoanthropology.
I remember times I have been browsing bookstores and let out an audible gasp at finding books on the subject.
Especially if they had lifelike pictures of early hominids reconstructed from fossilized bones.
And more recently watched documentaries on Netflix like 'Becoming human', 'Walking with caveman', 'Decoding Neanderthals' over and over and get very upset when they remove them.