i say what i say. i dont say what i mean.

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

random1
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Mar 2016, 10:00 pm

do you get what im trying to say?

pretty sure most people on the spectrum had this problem before.

Yigeren
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2016, 10:23 pm

I say what I mean, usually, but people assume I'm implying something for whatever reason. I usually don't imply anything. I just come right out and say whatever it is.

boygeniusemil
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Mar 2016, 10:55 pm

I usually say what I mean, but others seem to interpret it incorrectly.

JennaTheAspie
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Mar 2016, 11:28 pm

A lot of the time, people tend to think I'm implying something else or that I am not understanding a bigger picture.

animalcrackers
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2016, 11:46 pm

What I say doesn't always match what I mean -- even when people are taking my words perfectly literally and at face value.

Sometimes I'm fully aware that I'm not saying exactly what I mean.....my words are an approximation (often "borrowed" but not always) -- as close as I can get.

Other times I just choose the wrong words without realizing my error (have misunderstood the meaning of a word or phrase).

Love transcends all.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2016, 9:39 am

random1, I don't understand what you mean here.

I don't say everything I mean, but I usually mean what I say. As already mentioned by Yigeren, JennaTheAspie and boygeniusemil, it's also my experience that people often will assume I'm implying things I'm not.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2016, 10:57 am

When in big groups, I hate when my talk turn comes and then I can't even remember what I was going to say or how I have all these words I want to say but they get all jumbled up in my brain it doesn't come out right when I talk so I might say what I don't mean. This is why I am often quiet in my autism groups because I am not good at talking in those situations so I stay quiet but with one and one I don't have any problem at all.

Also I get times when I want to say something but don't know how to say it.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Sabreclaw
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2016, 11:05 am

Sometimes there seems to be a disconnect with what I say and what I mean. Seems like I just can't find the right words.

Idealist
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Mar 2016, 11:08 am

I used to have trouble getting my meaning across when I was younger, something that school bullies made the most off.

Nowadays it's a nonexistent issue.

Idealist wrote:
My Autism was cured/treated in late childhood (this makes me a walking, talking, contradiction to 90% of the Forum who all believe Autism is incurable)

quelo
Butterfly
Butterfly

03 Mar 2016, 11:31 am

Usually whe I say something I mean it, it's literally what I want to say, but people assume there's a subtext in what I say.

Seen this happening as people get older, only conclusion is that people tend to say things with a literal meaning and a hidden meaning as they get older.