why do people ignore the fact were always gonna be autistic?

Page 2 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

random1
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Mar 2016, 3:08 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
LOL.....how can I judge if I've never heard of these games.

I'm an oldster. I go back to Bugs Bunny and the Road Runner.

It's cool that you like these games; I bet many people like those games. That's the way you can show that you are a viable person....by hanging out with people playing those games.

Did you know that there's a "games" section of WrongPlanet?

ooo nice.

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2016, 6:36 am

random1 wrote:
ever notice how autism speaks always only mentions kids with autism?

never the adults or teenagers?

This is because they confuse increased diagnosis with increased prevalence. A lot of autistic adults and teens are undiagnosed or misdiagnosed with something else, simply because when they were little, autism had much narrower diagnostic criteria. Because of that, they're invisible to people like Autism Speaks, and so those people think that autism is increasing dramatically.

Plus, the awareness campaigns tend to exaggerate the severity of autism. Only around 20% or fewer autistic people are as low functioning as the average child in, say, Autism Every Day, and they deliberately make those kids seem worse than they are. (It came out that in that movie they deliberately provoked meltdowns in order to film them.) This leads many people to think that is autism, and therefore when they see someone functioning much better than that, they think that person can't possibly have autism.

This also contributes to the confusion over diagnosis increase, because many people can't imagine how a low functioning autistic person could be undiagnosed. (In fact, many were misdiagnosed in previous generations, but few went completely undiagnosed. The undiagnosed autistic adults and teens are mostly high functioning.)

So, basically it's a sell job to get more money, and then people believe the sell job and come to false conclusions about autism.

random1
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Mar 2016, 3:23 pm

so then what do you guys think the real autism numbers are?

do u think they are still 1 out of 68 born with autism then?

do u think its actually higher a bit? lower a bit?

due to misdiagnoses and stuff.

Pergerlady
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Mar 2016, 3:30 pm

I think that there are a couple of factors at play here. One of them is that as autistic children get older, they learn more about how to fake it and wear a mask, which makes others assume that the autism is gone. The other one is that the people who hate us are simply afraid of what is different, so they protect themselves from their fear by reassuring themselves that the "deviant" kids will grow out of it.

greenylynx
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Mar 2016, 4:03 pm

I remember playing Toontown a couple times back when it was a much newer game. The premise is you create your own Disney styled cartoon character to play as you defeat robot villains as your character. What I really liked is the game centered around working with other players to accomplish tasks.

random1
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Mar 2016, 4:28 pm

greenylynx wrote:
I remember playing Toontown a couple times back when it was a much newer game. The premise is you create your own Disney styled cartoon character to play as you defeat robot villains as your character. What I really liked is the game centered around working with other players to accomplish tasks.

i joined in 2009.
the current game is toontown rewritten which is fun to play.
its right now in open beta.
its quite popular and its free.

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2016, 4:32 pm

Fnord wrote:
It's easier to solicit donations when you can trot out pictures of sad-eyed kids then when pictures of angry-faced adults are used.

Autism Speaks is a money-collecting organization. Roughly four percent of the money they collect actually goes to people with autism. The rest is sucked up by various "administrative" costs.

Yeah, it's pretty pathetic, isnt it?

I know people can be greedy as heck, but... stuff like this is just nasty.

Though the thing that has always bugged me the most is how they paint is as this horrible thing that's just so unbelivably awful, where positive stuff isnt even POSSIBLE. And only show the really bad moments. Or my favorite example, that one video with that woman talking about how she was so frustrated and depressed with her daughter's autism that she'd considered driving herself AND her kid off a bridge.

I mean, just... ugh. Cant stand these people.

Kenya
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2016, 6:35 pm

A YouTuber named Mr. Enter actually brought this up in a video he did where he criticized their ad that was, strangely enough, directed by Alfonso Cuaron. If you haven't watched the video yet, you should when you get the chance. Just look up "Mr. Enter Speaks About Autism Speaks" on YouTube. It's well worth a watch.