Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2016, 7:13 pm

Which email account websites are the best? Can you really trust email account websites?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2016, 7:19 pm

Probably Hotmail/Gmail as far as free ones are concerned.

You can never trust them completely---but I trust the above very much.

Ishi2
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2016, 8:08 pm

I second Gmail. Although extremely outdated, yahoo is also a good email service. I've used mail.com and it seems pretty reliable too.

As for whether or not you can really trust any of them, it's not the email service itself that's untrustworthy, but hackers that are using them for their own gain.

A good rule of thumb though is if you see an email from an address that you don't recognize, it's usually best to trash it. If it looks fishy, DO NOT OPEN IT!! !

Lastly, if you're making any online transactions, make sure the URL says 'https://'
Take proper precautions and you should be safe on any email site.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2016, 7:08 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Probably Hotmail/Gmail as far as free ones are concerned.

You can never trust them completely---but I trust the above very much.

Hotmail doesn't exist any more it is called outlook.com / live.com. You may have the old email addresses thought.

To Op. Read their privacy policy, some of them are serving you add so will use some data to determine which ads to display.

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2016, 7:47 pm

I hate hotmail, I can't reset my password to delete my email account. It is true, you need 2 email accounts one for personal & other for junk & store emails?

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2016, 7:59 pm

Gmail.com is probably the most popular. It's easy to use and good at filtering spam.

There Are Four Lights!

MissAlgernon
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Mar 2016, 8:13 pm

I'm going to go against the tide... I had many problems with Gmail :
- Gmail filters some file formats, I even had a simple mp4 video filtered, the recipient never got it ;
- Gmail reads your email content and extracts keywords in order to target ads at you ;
- Gmail asks you new personal data (like your cell phone number for exemple) regularly and if you don't give it, you won't access your mailbox any longer, not even with Outlook / Thunderbird or another email client software ;
- Gmail is capricious with email client softwares (I had big problems with that personally) and you often have to access it through webmail ; it's even worse with hotmail for that part ;
- Gmail filters some emails as spam and it won't even go to the spambox, it's directly deleted, no matter if the sender is actually not a spammer.
With Hotmail, in addition to having to access it through webmail quite often, it's also a very slow server, and use its settings as a POP3 account is quite hard to do, if not impossible recently. And like Gmail, it sometimes treats normal email like spam, but contrary to Gmail, these emails always go to the spambox instead of being directly deleted, so you can still retrieve them in time.
I used Yahoo until a few years ago and i didn't have any major problem with it.
And yes, it's best that you have an email account for "normal emails" and a second account especially for online stores and potential spammers. If you're using your main email account for online shopping, it's going to be full of spam sooner or later.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

06 Mar 2016, 12:24 am

I had to create a gMail account when i got my 1st droid phone & I noticed some of the problems MissAlgernon mentioned. I also hate the theme/user interface of it. I much prefer the theme/user interface of Yahoo & I noticed less problems with Yahoo including less advertisement emails. I get plenty advertisement emails on gMail & I almost never use gMail for anything.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2016, 12:41 am

Darmok wrote:
Gmail.com is probably the most popular. It's easy to use and good at filtering spam.

I have a Gmail account, Google websites can't be trusted, I read that they spy on you & Hotmail get a lot of hackers.

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2016, 12:48 am

What about apps for email accounts like an email account service that works with making an account for hotmail, gmail, yahoo & more things.

Andoras
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

06 Mar 2016, 4:15 am

I recently I use Outlook.com as my primal e-mail account but I sill has my mailbox.hu e-mail adress as a secondary e-mail adress. As you can see mailbox.hu is a local e-mail company here but they used to work together with Google between 2008-2015 and they used their mail engin too so I have experiences about gmail without I ever had a gmail account.

I had two big problems with the gmail engin:

1.) I think there were too mutch options and some of them were hidden normally like the folder.
2.) It happend with me that I haven't got some mails from somebody because the System filtered out and put into the spams folder while they came from the same person like the others I got. The worst thing is often I only discovered these outfiltered e-mails because the spam folder was hidden always.