Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

coa11111
Butterfly
Butterfly

05 Mar 2016, 10:49 am

i work in a call centre command centre, but then my co-worker who has been there for six years is still naive, and not confident.

he never shares details on tasks, and i'm always left in the dark. He can be sitting next to you, and be almost shouting to ask you a simple question. He eats like a pig and very loudly, and even asks you about personal work stuff, like "how much do you earn?" and then he will come behind you in your cubicle and startle you and if you point it out he'll look oblivious at you.

Is this a symptom of Asperger's?

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2016, 11:07 am

These can be traits of many human conditions. Aspergers is a syndrome meaning the person must have most of the traits.

Diagnostic Criteria for Aspergers Syndrome

How these core traits present depends on the person's personality. The list of traits below is more in English and less psychology jargon

List of Aspergers traits

The core traits must be present in early childhood and aspergers traits occurs in many other conditions thus diagnosing somebody is very involved. At most we can say we suspect the person might have Aspergers. What you wrote is not nearly enough for me to have an opinion.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

coa11111
Butterfly
Butterfly

05 Mar 2016, 11:18 am

yes, i know, but he just seems very weird and not getting it. and very naive for somebody of his age.

carbonmonoxide
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Mar 2016, 11:48 am

So you're coming here criticizing someone's behaviour, calling him weird and asking if we think he has Asperger. Don't you think that's rude?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2016, 11:49 am

Doesn't seem Aspergian to me. He sounds like a pig. An insult to Aspergians.

coa11111
Butterfly
Butterfly

05 Mar 2016, 11:54 am

carbonmonoxide wrote:
So you're coming here criticizing someone's behaviour, calling him weird and asking if we think he has Asperger. Don't you think that's rude?

not really....it's just an innocent question.

mattdens
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

05 Mar 2016, 12:14 pm

coa11111 wrote:
carbonmonoxide wrote:

I'll accept this was probably intended innocently. But what you have essentially and probably inadvertently done is point out a number of bad and irritating character traits this person has and then asked a bunch of people with aspergers if he sounds like one of us, as if this is what we are all like. Understandably some of us might take offence. Lol.

But to answer your question, there's nothing there which sounds indicative of aspergers on its own. He might do, he might not, but probability would suggest not.

mattdens

05 Mar 2016, 12:15 pm

coa11111 wrote:
carbonmonoxide wrote:

I'll accept this was probably intended innocently. But what you have essentially and probably inadvertently done is point out a number of bad and irritating character traits this person has and then asked a bunch of people with aspergers if he sounds like one of us, as if this is what we are all like. Understandably some of us might take offence. Lol.

But to answer your question, there's nothing there which sounds indicative of aspergers on its own. He might do, he might not, but probability would suggest not.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2016, 12:28 pm

I think it was innocent, too---but sort of a reflection of the stereotypical notions out there.

Welcome to WP, where you'll meet real autistic people.