Page 1 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Danae
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2016, 1:04 pm

I love singing. As a person whether Aspie or not, but a lot introverted - daydreaming, in my head, thinking too much - it helps me externalize things physically, a creative way and a positive way.

I started singing early, quit for a while bla bla... And started again. Whatever others, you weirdo, ...

I'd like this to be a friendly thread for those who want to post their own things via youtube or vocaroo, or share their experience. Maybe share tips?

I keep my stuff usually, and beat myself up a lot because it's never good enough, when it's good enough to be decent. I care a lot less. How about you?

I did that hoo, a while ago now, for someone special.

"Ever since I was a child, I’ve never allowed myself to get too close to people. I’ve avoided emotional attachment. Perhaps I’ve been so afraid of death and dying that any connection just seemed like a bad thing, something that wouldn’t last." Dana Scully - Christmas Carol.

Kuraudo777
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2016, 5:26 pm

I love singing every day! :D

A memory is something that has to be consciously recalled, right? That's why sometimes it can be mistaken and a different thing. But it's different from a memory locked deep within your heart. Words aren't the only way to tell someone how you feel.” Tifa Lockheart, Final Fantasy VII

Danae
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2016, 5:45 pm

Ha I thank for posting. And I read the quote, but can only partially agree with it. I think generally things are away from us, even when conscious or thought conscious. But part of it is because we do have our faves but also new that usually make us think different. I like that. With age (not this old but) the unconscious has a lot more answers than thought.

No judgement, in case that would be brought. I wish the best. Come az you are. All.

"Ever since I was a child, I’ve never allowed myself to get too close to people. I’ve avoided emotional attachment. Perhaps I’ve been so afraid of death and dying that any connection just seemed like a bad thing, something that wouldn’t last." Dana Scully - Christmas Carol.

Kuraudo777
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2016, 9:01 am

^Um...could you repeat all that a little differently? I'm not entirely sure what you were saying.

A memory is something that has to be consciously recalled, right? That's why sometimes it can be mistaken and a different thing. But it's different from a memory locked deep within your heart. Words aren't the only way to tell someone how you feel.” Tifa Lockheart, Final Fantasy VII

Danae
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2016, 9:17 am

Your signature. Sorry I'm a lot in my head.

Kuraudo777
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2016, 9:17 am

^Yeah, I'm in my head most of the time, too. :)

probly.an.aspie
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2016, 9:22 am

I love singing. I am very awkward on a stage although I have gotten a little better with time. I have done some singing in church and with choral groups.

My high school choral teacher gave me some of my most used tips--she taught us basic vocal technique and how to "open" the throat as in a yawn for higher notes. She also taught us diaphragmatic breathing--getting greater volume and clearer sound by pushing air out with the same muscles you use to cough. A bit hard to explain but these two techniques improved my singing a lot.

I sing with my kids a lot and we enjoy trying acapella harmonies and getting it right. I have 3 kids so we have 3 or 4 part harmonies on our best songs.

I don't have any recordings or videos of myself singing to post, though.

I use music as a gauge of my mental health at times. I struggle with depression episodes and when I am too low to sing or listen to music, I know I am not in a good place. Music can make me feel a lot better too, when I am not too depressed to enjoy it. It has been a source of much joy for me.

and his pride won't let him
do things to make you think he's right."
-Ed Bruce

Danae
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2016, 9:32 am

Thank you both for your answer.

My mother used to sing, like art diploma and lyrical/classical singing. And when I was little she said to me "sing with your belly", I naturalky am a soprano, still now. At the time I didn't get what she meant. It's about your breathing like probly.an.aspie said. It comes from the diaphragm, makes you not alter or tire your vocal chords. And better pitch whatever your perfect ear.

It does that + helped me reach lower notes I thought I couldn't get.

Then confidence and people is harder. But it's even more cathartic than by oneself. And beyond that.

Last edited by Danae on 07 Mar 2016, 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kuraudo777
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2016, 9:34 am

I don't like singing in front of people [or playing piano in front of people, for that matter].

Danae
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2016, 9:39 am

Before I didn't, at all. And I still prefer alone. But I saw the emotions and so connection I can have through music and singing, for them in a way. It's genuine and rare. I don't want to miss that. Still work better on my own. But for instance, I wouldn't be against having a friend pianist to work with. It's more than the music and words and work. Rare.

Kuraudo777
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2016, 9:43 am

I sing video game music and music from my favourite band and music from my favourite anime. I can do a lovely rendition of Fire Emblem Fates' Lost In Thoughts All Alone. Here's the lyrics, if anyone's interested:

You are the ocean’s gray waves
Destined to seek
Life beyond the shore
Just out of reach
Yet the waters ever change
Flowing like time
That path is yours to climb
In the white light
A hand reaches through
A double-edged blade cuts your heart in two
Waking dreams fade away
Embrace the brand new day
Sing with me a song
Of birthrights and love
The light scatters to the sky above
Dawn breaks through the gloom
White as a bone
Lost in thoughts, all alone
Embrace the dark
You call a home.
Gaze your eyes upon an empty white throne,
A legacy of lies,
A familiar disguise.
Sing with me a song, of conquests and fates
The black pillar cracks, beneath its weight.
Night breaks through the day,
Hard as a stone
Lost in thoughts, all alone
Life is not just filled with happiness
Nor sorrow
Even the thorn in your heart
In time it may become
A rose
Sing with me a song
Of silence and blood
The rain falls but
Can’t wash away the mud
Within my ancient heart dwells madness and pride
Can no one hear my cry?
Destined to seek life beyond the shore
Just out of reach
Yet the waters ever change
Flowing like time
That path is yours to climb

Rockymntchris
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Mar 2016, 10:31 am

I do karaoke weekly to keep my singing in practise, as I have a rather monotone voice likely resulting from a long career as a disc jockey/announcer.

Riik
Toucan
Toucan

07 Mar 2016, 11:28 am

I like singing, but I don't think I'm that good at it... I normally don't get the privacy I need for practice.

When I do sing, I tend to record it to keep a record... idk, an aspie thing I guess? XD

I mean I could share links to certain files, but only if it's wanted, because I don't want to force my singing upon anyone XD... there is one self-composed song I've made with singing in it (although the singing was done in a bedroom so the mic quality isn't great), but again, I'll only post if it's specifically wanted XD

A life without tea is a life not worth living.
Latest Aspie Quiz: AS - 151, NT - 38 / RAADS-R: 195 / AQ: 38

Danae
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2016, 2:48 pm

Kurauto, I'd like to listen.

Kiik, I hear you, there was about a decade when I mostly couldn't practice. Sometimes there are other possibilities, like a car. Depends on personal preferences and material possibilities. Sure there are solutions.

Chris, I will listen later, can't right. Hoping too. Not hopping to, I'm not a rabbit.

Kuraudo777
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2016, 5:58 pm

I can't sing very well right now after a trip to the dentist, but I can still whistle! :)

Riik
Toucan
Toucan

09 Mar 2016, 6:07 pm

Danae wrote:
Kiik, I hear you, there was about a decade when I mostly couldn't practice. Sometimes there are other possibilities, like a car. Depends on personal preferences and material possibilities. Sure there are solutions.

Um... it's "Riik", not "Kiik" XD

Normally I have to wait for the house to empty before I can sing... car's not really an option because I don't have one of my own and I wouldn't feel comfortable sitting in my parents' car for that purpose. I wouldn't say I'm embarrassingly awful at singing, but I'm far from excellent and am certainly unpractised, so whilst I'm not embarrassed about my family hear me sing, I don't feel comfortable giving it my all.

A life without tea is a life not worth living.
Latest Aspie Quiz: AS - 151, NT - 38 / RAADS-R: 195 / AQ: 38