Page 2 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Yigeren
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2016, 7:06 pm

I sing all the time. Unless I'm alone, I'm uncomfortably aware of the presence of others, and I can't sing nearly as well. I get choked up. I do love to sing, though. I'd say I'm much better than average, but not nearly good enough to get paid to sing.

lofty_operation
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

09 Mar 2016, 11:04 pm

I sing a lot, I lurk here more than I post which means I can not share my youtube link though :(

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2016, 11:23 pm

danae, if that is you on the video, you sing nicely. you also on guitar? if so, kudos.

i sing in the local chorale. love learning great music. we have a funny conductor, so practices are entertaining. there are enough people so i don't feel singled out. i'm not a solo type of person, although i did write and record a song we played at my wedding.

Basso53
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2016, 4:05 pm

I discovered that I can sing a little later in life. I still don't consider myself any kind of soloist. However, last summer my wife and I were visiting some of her family in Finland, and on our last night there, we found ourselves in a karaoke bar in a suburb of Helsinki. Since the only people there who I will ever see again were her, her cousin and her cousin's partner, I decided, why not? I picked a few English language tunes (that I knew were within my range) and went for it.

The fact that we had a few beers probably helped get me up there. :wink:

I actually got a little applause. :lol:

You seem to have both Aspie and neurotypical traits

Danae
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2016, 4:54 pm

My apologies Riik! Fortunately I didn't slip on the D :rolleyes:

Cathylynn, just the singing and the video. The guitarist had the right to remain silent.

Admirative of the one singing in a chorale. I remember I tried that once, most stressful and boring experience.

"Ever since I was a child, I’ve never allowed myself to get too close to people. I’ve avoided emotional attachment. Perhaps I’ve been so afraid of death and dying that any connection just seemed like a bad thing, something that wouldn’t last." Dana Scully - Christmas Carol.

Nightingale121
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2016, 7:41 am

I really enjoyed the song you posted, Danae.

Danae wrote:
I love singing. As a person whether Aspie or not, but a lot introverted - daydreaming, in my head, thinking too much - it helps me externalize things physically, a creative way and a positive way.

I totally agree with that. Singing is such a great way to let things out in a positive way. I am often told that I am very introverted, but seem to get "out of my shell" while singing.
cathylynn wrote:
i sing in the local chorale. love learning great music. we have a funny conductor, so practices are entertaining. there are enough people so i don't feel singled out. i'm not a solo type of person, although i did write and record a song we played at my wedding.

I sing in a choir in my town.
Our conductor is funny too, that makes learning entertaining and we still learn a lot. I think having fun while pratising helps. It feels less forced. Of course that doesn't mean he lets us do whatever we want, he still has an eye on the quality and is not a person who is easily satisfied of what we do. That's important to keep focused and not bored I guess, at least it makes me feel that way because I have fun and still always want to get better, it motivates me.
I am not a solo type either, at least when it comes to singing in front of others. But I still sing for myself a lot when I am at home. I just love singing.
Do you have a link to the song you wrote for the wedding? I would like to listen to it.

Riik
Toucan
Toucan

12 Mar 2016, 6:10 pm

Ok, so... I found a recording I'm not too embarrassed to share...

was done in 2014, and I actually think I've gotten worse since then (last time I did any recording was this January, and it was so out of tune compared to my older stuff).

Song is Green Eyes by Coldplay, backing track is a karaoke track, I just did the singing.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/511 ... 20Eyes.mp3

I hugely apologise if anyone ends up cringing upon hearing it. But if more is asked for, I think I can find some others that might be alright... I'm just concerned that if this link is considered bad, then all the others would be worse XD

A life without tea is a life not worth living.
Latest Aspie Quiz: AS - 151, NT - 38 / RAADS-R: 195 / AQ: 38

Rockymntchris
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Mar 2016, 12:39 am

^No cringing here, Riik.^ I'd actually be honoured to have you as my lead-in or follow-up on stage, and would love to hear you take on "Yellow".
<Applause, applause>

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2016, 1:19 am

nightingale, sorry, no link. the song is called "a new day". it's on our wedding video DVD and also a cassette tape. no idea how to turn either of those into a link.

Riik
Toucan
Toucan

13 Mar 2016, 10:04 am

Rockymntchris wrote:
^No cringing here, Riik.^ I'd actually be honoured to have you as my lead-in or follow-up on stage, and would love to hear you take on "Yellow".
<Applause, applause>

hehe

:oops: well um... as a matter of fact, I do have such a recording... from 2013... it's... not great but...

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/511 ... ow%204.mp3

Rockymntchris
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Mar 2016, 2:57 am

^Superb^, the only flaw I could detect sounded like it was actually on the karaoke CD after the second "dry..." However it did not seem to happen when I replayed it, so maybe it was just a stutter in my internet connection?
I especially enjoyed your slightly faster approach to the track, and wish I had the range to do that song on stage, but I probally would come of sounding somwhere between Bob Dylan and Kermit the frog.

Riik
Toucan
Toucan

14 Mar 2016, 11:04 am

Rockymntchris wrote:
^Superb^, the only flaw I could detect sounded like it was actually on the karaoke CD after the second "dry..." However it did not seem to happen when I replayed it, so maybe it was just a stutter in my internet connection?
I especially enjoyed your slightly faster approach to the track, and wish I had the range to do that song on stage, but I probally would come of sounding somwhere between Bob Dylan and Kermit the frog.

I get really really embarrassed at the sound of my own voice, so compliments are a bit of a relief for me. :oops: I especially don't like the tonality of my voice.

As for my vocal range, I can get pretty high with my voice, but I'm not so good in the lower range (e.g. there's a note in Coldplay's Don't Panic that I just can't hit). I am quite proud of my ability to go high though and my favourite high note thus far that I've hit has to be the last note of Muse's Plug In Baby.

Danae
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2016, 6:45 am

Holy f..riday, I've missed the party.

I can't seem to be able to open Riik's links. Correctly redirected but then it goes blank. Frustratred.

I could listen to Chris. Keep it up. I don't know if I could do it.

"Ever since I was a child, I’ve never allowed myself to get too close to people. I’ve avoided emotional attachment. Perhaps I’ve been so afraid of death and dying that any connection just seemed like a bad thing, something that wouldn’t last." Dana Scully - Christmas Carol.

Riik
Toucan
Toucan

17 Mar 2016, 4:38 pm

Danae wrote:
Holy f..riday, I've missed the party.

I can't seem to be able to open Riik's links. Correctly redirected but then it goes blank. Frustratred.

I could listen to Chris. Keep it up. I don't know if I could do it.

My links are directly to mp3 files. If they don't work chances are it's because either your web browser doesn't support directly playing music files or you don't have the right kind of plug-ins installed. In those cases (if you're on a computer), you can simply right-click the links and then click "Save link as..." (or whatever equivalent) and save the file and play from there.

Honestly, though, you don't have to if you don't want to... I mean I might have been brave enough to share those files but I'm still kinda embarrassed about them XD

Kuraudo777
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2016, 5:35 pm

I would love to post videos of me singing, but I'm to shy and besides which my mum is already wary enough about me being on this forum in the first place.

A memory is something that has to be consciously recalled, right? That's why sometimes it can be mistaken and a different thing. But it's different from a memory locked deep within your heart. Words aren't the only way to tell someone how you feel.” Tifa Lockheart, Final Fantasy VII

Danae
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2016, 11:28 am

On my phone. I didn't pay attention to the extention. This explains that. I'll find another way. Brave is a great quality that deserves rewarding :p