Page 4 of 5 [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

yellowtamarin
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2016, 3:17 am

babybird wrote:
I have an undercut so It's all shaved underneath but I can still have a ponytail.

It makes it easier to handle because I can't be doing with loads of hair everywhere.

also, it makes it easy to do myself because I hate the hairdressers.

Yes, I recommend that too. That's what I had when I had longer hair. It's easy to shave yourself, and then it's so much tidier and simpler to manage.

VDUB04
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

09 Mar 2016, 2:38 pm

ZombieBrideXD wrote:
i have NEVER EVER been able to take care of my hair- EVER. its very thick and wavy hair so it tangles easily. as a kid my hair was always tangled (borderline dreadlocks) and always in my face. I always, to this day, cry when i brush my hair because it can take over an hour and the pain is unbearable. When i was 16 my hair was died from brown to blonde and cut to shoulder length, it was very pretty, however i couldn't take care of it and it became extremely matted and infested with lice, the hair was cut off to about an in to 4cm long, (except for one side of my hair which was kept long at about half a foot.) it looked nice and was easier to care for but recently it became unbearable to care for. The longest part of my hair especially.

i recently cut off over half of my hair and now looks like this:

so like a pixie cut

Much easier to care for i am very happy with it.

How are you and your hair?

I never used to be able to do my own hair, my mum did it for me until I was around 18. Then I managed it poorly until last year when I had it cut to a very similar cut to the one you've pictured and I manage very well now :). As I don't exactly dress particularly feminine, I do sometimes get called a gentleman but I'm more concerned with dressing for comfort and practicality and being able to manage my own hair at the age of 24!

TattaN
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

26 Jan 2019, 9:33 am

It's better to use natural homemade shampoos. I practice DIY shampoo and soaps, so recommend you to try as well.

SuSaNnA
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

28 Jan 2019, 3:55 am

Not really, haha.
I'm born with wavy hair, and no matter how much I comb my hair, they stick out like octopus tentacles.
I now perm my hair every year and make them curly, so they don't do that anymore.

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2019, 10:32 am

Yes. But I keep it in a ponytail. When I was younger my mother forced me to have it cut because she felt I couldn't take care of it. I was always being mistaken for a boy or people assumed I had gone through chemo. I was never allowed to have it past my ears as a child. Sometimes I was allowed to have it a little bit past my shoulders but that never lasted. I only had it cut when I was essentially bedridden for a year and could not stand up without throwing up it was tired of having to wash vomit out of my hair all the time. And once when I got a bad sunburn. But whenever I need or want my hair cut now, I have to do it myself. I don't trust hair stylists because as kid that would always cut it too short. And I was never allowed to have it long. So that created issues as an adult. I also dye it pink. Not just highlights, solid pink. So what if people think I got cotton candy for hair? It's my hair and I like it thank you very much. Sometimes I put blue or purple highlights in it. But pink is my base color. My mom thinks I look like a drug addict but I don't care. But she just hates everything out of the normal.

Arganger
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2019, 12:15 pm

I keep mine short so I don't have to do more than brush it every few days

Suspected; PTSD (Treated, as my counselor did notice), possible PCOS, PMDD, Learning disabilities (Sure of it, unknown what they are), possibly something wrong with immune system (Sick about as much as I'm not) Possible EDS- hyper mobility type (Will be getting tested, suggested by doctor) dysautonomia

Ilikemusic
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Jan 2019, 2:45 pm

I cant take care of my hair by myself. I dont really like showers that much. I avoid them. I have longish hair. It gets dirty and knotted.

I have an aunt who works with autistic adults. She understands certain things that my parents dont always understand. Showers are bad sensory experiences for me because of the sound and feeling of water. She knows how to set the shower so its not as loud. I like to sit in the shower as well.

The most dreaded experience of all of that though is brushing my hair afterwards. Its bad sensory feelings. I dont do that though. My aunt brushes most of it while I try to swat her hand away. I get frustrated and swear. I like how smooth my hair is afterwards though.

I try brushing it myself but I have bad coordination and flexibility which makes it extremely difficult sometimes. Its a part of my self care goals in special education at school.

I want to be more independent. People at school are not so nice to me because of my hair issues and other hygeine stuff. I dont like deoderant that much. I use it though. It feels weird to put on.

y-pod
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2019, 7:11 am

I have long, thick hair. My sons have long, thick hair, too. I think we managed pretty well. We all have naturally slippery hair, though so they don't have tangles. Combing is more ceremonial than functional. I don't know what I would do if I have fine tangly hair. I'd probably cut it shorter, too. There's nothing wrong with shorter hair in women. In my experience you usually stand out a bit more among other girls who hide behind their hair.

green0star
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2019, 8:23 am

it took me a little while but I did learn to care for my hair after I stopped dumping chemical straighters and flat ironing

JD12345
Toucan
Toucan

03 Feb 2019, 8:38 am

My hair kind of looks like Boris Johnson's (albeit mine has a much darker colour):

Hence I guess the answer would be 'no', lol.

KingExplosionMurder
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Feb 2019, 11:20 am

As of recently my hair is braided most of the time. I will braid it before bed or after a shower and leave it in when i wake up, wear it all day then redo it that night. I find it's helped me remember to brush my hair, since that's something I've always hated doing. My hair also gets really greasy so keeping it tied back helps with that issue. I also keep it tied back for sensory reasons.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

07 Feb 2019, 9:13 am

I wash my head hair every time I take a shower which is usually every couple/few days. I used to shower every day but my doc suggested I shower less often due to my skin eczema. We also have to go to the laundromat to do our laundry cuz our apartment complex doesn't have a washer & dryer. We also don't drive so getting there with our laundry is difficult so it's better that I shower less often. Anyways getting back to hair... I get my hair cut short but I don't get it cut again till I start having problems combing it. I'm also losing my hair due to male-pattern baldness which is a reason why combing it can be an issue. I'm taking some meds to try & save my hair. I'm also using Rogaine foam 1ce or 2wice a day(I try for 2wice but sometimes I forget or put it off cuz of something going on). I would get a hair transplant if I knew where to go & had the money.

I shave my facial hair about 1ce a week but sometimes it's alittle longer cuz of when I shower). Shaving can be difficult for me because I have a low vision disorder & a tremor disorder that acts up when doing things with fine motor-skills. I sometimes get my girlfriend to shave my face cuz it's faster & easier. I shave it in the shower & go by feel. I shaved every skewl night sense I started high-skewl cuz of their dress code policy. I grew a beard during the summers & for two years after I graduated cuz of how I hated shaving. I started shaving it again around summer time cuz I had a lot of chores to do outside for a while & my face got really itchy while doing them. I decided to keep up with shaving cuz I didn't like the itching of when it grows back. I was also looking for jobs or employed & I thought things would be easier for me if I kept up with shaving.

I started shaving my pubic hair(armpits & crotch) regularly while I was in high-skewl cuz we ran/walked track regularly & it's usually very hot & humid in Louisiana. I kept up with the shaving ever sense. For some reason it's actually easier for me to shave my crotch than my face. One of the meds I take for my male-pattern baldness slows down body hair growth including my pubic hair which is another reason I'm on that med. I shave it like 1ce a month.

I get my head hair cut by a professional thou my mom used to do it when I was a kid & teen. I have a weird story about that. I HATED getting my hair cut as a kid. One time my mom took me to a professional & I was so uncooperative(I had a bad meltdown) that she took me home instead of me getting it cut. She yelled at me a lot & punished me for misbehaving. I decided to try & make her happy by cutting it myself. It looked like total cr@p thou so I got really embarrassed & scared. I hid in my closet & the doorknob broke. The door had to be taken off it's hinges to get me out & then my head was shaved with a razor which was worse than using scissors because of the noise & vibration. I haven't fought getting a hair cut sense.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Nonsense
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

07 Feb 2019, 1:44 pm

Technically speaking, I probably could take care of my hair and shower is no problem but I would probably forget the brushing part. Anyway, I keep my hair very very short and minimal so that it's rather low maintenance and I don't need to feel the greasy hairs touching my skin.

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2019, 2:38 pm

I keep mine short almost 'buzzed" it makes washing quick, and styling unnecessary

quite an extreme
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2019, 5:17 pm

At least I'm not yet bald. :geek:

Antonela04
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

07 Feb 2019, 6:57 pm

I don't take good care of my hair either. I don't do a good job at brushing it.