Page 2 of 3 [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Yigeren
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2016, 7:42 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Yeah...I know what you mean.

I'm a short man, and I'm not often taken seriously.

In fact, I'm the Court Jester of the office.

I never thought about it applying to men as well. I'll have to try to take notice to see if short men are not taken seriously. I know that they are often not respected as much as taller men.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2016, 7:46 pm

I do feel we have to assert our rights in some way---but it has to be done Kraftily :wink:

Yigeren
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2016, 7:53 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I do feel we have to assert our rights in some way---but it has to be done Kraftily :wink:

:lol:

TheAP
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2016, 8:10 pm

This happened to me when I was younger. I hated it.

goofygoobers
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2016, 8:15 pm

StarTrekker wrote:
It happens to me all the time, and it's starting to get particularly annoying. I'll say something completely ordinary and innocuous, and the other person will start laughing for no obvious reason. When I ask why they're laughing, they don't answer, say, "I don't know", or tell me that I'm "cute". When I ask why they think I'm "cute" (a term I find a little annoying and derogatory in and of itself), they just say, "You just are," or "It's the way you say things" which turns into a circular argument, because I don't know what I've said that made them laugh and think me cute!

I'm starting to get frustrated, because I can't tell if people are laughing at me maliciously, or if they mean it to be friendly. I can't think of a time when I ever laughed at something that was cute, but not simultaneously funny. I don't find cute things to be inherently amusing, and I don't understand why it appears that so many NT's do. Does anyone else experience this, or have an explanation for its occurrence?

My mom does this to me when I speak with enthusiasm (I tend to have a lot of inflection in my voice when I do.) or when I make silly facial expressions. Other times she'll laugh about what I say and I don't know why.

Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2016, 12:46 am

nerdygirl wrote:
There are different kinds of laughter, however, and all laughter should NOT be interpreted as malicious. If you interpret a light-hearted chuckle as malicious, you would be in the wrong. This is one of those things like learning body language. Different things mean different things. You can't judge all laughter this way. You will create more social barriers for yourself. It would be good to try and figure out which kind of laughter is which.
Hey, I did say "unless I'm certain beyond all doubt". So I do allow the possibility of "good" laughter. Or even "deserved" laughter, like when I accidentally say something stupid or slip on a banana peel. But in my experience, the laughter I usually get thrown at me is "one letter away from slaughter". So I tend to err on the side of caution.

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2016, 2:48 am

Yigeren wrote:
She strikes me as a highly intelligent and often serious person, and I am guessing that she probably would like to be taken more seriously and respected for those qualities. I think sometimes small women in general do have trouble being taken seriously and thought of as mature adults, only because they often appear to be younger.

Thank you Yigeren, that's very flattering :) I do have a humorous streak, but it would be nice to be taken more seriously when I'm clearly (to me anyway) not trying to be funny. One example I can think of happened several months ago. The same boy I mentioned came up and asked, "What happens if you pour water on the floor in the freezer?" I could tell it wasn't rhetorical and that he actually wanted an answer so he could set up the punchline for a joke (in this case, one of my co-workers had tried to wash the freezer floor and wound up chipping ice for several hours) so I said, "Assuming the freezer is functioning at optimum efficiency, the water will freeze." He immediately started laughing, and when I asked him why, he repeated what I'd said, "Assuming the freezer is functioning at optimum efficiency."

My diction may have been a little overly formal for the situation, which may have been the reason for his laughter, but if he was laughing at the fact that I'd qualified my statement, that makes no sense. It wouldn't be accurate to simply say, "the water will freeze" because it doesn't take all the possibilities into account; if the freezer were unplugged and thawed out, or broken and not functioning properly, the water wouldn't freeze. I find that a lot of NTs I know gloss over or skip important details, and it drives me crazy.

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2016, 2:57 am

StarTrekker wrote:
so I said, "Assuming the freezer is functioning at optimum efficiency...."

"Slice these vegetables transversely in 5 mm increments."

There Are Four Lights!

Yigeren
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2016, 3:09 am

"Assuming the freezer is functioning at optimum efficiency" would be a little formal for the situation, but I can imagine myself saying something similar. I would also feel the need to mention that the water would only freeze if the freezer were working properly, but I imagine most NTs would not. I think they usually don't consider those details to be important, or consider such information to be obvious or implied.

If I had to guess, I'd say that he was laughing at the formality of your speech.

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2016, 3:43 am

Darmok wrote:
StarTrekker wrote:

"Your technique is flawed."

"Sorry, I'm a replicator man."

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2016, 4:00 am

StarTrekker wrote:
Darmok wrote:
StarTrekker wrote:

"Your technique is flawed."

"Sorry, I'm a replicator man."

See? You are Annika Hansen. Now that your Borg implants have been removed it will just take you a little while to adjust to human society. As long as you allow sufficient time for regeneration I am certain you will have a bright future ahead.

There Are Four Lights!

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2016, 4:08 am

Yigeren wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
Yeah...I know what you mean.

I'm a short man, and I'm not often taken seriously.

In fact, I'm the Court Jester of the office.

I never thought about it applying to men as well. I'll have to try to take notice to see if short men are not taken seriously. I know that they are often not respected as much as taller men.

Im a guy, and I never really noticed that either. Though Ive always heard that the guys we elect as president tend to be taller than average.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2016, 4:35 am

I have something similar happen to me.