Post your unpopular music-related opinions here

Page 27 of 29 [ 454 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29  Next

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2020, 1:40 am

Playing to the grid sounds boring.
I'd rather hear a roughly produced 90s era demo that 'breathes' than most current metal.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

PhosphorusDecree
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2020, 9:58 am

I have to admit, the great songs of my generation mean nothing to me. When I want to reconnect with my roots, I listen to an hour-long symphony by some dead Austrian or Russian.

maycontainthunder
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2020, 10:05 am

I can't sing, dance or play a musical instrument. Thank god for autotune enabling me to go straight to number one! :jester:

Udinaas
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2020, 11:56 am

funeralxempire wrote:
I'd rather hear a roughly produced 90s era demo that 'breathes' than most current metal.

For most extreme metal I prefer production that's raw and atmospheric but also loud and not muffled. Celtic Frost's Monotheist and Katatonia's Brave Murder Day are the best produced albums I've heard in this regard. I think cleaner production can still sound good if it's atmospheric (especially if it's being combined with other genres and the point isn't just to be brutal) and overproduced metal is less annoying to me than extreme lo-fi where the static is literally louder than the instruments. But overproduction can still annoy me a lot. I was very disappointed with the production on Magma compared to Gojira's previous albums and after hearing the live recordings of songs from that album I can't listen to the studio versions anymore.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2020, 12:13 pm

Udinaas wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

For most extreme metal I prefer production that's raw and atmospheric but also loud and not muffled. Celtic Frost's Monotheist and Katatonia's Brave Murder Day are the best produced albums I've heard in this regard. I think cleaner production can still sound good if it's atmospheric (especially if it's being combined with other genres and the point isn't just to be brutal) and overproduced metal is less annoying to me than extreme lo-fi where the static is literally louder than the instruments. But overproduction can still annoy me a lot. I was very disappointed with the production on Magma compared to Gojira's previous albums and after hearing the live recordings of songs from that album I can't listen to the studio versions anymore.

For what it's worth I'm not describing lo-fi vs. hi-fi production, or highly compressed production vs. more dynamic production (although those are also things I have strong opinions about). What I'm fixating on is basically a matter of how time is kept on a production.

If you listen to the Burzum album From The Depths of Darkness compared to the original recordings of those songs you'll see what I mean. The original recordings are far less consist in terms of bpm, he's playing 'in the pocket', but not to a metronome so sections subtly change tempo all the time.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

PhosphorusDecree
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2020, 7:56 am

funeralxempire wrote:
Udinaas wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

For what it's worth I'm not describing lo-fi vs. hi-fi production, or highly compressed production vs. more dynamic production (although those are also things I have strong opinions about). What I'm fixating on is basically a matter of how time is kept on a production.

If you listen to the Burzum album From The Depths of Darkness compared to the original recordings of those songs you'll see what I mean. The original recordings are far less consist in terms of bpm, he's playing 'in the pocket', but not to a metronome so sections subtly change tempo all the time.

Playing live, there's often long sections of music that sound better played slightly faster or slower than the rest of the song, and dramatic moments when you need to briefly push or drag the tempo. Most of the time you don't even realise that's what you're doing. With a click track in the studio, it's just not going to happen.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2020, 2:56 pm

PhosphorusDecree wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Udinaas wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

Playing live, there's often long sections of music that sound better played slightly faster or slower than the rest of the song, and dramatic moments when you need to briefly push or drag the tempo. Most of the time you don't even realise that's what you're doing. With a click track in the studio, it's just not going to happen.

And when it doesn't happen I get bored. :nerdy:

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Udinaas
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2021, 3:26 pm

My Arms, Your Hearse by Opeth is the greatest album of all time.
Opeth's first two albums, Orchid and Morningrise, are great black metal albums.
The 90s were a better decade for metal than the 80s.
Rotting Christ is better than Behemoth.
Adrenaline by Deftones is the best nu-metal album.
Deafheaven and Death Grips were the best artists of the 2010s.
The Money Store is the worst Death Grips album.
Hail to the Thief is the best Radiohead album.
Drake is the worst musician of all time.
Unless the intent is to be funny or ironic, music should sound like what the lyrics are about, not have a happy sheen over it.

PhosphorusDecree
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2021, 5:23 am

Music which I do not like is not garbage music for stupid people. I just don't like it. Now, THAT's an unpopular opinion in my experience...

OutsideView
Veteran
Veteran

Location: England ^not male but apparently you can't change it

10 Jan 2021, 6:12 am

I can't stand the Police but love the soundtrack to Spyro The Dragon and the song "Don't Care" (both by Stewart Copeland, drummer for the Police).

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2021, 11:24 pm

Most hip-hop today is awful because it's mainly about cars, drugs, money, or sex.

xxSkull_Princessxx
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

09 Apr 2023, 10:40 pm

Metalcore is awesome and is very underrated/overhated.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2023, 10:45 pm

xxSkull_Princessxx wrote:
Metalcore is awesome and is very underrated/overhated.

I thought it was mostly the kids with fringe cuts and white belts sub-variety of metalcore that gets s**t on, not the entire genre.

Converge consistently seems to get quite a lot of critical praise though, for example.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2023, 5:13 am

I've been reading some of my old posts here, and man, I used to rag on hip hop a LOT. It's still not my top genre, but there's definitely stuff in it that I like.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2023, 6:54 pm

Skinny Puppy > Nine Inch Nails (though I respect both).

Also for Pink Floyd the least appealing albums are Animals and The Wall (one notable caveat for Comfortably Numb), I even like The Final Cut more.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

GadgetGuru
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2023, 9:15 pm

The Hurdy Gurdy is the sexiest instrument...

Darron