Post your unpopular music-related opinions here

Page 24 of 29 [ 454 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27 ... 29  Next

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2016, 6:45 am

funeralxempire wrote:
orangegoldgreen wrote:
My illogically intense dislike of Taylor Swift helps me make enemies. Especially teen girls and middle aged men.

Who?

I find ignoring mainstream music greatly reduced my level of contempt for people who perform it.

It's hard to ignore when you hear it everywhere. Of course, this hasn't been nearly as much of a problem for me lately since the only time I usually hear it is when it's on TV.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2016, 11:10 am

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
orangegoldgreen wrote:
My illogically intense dislike of Taylor Swift helps me make enemies. Especially teen girls and middle aged men.

Who?

I find ignoring mainstream music greatly reduced my level of contempt for people who perform it.

It's hard to ignore when you hear it everywhere. Of course, this hasn't been nearly as much of a problem for me lately since the only time I usually hear it is when it's on TV.

I don't listen to the radio or watch TV ever, so that makes it a lot easier to control exposure to it. I live in a bubble where pop, country and rock music simply don't exist.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Zizu58
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Oct 2016, 4:08 pm

I must be the only person who doesn't like the music of Bob Dylan or The Rolling Stones

Pravda
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

13 Oct 2016, 4:15 pm

I actually hugely respect Taylor Swift and think Style was the best song of last year. Also I think Carly Rae Jepsen is a vastly underrated genius, Run Away With Me is one of the most brilliant songs I've ever heard.

For someone who spends most of their time listening to heavy fookin metal from Blind Guardian to Exodus, instant street cred demolition.

Oh, meanwhile I think the Rolling Stones are overrated. Their songs have severe pacing/flow problems. So, right there with you, person above me. Bob Dylan is a pretty awesomely evocative songwriter though, I'm a fan.

Don't believe the gender tag. I was born intersex and identify as queer, girl-leaning. So while I can sometimes present as an effeminate guy, that's less than half the time and if anything I'd prefer it say "female" of the two choices offered. I can't change it though, it's bugged.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2016, 4:35 pm

Pravda wrote:
I actually hugely respect Taylor Swift and think Style was the best song of last year. Also I think Carly Rae Jepsen is a vastly underrated genius, Run Away With Me is one of the most brilliant songs I've ever heard.

For someone who spends most of their time listening to heavy fookin metal from Blind Guardian to Exodus, instant street cred demolition.

Oh, meanwhile I think the Rolling Stones are overrated. Their songs have severe pacing/flow problems. So, right there with you, person above me. Bob Dylan is a pretty awesomely evocative songwriter though, I'm a fan.

I really only like a few songs I've heard of the Rolling Stones, like Paint it Black but I wouldn't say they're one of my favorites by any means.

beakybird
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2016, 10:01 pm

Zizu58 wrote:
I must be the only person who doesn't like the music of Bob Dylan or The Rolling Stones

you're not. Cant stand either.

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2016, 4:11 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
Pravda wrote:

I really only like a few songs I've heard of the Rolling Stones, like Paint it Black but I wouldn't say they're one of my favorites by any means.

Same.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

Outrider
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2016, 5:15 am

A lot of Jazz can be very boring, uninspiring and uninteresting.

There, I said it.

Of course there is interesting and fun jazz.

There's upbeat and fast, there's calm and relaxed, there's sweet and melodically beautiful, there's sad and melancholic, etc.

Maybe it's just the Jazz played on the TV radio station here though, but a lot of it is in my opinion a poor representation of what Jazz can be.

Most of the Jazz songs played on this station are very slow, dull, boring Jazz lacking any real interesting hooks or melodies.

I'm talking maybe 3 and a 1/2 minutes of a single instrument being played slowly and quietly in random, disjointed improvisation, or 3-5 minutes of nothing but slow percussion drums being played improv and maybe a drawling bass if we're lucky. Plenty of parts where the instruments slow down or even come to a complete 10-20 second stop before slowly resuming.

I can see why this is so - the improv is supposed to be impressive, but it just doesn't appeal to me.

I just can't see which scenarios this sort of Jazz would be nice to listen to in aside from personal listenings.

It's so slow it's actually hard not to ignore when trying to focus on something else. I've noticed a lot of Jazz is low-key, easy to ignore due to its pleasantness on the ears but even when focusing on something else it still has that positive effect on the brain in the background. Not this jazz.

Where's the upbeat Jazz, where's the swing music?

Where's the jazz with the beautiful string instruments, where's the calm yet upbeat stuff with drums, bass and saxophone that make you think of being in a relaxed cafe on a long Friday night?

Nope, lol it's all the Elevator Jazz Music.

Zizu58
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Oct 2016, 3:44 pm

Outrider wrote:
A lot of Jazz can be very boring, uninspiring and uninteresting.

There, I said it.

Of course there is interesting and fun jazz.

There's upbeat and fast, there's calm and relaxed, there's sweet and melodically beautiful, there's sad and melancholic, etc.

Maybe it's just the Jazz played on the TV radio station here though, but a lot of it is in my opinion a poor representation of what Jazz can be.

Most of the Jazz songs played on this station are very slow, dull, boring Jazz lacking any real interesting hooks or melodies.

I'm talking maybe 3 and a 1/2 minutes of a single instrument being played slowly and quietly in random, disjointed improvisation, or 3-5 minutes of nothing but slow percussion drums being played improv and maybe a drawling bass if we're lucky. Plenty of parts where the instruments slow down or even come to a complete 10-20 second stop before slowly resuming.

I can see why this is so - the improv is supposed to be impressive, but it just doesn't appeal to me.

I just can't see which scenarios this sort of Jazz would be nice to listen to in aside from personal listenings.

It's so slow it's actually hard not to ignore when trying to focus on something else. I've noticed a lot of Jazz is low-key, easy to ignore due to its pleasantness on the ears but even when focusing on something else it still has that positive effect on the brain in the background. Not this jazz.

Where's the upbeat Jazz, where's the swing music?

Where's the jazz with the beautiful string instruments, where's the calm yet upbeat stuff with drums, bass and saxophone that make you think of being in a relaxed cafe on a long Friday night?

Nope, lol it's all the Elevator Jazz Music.

Search out some David Chesky Jazz .......extremely melodic ! !

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2016, 11:10 am

I hate when the vocalist sounds like one of these:

But it must be an unpopular opinion since it seems to occur a lot in mainstream/popular music.

Nothingman
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

02 Nov 2016, 2:45 pm

Mine is most modern music is terrible. The 80s seemed to be the general cut off.

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2016, 4:55 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
I hate when the vocalist sounds like one of these:

But it must be an unpopular opinion since it seems to occur a lot in mainstream/popular music.

Modern pop vocals are the actual worst, I don't know how anybody stands it, let alone how it's so popular.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

Outrider
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2016, 7:49 am

What counts as 'pop/mainstream' vocals?

For men I consider it that whiny, nasally, heavily autotuned tenor voice that stabs your ears like icepicks.

Or the calmer, country/folkish sounding one.

Or (c)Rappers aka the awful sounding mainsream rappers who scream, whine or simply talk without even making an attempt to rap properly. E.g. Fetty Wap, Lil Wayne, Chris Brown, Drake and his drunken slurry drawl, etc.

That or just plain 'Party Rocker' type trash ironically pioneered by LMFAO themselves.

It seems modern pop has no room anymore for bass or baritone pitched men.

I cringe everytime I listen to a male pop singer and it's always a high pitched sounding guy.

The men have a homogonous sound, in both voice and musical composition.

Charlie Puth, Shawn Mendes, JB, etc. are the whiny tenors with complete generic trash.

Ed Sheeran, Jamie Lawson, Passenger, James Bay, The Lumineers, etc. have the folk sound going on. They're actually pretty good at times, and this category varies from boring/not so good to actually quite beautiful.

This isn't to say all pop is bad.

The women also do sound generic. Almost all female singers sound the same to me nowadays except for the rare exceptions like Lorde.

Otherwise it seems almost every black female singer sounds like Rihanna.

Two girl groups, Fifth Harmony and Little Mix are difficult to tell apart.

- Anyway...the CHAINSMOKERS SUCK.

Yes, those are the guys the made Selfie, but at a rapid rate they keep releasing cheesy pop hits like Roses and Closer.

Many seem to think Selfie was bad but now they've 'evolved'.

Nope.

Closer is a rubbish song.

Cheesy, simplistic lyrics with the most awkward chance at throwing in a cultural reference (Blink 182) I've ever seen.

That obnoxious kazoo sound as the chorus. Ugh.

- One Direction aren't the worst boy band of all time.

I have a challenger to the title: the lesser known and now broken up Allstar Weekend!

Who the heck even is that rapper? I'm not sure if he's even in the band yet there's no "feat. X" in the title.

Geez.

At least One Direction have one slightly okay song (Midnight Memories) these 'Allstar' guys just don't.

EclecticWarrior
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2016, 9:40 pm

I think Kanye West is NOT a musical genius and all the duets with McCartney in the world can't change my opinion. Not to mention he's also egotistical and pompous. He's finally getting some help for his mental health issues but it won't change my opinion on his music. (Believe it or not, people have been called racist for expressing this view- well talentlessness knows no colour :))

Some of the 1970s music from what would now be considered "boybands" (Bay City Rollers, Jackson Five, Sweet Sensation) was very good. The Rollers' last three albums are very introspective and polished but obviously didn't translate to sales.

Despite committing unforgivable and disgusting acts, Gary Glitter had some good singles. :oops:

The quality of songwriting was much higher in the 70s than it was today, explaining the last two.

WP's most sparkling member.

DX classic autism 1995, AS 2003, depression 2008

~INFP~

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2016, 2:46 am

This idea was very popular in the 70's but is unpopular now.

"Disco Sucks"

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

SnailHail
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Nov 2016, 8:04 pm

Outrider wrote:

For men I consider it that whiny, nasally, heavily autotuned tenor voice that stabs your ears like icepicks.

Or the calmer, country/folkish sounding one.

Or (c)Rappers aka the awful sounding mainsream rappers who scream, whine or simply talk without even making an attempt to rap properly. E.g. Fetty Wap, Lil Wayne, Chris Brown, Drake and his drunken slurry drawl, etc.

That or just plain 'Party Rocker' type trash ironically pioneered by LMFAO themselves.

It seems modern pop has no room anymore for bass or baritone pitched men.

I cringe everytime I listen to a male pop singer and it's always a high pitched sounding guy.

The men have a homogonous sound, in both voice and musical composition.

Charlie Puth, Shawn Mendes, JB, etc. are the whiny tenors with complete generic trash.

Ed Sheeran, Jamie Lawson, Passenger, James Bay, The Lumineers, etc. have the folk sound going on. They're actually pretty good at times, and this category varies from boring/not so good to actually quite beautiful.

This isn't to say all pop is bad.

The women also do sound generic. Almost all female singers sound the same to me nowadays except for the rare exceptions like Lorde.

Otherwise it seems almost every black female singer sounds like Rihanna.

Two girl groups, Fifth Harmony and Little Mix are difficult to tell apart.

- Anyway...the CHAINSMOKERS SUCK.

Yes, those are the guys the made Selfie, but at a rapid rate they keep releasing cheesy pop hits like Roses and Closer.

Many seem to think Selfie was bad but now they've 'evolved'.

Nope.

Closer is a rubbish song.

Cheesy, simplistic lyrics with the most awkward chance at throwing in a cultural reference (Blink 182) I've ever seen.

That obnoxious kazoo sound as the chorus. Ugh.

- One Direction aren't the worst boy band of all time.

I have a challenger to the title: the lesser known and now broken up Allstar Weekend!

Who the heck even is that rapper? I'm not sure if he's even in the band yet there's no "feat. X" in the title.

Geez.

At least One Direction have one slightly okay song (Midnight Memories) these 'Allstar' guys just don't.

I strongly agree with everything you wrote, everyone sounds the same nowadays, if I were to listen to all their songs for the first time and not be told who is the vocalist I'd assume it would the same person. Corporatism is real strong in today's pop music so artist are often discourage from sounding too different.