Post your unpopular music-related opinions here

Page 26 of 29 [ 454 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29  Next

deafghost52
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Dec 2016, 10:03 am

Amebix wrote:
The Rolling Stones were an album band.
What I mean by this is, ... [t]he Rolling Stones have way more consistent albums, where you don't want to miss a single track. I would also say Stones albums follow themes more successfully, making the songs stronger when heard together with the other songs on the album/of the theme.

Man, if you like album bands, you gotta check out Dream Theater. Awake was an album that held themes throughout quite consistently (even motivic phrases) without making it grow old*. I don't know if you're into metal, but I highly recommend them.

*Some good examples are the "Caught in a Web" chorus which makes a return in "Erotomania," and the "Space Dye Vest" chorus which makes a preemptive appearance in "The Mirror." :mrgreen:

-- Claude Debussy

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2016, 10:19 pm

Lunella wrote:
^ Maybe for the mainstream music but certain genres simply don't have that and are still going strong.

Yes like metal for instance.

madbutnotmad
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2016, 10:22 pm

you may like autechre
although i dont believe there music is metal core
i believe that it is full of glitchy chaotic bleeps

LonelyJar
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2016, 4:51 am

Nightcore! Must! DIE!

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2016, 11:24 am

LonelyJar wrote:
Nightcore! Must! DIE!

I don't get what the deal is with it myself. It's literally just random pop songs sped up, without any sort of rearrangement or remixing. Vaporwave is often accused of similar things, but at least they tend to put some effort into taking the songs and turning them into something different instead of just altering the playback speed. Although tbh, the vaporwave technique is more or less the chopped 'n screwed technique applied to non-hip hop songs with a sarcastically nostalgic art aesthetic to match.

SnailHail
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Dec 2016, 3:24 pm

muffinhead wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
muffinhead wrote:
Music today is more a commodity than it ever has been. Radio has lost relevance as a medium to introduce listeners to groundbreaking music. Bands are a thing of the past. People make songs, not albums.

I listen to quite a few bands that have made albums and continue making them.

The radio isn't the only place to get music, there are independent record stores with good music and there are things like spotify and amazon music....none of the music I like is on the radio.

I'm speaking broadly of the music scene today. And by "bands are a thing of the past" I was saying that massively popular acts today are overwhelmingly solo artists. It's less about a group of people each contributing and rather about a single talent.

You're right especially now that electronic music is mainstream, most electronic music can easily be done by one person and EDM is being pushed hard since record sales are low in comparison to other decades and EDM is more dynamic than other types of music acts since DJs can mix songs on the spot to go with the flow of the audience. EDM is the perfect genre for events and clubs and it has the money to prove it. Producers are becoming more well known and being able to stand at the same table as singers and live performing musicians. Nowadays you can see a pop song not just saying it is by a pop singer but also by it's producers like David Guetta, DJ Snake, Major Lazer, Martin Garrix, Tiesto or Skrillex. Normally in the past a producer would be lucky to get a shout out during the song now producers are listed as a feat or the main artist. The most played song on spotify is Wake Me Up by Avicii and he is a solo artist. You rarely see more than 3 people in an EDM group.

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2018, 4:35 pm

The 18 to 54 age demographic of music can undervalued (at times unpopular).

LINK: The Hot (and Modern) Adult Contemporary includes music popular with previous generations of youth. Hence, the Adult Contemporary genres are partially shaped by the memories of older generations.

Some of 'The Beatles' music very much fits into Adult Contemporary genres.

LINK: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adult_con ... ntemporary

AprilR
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2018, 9:48 am

I really dislike the trend of bashing pop music in favor of 70s 80s music especially rock. And i say this as a fan of said 80s music.

grahambaster
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 May 2018, 8:44 am

In popular music the vocalist is given the limelight excluding the others who contribute. Unless the singer also composed and arranged the song they should be credited as "featuring (name)".

DocteurDEVO7
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

16 May 2018, 11:46 am

Quote:
A lot of Billy Joel's 1970's era lyrics are quite punk.

Cold Spring Harbor was hardcore punk, man. Tomorrow is Today was actually his suicide note when he attempted at around 20-ish.
My other unpopular opinion would have to be I hate new music. I think 99% of it is bad, horrible actually. Sorry :roll:

FoxesSchmoxes
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Dec 2020, 1:23 am

1. I don't like rap, metal, or EDM
2. The autotune/vocaloid whatever it's called sounds awful
3. Disco is awesome, just sayin' :lol:

"For what profit is a man if he gains the whole world but loses his soul?" Luke 9:23-26

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2020, 1:40 am

Playing to the grid sounds boring.
I'd rather hear a roughly produced 90s era demo that 'breathes' than most current metal.

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

PhosphorusDecree
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2020, 9:58 am

I have to admit, the great songs of my generation mean nothing to me. When I want to reconnect with my roots, I listen to an hour-long symphony by some dead Austrian or Russian.

maycontainthunder
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2020, 10:05 am

I can't sing, dance or play a musical instrument. Thank god for autotune enabling me to go straight to number one! :jester:

Udinaas
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2020, 11:56 am

funeralxempire wrote:
I'd rather hear a roughly produced 90s era demo that 'breathes' than most current metal.

For most extreme metal I prefer production that's raw and atmospheric but also loud and not muffled. Celtic Frost's Monotheist and Katatonia's Brave Murder Day are the best produced albums I've heard in this regard. I think cleaner production can still sound good if it's atmospheric (especially if it's being combined with other genres and the point isn't just to be brutal) and overproduced metal is less annoying to me than extreme lo-fi where the static is literally louder than the instruments. But overproduction can still annoy me a lot. I was very disappointed with the production on Magma compared to Gojira's previous albums and after hearing the live recordings of songs from that album I can't listen to the studio versions anymore.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2020, 12:13 pm

Udinaas wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

For most extreme metal I prefer production that's raw and atmospheric but also loud and not muffled. Celtic Frost's Monotheist and Katatonia's Brave Murder Day are the best produced albums I've heard in this regard. I think cleaner production can still sound good if it's atmospheric (especially if it's being combined with other genres and the point isn't just to be brutal) and overproduced metal is less annoying to me than extreme lo-fi where the static is literally louder than the instruments. But overproduction can still annoy me a lot. I was very disappointed with the production on Magma compared to Gojira's previous albums and after hearing the live recordings of songs from that album I can't listen to the studio versions anymore.

For what it's worth I'm not describing lo-fi vs. hi-fi production, or highly compressed production vs. more dynamic production (although those are also things I have strong opinions about). What I'm fixating on is basically a matter of how time is kept on a production.

If you listen to the Burzum album From The Depths of Darkness compared to the original recordings of those songs you'll see what I mean. The original recordings are far less consist in terms of bpm, he's playing 'in the pocket', but not to a metronome so sections subtly change tempo all the time.

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う