Page 4 of 6 [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

aja675
Toucan
Toucan

20 Sep 2016, 11:45 pm

aja675 wrote:
I think the problem here was their incapability to forget my past self. When I met these people, I was an attention-seeker who was really immature even for a 16 year old and with lots of unlikable traits, like Captain Obvious tendencies, talking like a child with that pouty voice that most people outgrow at 11-13, and acting flamboyant then somehow expecting people not to figure out that I was gay. Also, I had this tendency to let my motor mouth run too much, to the point that I occasionally said unintentionally mean things. I've realized that if you don't like someone's guts because they have actual flaws, don't get angry towards them, or you might traumatize them. Just calmly say what you think is wrong with them.

Next time, I'll try to not make "vulnerable" or "innocent" someone's first impression of me.

Ven_
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Sep 2016, 11:55 pm

Well, there's nothing to say that you have to be nice to them. Why not bring up some of their flaws in a brutal crushing criticism? Try it, it's fun.

aja675
Toucan
Toucan

20 Sep 2016, 11:59 pm

Ven_ wrote:
Well, there's nothing to say that you have to be nice to them. Why not bring up some of their flaws in a brutal crushing criticism? Try it, it's fun.

It's over now.

aja675
Toucan
Toucan

23 Sep 2016, 6:36 am

Ven_ wrote:

For one, they were really prone to picking fights over silly things.

DancingCorpse
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2016, 11:52 pm

I've been obsessed with my own flaws for several years and ironing them out and solving a few of them, some are entrenched within my character and I try to handle the fallout better.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2016, 11:54 pm

I know what my flaws are, but I try my best to avoid people so as not to bother anybody with them. it's the best I can do.

aja675
Toucan
Toucan

22 Oct 2016, 8:29 am

I find it ironic how one of these people laughed at me for using big words during our freshman and sophomore years and during senior year, laughed at me for being good at shallow things and bad at academics? God, when I was acting shallow, I was just imitating what your past self wanted out of me, dammit. #regretalwayscomeslast

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2018, 4:16 pm

tell the people obsessed with your flaws, to look in the mirror at themselves for once. from Mathew 7.4-5: “Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother’s eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? How can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ when all the time there is a plank in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother’s eye."

green0star
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2018, 4:43 pm

That's definitely the worse when you have people throwing your flaws in your face x_x

youcameandchanged
Raven
Raven

11 Sep 2018, 9:07 am

As the OP who made another account after an accidental ban, I have to say I'm still mentally scarred by all this. But not for the reasons you think. It's not even specifically the mean things I heard, but rather the realizing how much I hadn't addressed traumas that happened before this. Yes, I stopped moping about said traumas pretty quick, but at the cost of me knowing who I really was. I learned how to be fake because of people who came before the people I'm talking about in this thread, and they had me all figured out. Also, the toxic people from my early teens, unlike the toxic people from my late teens, they were more blatantly unstable. The people from my late teens, they gave off the vibe that they were a bunch of normal people who just so happened to be sick of my BS.

questor
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2018, 8:42 am

Yes, I've been fed a constant diet of criticism my entire life, by my family, teachers, school mates, and others I've had dealings with over the years. I am now in my late 50s, and still have to put up with this, but at least I do minimize contact where and when possible. I no longer live with relatives, but still have to have dealings with them. I keep it to a minimum, tho. They often criticise me over not calling/emailing them much, too. I never tell them that the reason why is their constant criticism. It would hurt their feelings, and then they would dump on me for "falsely" accusing them of criticism, when what they are doing is "advice" for my own good. BS! Because I limit contact, I am a lot less stressed now. In your case, if these are school mates, or neighbors, just avoid spending time with them. They aren't worth the effort, or the stress of spending time in their company.

kazanscube
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2018, 9:25 am

Yes, I've had people critical of me based on my flaws as a person be it socially or occupationally, either way I try to overlook it as much as possible. I mean, I don't go harping on other people's faults as such, so I find it absurd others finding fault in me where there is none. Just cause you tend to act/react in a different or unorthodox manner should not be given permission for people to treat another person or seeminly perceive someone in a cruel or negative manner.(sighs)

Ms.Berg
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2018, 5:11 pm

It came from different people, and out of very different reasons. From people who was close to me or people who was there to help me or people who didn`t have any business with me and just could have lived and let live. That made it very confusing I think.
Is it a flaw to admit I feel bitter? I have become afraid of having flaws or let them show. I don`t always see my self when I am trying to hide "wrong" thoughts and emotions. I am always afraid something will be used against me.

I can see today how I could have saved my self by leaving people and situations behind earlier. I didn`t see that back then. There are moment in my life I wish I could whisper into my younger self`s ear: "run!"

youcameandchanged
Raven
Raven

13 Sep 2018, 10:49 pm

youcameandchanged wrote:
As the OP who made another account after an accidental ban, I have to say I'm still mentally scarred by all this. But not for the reasons you think. It's not even specifically the mean things I heard, but rather the realizing how much I hadn't addressed traumas that happened before this. Yes, I stopped moping about said traumas pretty quick, but at the cost of me knowing who I really was. I learned how to be fake because of people who came before the people I'm talking about in this thread, and they had me all figured out. Also, the toxic people from my early teens, unlike the toxic people from my late teens, they were more blatantly unstable. The people from my late teens, they gave off the vibe that they were a bunch of normal people who just so happened to be sick of my BS.

You see, these people still make me want to recite the spoken monologue in the beginning of Never Ever by All Saints. It was all hurtful because of the grains of truth in what they said. I would have deserved being shouted at in moderation, but the problem here was that they kept me in a loop. And BTW, here's what I want to say. In my early teens, before this all happened and when I was studying in a bunch of crap and ghetto schools, people mistreated me a lot, and I held on to that entire "It Gets Better" thingy, and that's why I was surprisingly happy and optimistic for somebody with such a crap life. That isn't inherently a bad message, but I interpreted it as "OMG, your life is gonna change without even improving yourself." But it didn't. I didn't improve myself all that much, I still had issues with anger and attention-seeking. That's why people laughed at me, not because of jealousy or whatever.

stevens2010
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 Sep 2018, 11:48 pm

The sad thing is that, however many flaws that you've painstakingly inventoried in yourself, your detractors always can make more by turning those accomplishments you're most proud of into new "flaws." This is called "gaslighting."

youcameandchanged
Raven
Raven

13 Sep 2018, 11:58 pm

I'm just being honest about myself, OK? I was always going to get into trouble someday because of my anger.