Should it be considered acceptable for men to carry purses?

Page 5 of 5 [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

NewTime
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2016, 4:56 pm

Catlover5 wrote:
I think it should be obvious to people that any male who carries a purse is gay. It's such an obvious indication. People should know that carrying, touching, being near, looking at or thinking about a purse causes a man to fall out of love with and want to divorce his wife and marry another man within a millisecond.

If that's true then why aren't all those guys in those movie theaters going gay? They get so close to so many purses. They often will be sitting right next to a woman that has one.

Edenthiel
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2016, 5:36 pm

NewTime wrote:
Catlover5 wrote:
I think it should be obvious to people that any male who carries a purse is gay. It's such an obvious indication. People should know that carrying, touching, being near, looking at or thinking about a purse causes a man to fall out of love with and want to divorce his wife and marry another man within a millisecond.

If that's true then why aren't all those guys in those movie theaters going gay? They get so close to so many purses. They often will be sitting right next to a woman that has one.

But they'll do everything they can to not actually *touch* the purse. Ever ask a guy to hold a purse for a moment? It's like it held plutonium or something - it must be held at arms length, preferably on the flat palm of a hand. Because that is the international sign for, "this isn't mine, I am just holding it for someone else, who it belongs to, because it doesn't belong to me...NOT MINE!". So I figure it only counts if someone sees it.

Think of it as Schrodinger's Orientation.

Lace-Bane
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2016, 5:42 pm

I don't think there is anything wrong with a man choosing to keep a purse on him(I don't consider messenger bags, computer bags, backpacks, or briefcases to be purses though), but I am aware that it would be a choice that would gain him ridicule by current social standards. However, my current understanding is that women typically keep a purse on them due to a lack of practical function in the design of female clothing, not so much so that it's always that they have so much more to carry about than men. I've heard that a lot of female clothing items don't have pockets, have fake pockets(like a pocket fold with a button and stitches that allude to their being a pocket), or simply don't have functional full sized ones that anything much could really fit in. That, and that while there may be certain articles of clothing with functional pockets, finding that piece of clothing in the proper shape/size may often not be an option unless they can have it altered or make it themselves.

I'm able to keep a thin wallet in my left pocket, my cell phone in the right, and my keys clasped to my belt buckle(I habitually keep the buckle left off center... prevents gouging the backs of right handed guitars.) which dangle into my left pocket. There's more than enough space for those items, so much so that I also have place to store my large hands if I wish.

If I need more space, for a computer or something, I've got a small and a medium sized travel backpack in my closet that haven't ever gotten me any strange responses from strangers in public. Realistically though, I've only found it annoying to go places with them because they force interactions of having them get checked, and some stores make you leave them in the front for obvious and forgivable reasons, but it's still an interaction of inconvenience that I would rather avoid if I didn't have need for one, which I most often don't.