Should it be considered acceptable for men to carry purses?

Page 2 of 5 [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2016, 10:09 pm

I've never heard the term--until I saw you write it.

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2016, 10:10 pm

Aunt Blabby knows about it too. A "murse" is a male purse. I think you should now call your knapsack a "murse". :)

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 83 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 153 of 200 You are very likely neurotypical
Darn, I flunked.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2016, 10:18 pm

It doesn't come out of my mouth easily (maybe because of a little dyspraxia?)

I'll stick to knapsack :D

NewTime
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2016, 10:26 pm

nurseangela wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Yigeren wrote:
I think men should carry bags. ...
No one is going to make it mandatory for a man to carry a purse; especially as long as trousers have pockets and backpacks/rucksacks are still acceptable.

A man needs only a wallet, a ring of keys, eyeglasses and maybe a comb and cell phone - pocket items.

Men do not need to carry those things normally found in a woman's purse, such as:

- checkbook
- spare reading glasses
- sunglasses
- candies
- deodorant
- hand lotion
- hand sanitizer
- handkerchief
- hairbrush
- hair clip
- scrunchies
- lip balm
- medicines
- sunscreen
- nail clipper
- face powder
- lipstick
- mascara
- tissues
- calendar / date book
- breath mints
- various items related to feminine hygiene

I always wondered about that - aren't there any single guys that have checkbooks?

I didn't know guys didn't have checkbooks. Wow. And guys don't ever carry medicine with them? No sunscreen? Isn't it important to protect the skin?

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2016, 10:31 pm

NewTime wrote:
nurseangela wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Yigeren wrote:
I think men should carry bags. ...
No one is going to make it mandatory for a man to carry a purse; especially as long as trousers have pockets and backpacks/rucksacks are still acceptable.

A man needs only a wallet, a ring of keys, eyeglasses and maybe a comb and cell phone - pocket items.

Men do not need to carry those things normally found in a woman's purse, such as:

- checkbook
- spare reading glasses
- sunglasses
- candies
- deodorant
- hand lotion
- hand sanitizer
- handkerchief
- hairbrush
- hair clip
- scrunchies
- lip balm
- medicines
- sunscreen
- nail clipper
- face powder
- lipstick
- mascara
- tissues
- calendar / date book
- breath mints
- various items related to feminine hygiene

I always wondered about that - aren't there any single guys that have checkbooks?

I didn't know guys didn't have checkbooks. Wow. And guys don't ever carry medicine with them? No sunscreen? Isn't it important to protect the skin?

I don't carry sunscreen because it's usually night when I'm out (or early morning), but I sure do carry otc meds for headaches and such. I don't know how men survive. 8O

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 153 of 200 You are very likely neurotypical
Darn, I flunked.

Feyokien
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2016, 10:34 pm

nurseangela wrote:

I have a checkbook locked away somewhere. Maybe used it 5 times in my life. Fits easily in my pocket. Only things I ever carry around on a regular basis are:

-Keys
-Wallet
-Phone

and very rarely a comb.

When in school on the other hand, I'd carry around my shoulder strap computer bag a lot with or without my computer. It's like a very specialized evolved purse/satchel I guess. Like an Aye Ayes grub finger :P

Feyokien
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2016, 10:37 pm

NewTime wrote:

"Guys" are supposed to be darker skinned than their female compatriots. It's a well documented thing in advertising beyond the blatantly obvious phrase: tall, dark, and handsome.

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2016, 10:40 pm

Feyokien wrote:
NewTime wrote:

"Guys" are supposed to be darker skinned than their female compatriot. It's a well documented thing in advertising beyond the blatantly obvious phrase: tall, dark, and handsome.

Dark, sure, but not sunburned - that's red.

Darn, I flunked.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2016, 10:43 pm

I feel that it should be. I feel that members of both genders should be able to do whatever they wish, without a care in 2016.

Austinfrom1995
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2016, 10:58 pm

NewTime wrote:
Purses are a convenient way of carrying extra stuff. Why should men not be allowed to carry them? What's so wrong with a man carrying a bag?

I don't carry a purse, but I don't see why it can cause any problems if a man did carry one.

Feyokien
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2016, 11:04 pm

That line of conversation is off topic though, not whether there is a necessity for men to carry purses/satchels/bags or whatever, but if it is acceptable.

Obvious answer: yes

Next

Austinfrom1995
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2016, 11:09 pm

Feyokien wrote:
That line of conversation is off topic though, not whether there is a necessity for men to carry purses/satchels/bags or whatever, but if it is acceptable.

Obvious answer: yes

Next

Are you referring to my line of dialogue?

Edenthiel
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2016, 11:17 pm

Feyokien wrote:
When in school on the other hand, I'd carry around my shoulder strap computer bag a lot with or without my computer.

Everywhere I've worked countless male techies somehow end up using their computer bags for just about everything someone would use a purse for. Carried them around with them everywhere, too. Often without a computer because, "all my stuff is in there".

Also, apart from the side of the aisle they are purchased from, there are a lot of "mens" computer bags, briefcases and the like that...well, they just don't look so different from a purse.

From http://www.ferragamo.com/shop/en/usa/me ... iefcases-1 :
($1,300 "mens" computer bag)

USD 1,200
"Tote with a top zip closure, interior zip pocket, key clip, leather wrapped handles and a reinforced base in printed calfskin."

And if you don't have a laptop computer or don't want to spend $1000 on a purse, well maybe a messenger bag is for you:
"Leather Messenger Bag for Men, Green Turquoise Leather - $69.00"

...my point is that whether or not it "should" be considered acceptable from any certain viewpoint for men to carry a purse - it already is.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2016, 7:20 am

All of my backpacks and computer satchels are black. Even my tool chest and test equipment are black.

Turquoise bags look like toys, and give me the impression that the owner is not a serious professional.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2016, 9:39 am

Messenger/courier satchels are where it's at.

Canvas.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2016, 9:48 am

NewTime wrote:
I keep my checkbook locked away at home, and use it only for major purchases that require a printed record. I take my meds in the morning and evening, and simply "deal with" ordinary pain like headaches and cramps during the day. Wide hats and long sleeves work well enough, and because most men work for a living, their sweat would wash away sunscreen anyway.

Wallet, keys, comb, glasses. Four items. Four pockets. It works out nicely.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.