Should it be considered acceptable for men to carry purses?

Page 3 of 5 [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

traven
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2016, 11:01 am

Quote:
I wouldn't be caught dead carrying a woman's handbag

me neither :D :D

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2016, 12:14 pm

I always use hands-free shoulder-strap purses. I can't understand how other women can carry around purses that they always have to hold with one hand. Especially when you've just bought some stuff and have to lug that around, too. And I don't always carry typical women stuff in my purse. Sometimes I put my 3DS in there. It has to be large enough to hold such things, like my winter hat and gloves.

I don't get it, why is it that if something is the least bit functional then it's not fashionable or attractive? I'm sure my purse looks just as stylish as any other. And it's black, which goes with everything.

Catlover5
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2016, 12:31 pm

What's good for the goose is good for the gander.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2016, 12:36 pm

It already is--in China!

http://articles.latimes.com/2011/feb/07 ... e-20110207

Men represent 45% of the $1.2-billion market for all luxury handbags in China, according to Victor Luis, president of Coach Retail International. That figure is just 7% in the U.S.

Edenthiel
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2016, 1:26 pm

Fnord wrote:
...because most men work for a living

(Pardon me; you seem to have a bit of misogyny showing.)

goofygoobers
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2016, 1:41 pm

I don't see anything wrong with a guy carrying a bag. Sometimes you can't fit everything in pockets.

AsahiPto17
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Mar 2016, 2:10 pm

Dillogic wrote:
Messenger/courier satchels are where it's at.

Canvas.

If I needed to carry a bag I would use something like that. I have thought about getting one to carry camera stuff in for when I don't want to lug around my massive camera bag/backpack thing. I used to have a little backback thing that I liked a lot, I just brought random things around with me that I couldn't fit in my pockets. ...it was later stolen along with a camera inside :/

Edenthiel
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2016, 3:33 pm

traven wrote:
Quote:

When I hear or see people say things like this, I wonder if they realize the underpinnings of the social custom they're following and promoting (perhaps blindly or not-intentionally). Why would it be terrible - so much so that death would be better - for a man to be seen as having a single attribute in common with women *unless* you believe that men are inherently better than women?

Riik
Toucan
Toucan

10 Mar 2016, 3:39 pm

It should be acceptable for people to carry/wear/use whatever they want (within lawful reason... e.g. carrying guns around is bad). I don't see why men can't wear dresses or women can't go around topless or whatever. Society is so full of these pointless views of what's right and wrong that amount to, what? WHY is it wrong for a man to wear lipstick? It doesn't hurt anyone.

A life without tea is a life not worth living.
Latest Aspie Quiz: AS - 151, NT - 38 / RAADS-R: 195 / AQ: 38

progaspie
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2016, 4:07 pm

goofygoobers wrote:
I don't see anything wrong with a guy carrying a bag. Sometimes you can't fit everything in pockets.

I now carry one of two nice leather bags wherever I go now, for the simple reason that my mobile phone is too large to fit in my pocket. Also for health reasons related to radiation, mobile phones shouldn't be kept in pockets. Only problem I have is losing my bag at cafes and restaurants when I leave.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

10 Mar 2016, 5:29 pm

I have some small store cards that I put on my keychain. I put my keys in my left pocket. I also put my change purse in my left pocket. I put my wallet in my right pocket. I put my phone in a case that I clip on to my belt on the right side or shorts when I'm wearing those instead of pants. I put my meds & supplements I take for one meal all in one bottle that I put in my left pocket when I'll be eating out.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

AsahiPto17
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Mar 2016, 6:28 pm

Riik wrote:
It should be acceptable for people to carry/wear/use whatever they want (within lawful reason... e.g. carrying guns around is bad). I don't see why men can't wear dresses or women can't go around topless or whatever. Society is so full of these pointless views of what's right and wrong that amount to, what? WHY is it wrong for a man to wear lipstick? It doesn't hurt anyone.

Society is full of very strange rules that make no sense from a detached POV... I really wish there weren't so many little things like that everywhere, all of these things you're expected to do or not do, and if you don't follow along you stick out. I even feel like people think me having long hair makes some people think I'm strange sometimes.

Riik
Toucan
Toucan

10 Mar 2016, 6:40 pm

AsahiPto17 wrote:
Riik wrote:

Society is full of very strange rules that make no sense from a detached POV... I really wish there weren't so many little things like that everywhere, all of these things you're expected to do or not do, and if you don't follow along you stick out. I even feel like people think me having long hair makes some people think I'm strange sometimes.

I tend to dress quite flamboyantly when I go out (no lipstick or dresses though, even though my previous post might have suggested that XD). Where I live, any slightly interesting outfit gets attention, and my rather gothic clothing is about as crazy as I've ever seen anyone wear in person (discounting guys walking around in animal onesies, as that's apparently acceptable, although I don't know why that is yet some other outfits aren't). Also, I've actually been mistaken for a girl from behind because of my long hair (I hate razors though so I 'shave' with scissors and thus from the front, the light stubble might dispel that illusion XD).

A life without tea is a life not worth living.
Latest Aspie Quiz: AS - 151, NT - 38 / RAADS-R: 195 / AQ: 38

selflessness
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Mar 2016, 6:43 pm

Men have to use a backpack or a briefcase... In fact there was a guy at my school who used a briefcase and would hold it over his shoulder as to not strain his arm too much...

I always use my trusty Puma backpack. Cheap, light, plenty of space. I'm a practical person. Aesthetics come second for me. It frustrates me when people compromise on either for little reason though. Yeah a briefcase looks nicer but your arms start to hurt after a while. Backpacks are usually cheaper and just better. Oh well.

Edenthiel
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2016, 9:03 pm

progaspie wrote:
goofygoobers wrote:

I now carry one of two nice leather bags wherever I go now, for the simple reason that my mobile phone is too large to fit in my pocket. Also for health reasons related to radiation, mobile phones shouldn't be kept in pockets. Only problem I have is losing my bag at cafes and restaurants when I leave.

I used to have to carry a computer travel bag for work when I traveled. It became a habit in restaurants, airports and the like to simply put my foot through the shoulder strap whenever I sat down and put the bag on the ground. Maybe something like that would work for you?

Then again, even now I keep my phone in a camera case that fits it and has a belt loop. The belt loop has a carabiner that I clip my keyring(s) to. And then when I get to work, I clip my phone to my laptop case. And so on, throughout my day. Sounds goofy, but I haven't lost a phone since I started doing it.

traven
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2016, 6:15 am

Edenthiel wrote:
traven wrote:
Quote:

When I hear or see people say things like this, I wonder if they realize the underpinnings of the social custom they're following and promoting (perhaps blindly or not-intentionally). Why would it be terrible - so much so that death would be better - for a man to be seen as having a single attribute in common with women *unless* you believe that men are inherently better than women?

I'm not a man 8)
I don't rather die, I don't want a purse upon me, even not when dead!