Page 4 of 4 [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2017, 8:17 am

soloha wrote:
Chichikov wrote:
Given that the symptoms of autism include lack of social reciprocity, lack of wanting to point things out or instigate the expression of emotions, I'd say that getting excited is not an autistic trait at all. Not saying autistic people don't ever get excited, but if you are generally "excitable" then I'd say it is nothing to do with autism, that it's quite an NT trait.

I don't think getting excited has anything to do with social reciprocity. According to everything I have read and my personal experience, people with autism feel every bit is much, or more, as NT's do. The problem is with expressing those feelings in a socially appropriate way... not with feeling them. Responding appropriately to the way other people express themselves is also problematic. Tony Attwood talks about how many autistic adults have the social development of a 10 year old. Given how, in some ways, I often feel and act like a 10 year old, that seems reasonable to me. Sliding around the floor in your socks isn't exactly socially appropriate adult like behavior. I do it in public too on just about any slippery surface if the mood strikes me. Definitely socially inappropriate. I'm proud of my childlike qualities. Unlike many NTs my age, I'm still full of wonder at the world and get excited over small things the way children do. Also, based on what I read the whole not wanting to share things is a developmental milestone that applies to young children. I believe that comes later for people with autism. Of course I'm sure that's effected by where they are on the spectrum.

My impression is that autistic people show emotions in a more genuine way. Neurotypical people display emotions they aren't truly feeling in order to fulfill social rituals. I much prefer to be around people who might be considered "childish". My wife is this way. She is not afraid to be silly and doesn't really care if it is not considered socially acceptable. It puts me at ease. She is so forthright I have no need to feel like I have to "act" around her. It's truly a blessing.

I generally need some level of excitement in my life just to stay motivated. Having nothing that excites at all is associated with being mentally exhausted or depressed. Stoicism has never really worked for me. If there is nothing for me to "get into", life starts to feel pretty damn pointless. I don't understand people who just seem to coast through life without really feeling any emotion. I'm never really happy being "neutral". I have to be able to do something that gives me some pleasure or I else I just start thinking about how pointless things are.

248RPA
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2017, 11:21 am

When I was little, I thought other kids were exaggerating when they jump up and down and scream "YESSS!" when they get excited. Turns out, I was the one not feeling excitement as strongly, so for a brief time, I tried to force myself to appear more excited. But then I didn't bother anymore.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2017, 5:01 pm

when I learn of the existence of an affordable and effective semi-automated single-ended source subtraction software program, i'll be excited alright :jester: