Page 2 of 4 [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Chichikov
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2017, 1:51 pm

BirdInFlight wrote:
I think it's insulting to accuse people who experience something as "not autistic."

What do you think it is when someone paraphrases someone to remove the actual meaning of the original statement to make them "look bad" and to try and turn people's opinion against that person rather than interacting directly with that person if they have an issue with what they said?

peregrina
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

04 Sep 2017, 10:45 pm

I get excited over certain things and will be child-like. That only happens in my own private space never in public.
Most of the time, I am quiet and sober. I don't show emotions.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2017, 6:43 am

I get excited watching my favorite tennis players. The possibility of a Nadal-Federer semifinal excites me!

whatamievendoing
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2017, 7:47 am

Not really. I do still get somewhat excited about some things (not including my B-day), but I rarely show it outward anymore.

EverythingAndNothing
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Sep 2017, 8:03 am

BirdInFlight wrote:
I get excited about things that are important to me, and sometime to a point where it "hurts" and I don't know what to do with the feeling. I got that a lot as a child, it was almost painful to be so excited about something that I was bursting.

I can relate to this. When I was younger, I would get so excited about things that I'd start throwing up. My body couldn't handle it. As an adult, I still get overly excited about little things, especially those related to my special interests. I start skipping and jumping up and down whenever the subjects are brought up.

peregrina wrote:
I get excited over certain things and will be child-like. That only happens in my own private space never in public.
Most of the time, I am quiet and sober. I don't show emotions.

I can also relate to this. If I'm around other people, I tend to not emote at all. The only time I show such obvious excitement is by myself or with my partner.

Voxish
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Sep 2017, 8:42 am

I am now, I can hardly sit down. It feels like my body is full of electricity. I just came back from a job interview, a job I really want with a ig autism charity. Autism is my special interest so I got to talk about it for over an hour. They told me that they really enjoyed the interview so I am guesing I made an impression. I am now as high as a kite. I would like to come down soon as when I get over stimuated like this I might not be able to sleep, and if I can't sleep it make me feel ill really quickly. I would prefer to be calm all the time, I almost never am.

BBC: Radio 4

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2017, 8:46 am

I get so excited and nervous when Rafael Nadal plays that I could almost faint at times. I notice how excited he is to be out there on court and it's contagious.

Voxish
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Sep 2017, 9:02 am

IstominFan wrote:
I get so excited and nervous when Rafael Nadal plays that I could almost faint at times. I notice how excited he is to be out there on court and it's contagious.

God I know how you feel. I used to be like that when England play Rugby, it takes me the rest of the evening to come down again afterwards. It got to a point when I thoought I should give up watching it.

BBC: Radio 4

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2017, 11:04 pm

i dont think its Exclusivly an autistic 'thing'

do i experience this?

abso-fucking-lutely.

Once i saw a hedgehog unexpedidly on my nieces cartoon and started screaming and crying because i was so overjoyed.

Sonic things are VERY VERY rare in my area, and when i see something sonic related, lets just say the people im with get embarrassed and tell me to calm down.

DA: http://mephilesdark123.deviantart.com

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2017, 3:58 pm

I can get very excited when it comes to things I really like or look forward to. It's one of the best feelings in the world and I'm glad I haven't lost the ability to get excited.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

soloha
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Sep 2017, 5:17 pm

Totally relate to this! I'm 43 and I still slide around the house in my socks and get really excited over stuff too. I get smiles from adults around me. In small doses they usually find it endearing.

soloha
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Sep 2017, 5:32 pm

Chichikov wrote:
Given that the symptoms of autism include lack of social reciprocity, lack of wanting to point things out or instigate the expression of emotions, I'd say that getting excited is not an autistic trait at all. Not saying autistic people don't ever get excited, but if you are generally "excitable" then I'd say it is nothing to do with autism, that it's quite an NT trait.

I don't think getting excited has anything to do with social reciprocity. According to everything I have read and my personal experience, people with autism feel every bit is much, or more, as NT's do. The problem is with expressing those feelings in a socially appropriate way... not with feeling them. Responding appropriately to the way other people express themselves is also problematic. Tony Attwood talks about how many autistic adults have the social development of a 10 year old. Given how, in some ways, I often feel and act like a 10 year old, that seems reasonable to me. Sliding around the floor in your socks isn't exactly socially appropriate adult like behavior. I do it in public too on just about any slippery surface if the mood strikes me. Definitely socially inappropriate. I'm proud of my childlike qualities. Unlike many NTs my age, I'm still full of wonder at the world and get excited over small things the way children do. Also, based on what I read the whole not wanting to share things is a developmental milestone that applies to young children. I believe that comes later for people with autism. Of course I'm sure that's effected by where they are on the spectrum.

Last edited by soloha on 06 Sep 2017, 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chichikov
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2017, 6:38 pm

There isn't a delayed milestone of social reciprocity with autism, it is a permanent thing, also being child like is not a diagnostic requirement and your argument appears to be (correct me if I'm wrong) that being excited is a child like thing and autistic people are child like.

soloha
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Sep 2017, 7:06 pm

Chichikov wrote:
There isn't a delayed milestone of social reciprocity with autism, it is a permanent thing, also being child like is not a diagnostic requirement and your argument appears to be (correct me if I'm wrong) that being excited is a child like thing and autistic people are child like.

No, I specifically said the desire to share things, not social reciprocity, is a developmental milestone. I suppose you could infer that I was saying autistic people are childlike but that is not the argument I was intending to make. All of the literature I have read, and my personal experience, says that autistic people do not entirely lack social ability… their social ability is impaired. It often lags, by at least several years, depending on where they are on the spectrum, behind their typical peers; i.e, that their social development was more like a child's. I did say, however, that I was child like :)

CharityGoodyGrace
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2017, 7:32 pm

I get very gleeful and excited about things, and I don't think it's an autistic trait, though it could be due to autistics having obsessions we are very enthusiastic about. There's also the neurotypicals-getting-excited factor. And the bipolar factor. And other factors.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2017, 7:56 pm

Unless I'm going through a miserable phase, I can get excited about some apparently trivial things. It's rare that anybody's shared my specific enthusiasms, because my interests tend to be off the beaten track. I'm also often completely unmoved by the things that seem to excite hordes of other people. I don't care about Duchess what's-her-name's new baby, and few people cares about my new discovery - efficiently spreading olive oil onto bread (as a substitute for margarine and butter) using a pastry brush.

I see a strong element of childlikeness in my enthusiasm, and I see it as a strength, it helps me to stay reasonably happy. Not that I get very excited on the outside like a child does. That could get annoying.

Whether or not it's down to my autism, I can't be sure right now. If I had to guess, I'd say it was at least partly that. I think I've seen it in other ASDers.