Page 1 of 4 [ 51 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Feyokien
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2016, 12:26 am

I can imagine the all of the horrified parents at PTA meetings now. :twisted:

Judge Dredd would be much more effective advocate for lawfulness than the D.A.R.E. Lion

Nachtkrieger822
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Mar 2016, 5:07 am

AuroraBorealisGazer wrote:
^ Let that be a lesson to my physics professor; If you want to get me excited about doing physics problems, make it about sock sliding, explosions, or the terminal velocity of Hans Gruber.

This made me laugh a little more than it probably should have ^

To the OP, I also get overly excited about events or items that most NT's would view as nothing more than mildly invigorating in the course of a normal day. Here's a good example, recently I had a package come in the mail not to long ago and when the delivery driver knocked on the door I ran out of my room so fast I nearly knocked my roommate into the next room over because they had the misfortune to be walking in the hallway when I was on a mission to get my $10 package. Somewhat humorous in hindsight now that I'm actually typing it out.

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 153 of 200 - Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 72 of 200
Officially ASD Level 1 - No Intellectual/Language Impairment, Unofficially I say I'm an Aspie

Seid ihr das essen? Nein, wir sind die Jäger

Tiankay
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

Location: 3rd Street on the right, just after the event horizon...

19 Jun 2016, 9:24 pm

Well, yes. Not in recent times because there really wasnt anything to get excited about lately but i can get really excited about things. Like when the mailman arrives and im waiting on a delivery, i run to the door like the devil was after me, *keep calm, sign there", go back inside, jump around and then i shred it open like its christmas :D Or that last time we went to amsterdam (I love this city) i was just spinning around arms wide out like a movie clichee. I have to pet every cat i see. Doesnt matter where i wanted to go, if theres a random cat on the street you know where i am heading now. Havent done the sock sliding for a long time tho, damn carpets everywhere. But wait for the winter, ice/snow sliding is allways a good substitute for that. Spinning around on the office chair, dancing around to music with no particular dancing skills AT ALL, or my favourite - The air guitar. Its all inclusive :D

I dont intend on changing these things though. Some people may say they are childish, but they are also very fun. I like this trait of me, and if having fun means to be childish, well then i am childish. Who cares? :jester:

Peace
TK

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2016, 11:57 pm

I got excited when another WP user let me hear his subwoofer that he customized :dj: that thing shakes the house! :o

mikeman7918
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2016, 12:30 am

Yep, I do that a lot. Just a few minutes ago when I was playing Super Mario World (Yes, the old SNES game; I have been messing with emulators lately because I have accidentally started obsessing over Mario) and I got super excited whenever I beat a level, which usually involves me waving my hands around (sometimes as fists) in such a way that it looks like I just walked into a spider web.

I also get excited when I see a cool picture of planets or rockets (space travel being my special interest). In my opinion the most majestic thing possible is a rocket sitting on a launch pad, especially if that rocket is a Saturn V. Kind of like this:

I just got distracted staring at that image for about 5 minutes...

EDIT: That image is now my desktop background.

Diagnosed with Asperger's, ADD, and Generalized Anxiety Disorder in 2004.
In denial that it was a problem until early 2016.

Deviant Art

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2016, 12:38 am

^^^what a lovely orange sunset/evening glow. :star:

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2016, 1:02 am

Tiankay wrote:
Well, yes. Not in recent times because there really wasnt anything to get excited about lately but i can get really excited about things. Like when the mailman arrives and im waiting on a delivery, i run to the door like the devil was after me, *keep calm, sign there", go back inside, jump around and then i shred it open like its christmas :D

I can relate to that part. I have some parcels on the way, and I am very excited about their content. :D

Tiankay wrote:
I dont intend on changing these things though. Some people may say they are childish, but they are also very fun. I like this trait of me, and if having fun means to be childish, well then i am childish. Who cares? :jester:
I couldn't agree more. I love being able to feel bubbly excitement the way I do.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

underwater
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2016, 3:06 am

It's one of the best bits of life. I don't know many people who get as excited as me over a pretty cake or music.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2016, 3:11 am

I was excited at hearing a 16 cycle per second tone reproduced at full volume :bounce:

Chichikov
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2016, 5:36 am

Given that the symptoms of autism include lack of social reciprocity, lack of wanting to point things out or instigate the expression of emotions, I'd say that getting excited is not an autistic trait at all. Not saying autistic people don't ever get excited, but if you are generally "excitable" then I'd say it is nothing to do with autism, that it's quite an NT trait.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2016, 6:16 am

no i have never experienced any deviation from an emotional flat line that would amount to a description of "excited".
whether it be positively excited or negatively so.
people who experience euphoria pity me, and people who experience desolate despair envy me. but i have no interest in any of their attitudes to me.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2017, 11:23 am

Chichikov wrote:
Given that the symptoms of autism include lack of social reciprocity, lack of wanting to point things out or instigate the expression of emotions, I'd say that getting excited is not an autistic trait at all. Not saying autistic people don't ever get excited, but if you are generally "excitable" then I'd say it is nothing to do with autism, that it's quite an NT trait.

I don't see what social reciprocity has to do with with being excitable. Introverts get excited too. They just don't get excited by social interaction. They get excited by activities and intellectual pursuits.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2017, 11:39 am

I get excited about my special interests.

Getting excited does seem contrary to Autistic black and white logical thinking. But as similar to a lot of false judgments of people as not autistic, autistics tend towered black and white and logical thinking and often trend that way a lot. That does not mean they think in "gray" terms and never have emotions such as excitement. Emotions are there but may be harder to trigger or be delayed or be expressed in atypical ways.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2017, 11:46 am

I get excited about things that are important to me, and sometime to a point where it "hurts" and I don't know what to do with the feeling. I got that a lot as a child, it was almost painful to be so excited about something that I was bursting.

I think it's insulting to accuse people who experience something as "not autistic."

On the contrary, one might even say that excitement can be a form of overload/overstimulation.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2017, 11:53 am

I can't always put a work to an emotion but I do believe I get excited over certain things and it doesn't feel very good. But that might not be excitement, it could be nerves.

I'd just rather stay all in one level personally.

Chichikov
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2017, 1:51 pm

BirdInFlight wrote:
I think it's insulting to accuse people who experience something as "not autistic."

What do you think it is when someone paraphrases someone to remove the actual meaning of the original statement to make them "look bad" and to try and turn people's opinion against that person rather than interacting directly with that person if they have an issue with what they said?