Page 1 of 3 [ 48 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Feyokien
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2016, 6:33 pm

nurseangela wrote:
Kansas has been in the red since 1968. Republican all the way!

Why? Completely off topic.

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2016, 6:36 pm

Feyokien wrote:
^ Heh nice

Fugu wrote:
Feyokien wrote:
I know exactly what I'm saying. My logic is actually sound. Here's why:

Description of Confusing Cause and Effect

Confusing Cause and Effect is a fallacy that has the following general form:

A and B regularly occur together.
Therefore A is the cause of B.
This fallacy requires that there is not, in fact, a common cause that actually causes both A and B.

Now let me break it down for you :roll:

Civil war map and Election Maps line up
Common cause of both maps looking the way they do: the native cultures of the regions influence both

Go argue for the sake of arguing somewhere else.
you're claiming that the confederacy membership (A) correlates with the democratic election(B), completely ignoring the history between the two events(like voter migration and the Southern Strategy), and also the fact that the republican election also correlates with A. just because they correlate with each other does not imply a causal link, ergo what you're arguing is a fallacy.

No I'm arguing southern culture tends to default towards conservatism, which it does. Hilary is the more conservative candidate so it makes sense she won the south. Southern strategy has nothing to do with this either, why are you enlarging the argument? I'm talking about democrats not republicans. Do you even read what I say? Stop making me your straw man.

You can't get rid of him now - the fish is attached to you like glue. I think he needs to be flushed down the toilet. :D

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 83 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 153 of 200 You are very likely neurotypical
Darn, I flunked.

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2016, 6:39 pm

Feyokien wrote:
nurseangela wrote:

The second map shows Kansas as green with Sanders. Kansas is never going to be for Sanders.
What's the point of this thread?

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 153 of 200 You are very likely neurotypical
Darn, I flunked.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2016, 6:39 pm

Feyokien wrote:
nurseangela wrote:

Kansas is the buckle of the Bible Belt (south and prairie midwest) - southernmost part of the Prarie midwest. Just above Oklahoma (the northwestern most state in the south). So you would expect Kansas to be GOP.

Feyokien
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2016, 6:42 pm

^
^ Yeah I think it has something to do with being from Texas. I never mentioned political parties representing sides in the civil war but that seems to be where this is going -_-. I was talking about how people currently voting in the Democratic primaries tend to be voting based on their cultural heritage. That's the point of the thread. Nothing to do with republicans or the general election. Just the Democratic Primaries, which I'm vested.

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2016, 6:44 pm

Oh. My head is stuck in what's currently going on. I'll mosey on along cause I don't know much on this topic.

Darn, I flunked.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2016, 6:44 pm

I'll have to research this--but I believe some counties in Tennessee were Union, others were Confederate.

Fugu
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2016, 6:48 pm

Feyokien wrote:
Fugu wrote:
you're claiming that the confederacy membership (A) correlates with the democratic election(B), completely ignoring the history between the two events(like voter migration and the Southern Strategy), and also the fact that the republican election also correlates with A. just because they correlate with each other does not imply a causal link, ergo what you're arguing is a fallacy.

No I'm arguing southern culture tends to default towards conservatism, which it does. Hilary is the more conservative candidate so it makes sense she won the south. Southern strategy has nothing to do with this either, why are you enlarging the argument? I'm talking about democrats not republicans. Do you even read what I say? Stop making me your straw man.
it's not a strawman when you're arguing that there's a correlation between confederacy membership and voting democrat, and I only posted the republican image to point out how weak said correlation was.

Last edited by Fugu on 11 Mar 2016, 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fugu
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2016, 6:49 pm

Feyokien wrote:
^
^ Yeah I think it has something to do with being from Texas. I never mentioned political parties representing sides in the civil war but that seems to be where this is going -_-. I was talking about how people currently voting in the Democratic primaries tend to be voting based on their cultural heritage. That's the point of the thread. Nothing to do with republicans or the general election. Just the Democratic Primaries, which I'm vested.
you posted all of 3 sentences and as many images. Noone here is psychic.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2016, 6:50 pm

nurseangela wrote:
Feyokien wrote:
nurseangela wrote:

The second map shows Kansas as green with Sanders. Kansas is never going to be for Sanders.
What's the point of this thread?

That IS a good question. What was the OP's point?

His map shows voters WITHIN the Democratic party (not ALL voters). There are probably only a couple hundred Democrats in all of Kansas. But who know? Most of that tiny number might well be for Sanders! Lol!

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2016, 6:53 pm

Okay, I researched this. Tennessee was fully a Confederate State.

However, 26 counties in East Tennessee attempted to secede from the rest of Tennessee and become part of the Union. As a result, those counties were occupied by the Confederate government for the duration of the Civil War.

In essence, those 26 counties considered themselves Union; the Confederate government considered them Confederate.

In practical, objective terms, they were part of the Confederency--but were an occupied people, so to speak.

Feyokien
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2016, 6:57 pm

Fugu wrote:
Feyokien wrote:
Fugu wrote:

it's not a strawman when you're arguing that there's a correlation between confederacy membership and voting democrat, and I only posted the republican image to point out how weak said correlation was.

WHY DO YOU KEEP BRING UP PARTIES. Have I gone insane? Nowhere did I state that voting democrat and confederate membership had a correlation. You just confirmed my thoughts on Dallas thing by saying that. Conservative doesn't equal Republican. Conservative equals Traditional. Democrats are capable of being traditional. Is that what you're thinking?

Fugu
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2016, 7:03 pm

Feyokien wrote:
Nowhere did I state that voting democrat and confederate membership had a correlation.
you stated exactly that in your original post. you posted the confederate members, followed by the democratic votes. after that you said 'Here's to hoping old trends remain true' but somehow you're not arguing for causation. if you were going for a point that wasn't that, it wasn't obvious.

Feyokien
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2016, 7:06 pm

Fugu wrote:
Feyokien wrote:
Nowhere did I state that voting democrat and confederate membership had a correlation.
you stated exactly that in your original post. you posted the confederate members, followed by the democratic votes.

NO I DIDN'T. In order for that to be true, I would have had to have posted a Democrat v Republican map against the Civil War map. I posted the democratic primaries map. How do you not understand what I'm saying. Now you're just lying.

Fugu
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2016, 7:08 pm

Feyokien wrote:
Fugu wrote:
Feyokien wrote:
you stated exactly that in your original post. you posted the confederate members, followed by the democratic votes.

NO I DIDN'T. In order for that to be true, I would have had to have posted a Democrat v Republican map against the Civil War map. I posted the democratic primaries map. How do you not understand what I'm saying. Now you just lying.
it's really hard to understand what hasn't been said.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2016, 7:08 pm

The "solid Democratic South" ended, statistically, with the election of Ronald Reagan in 1980.

It probably ended sometime in the 1970s; I would say that if Ford had been a better candidate in 1976, and Carter wasn't a Southerner, the South would have probably voted Republican in 1976.