Page 2 of 3 [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2016, 7:08 pm

The "solid Democratic South" ended, statistically, with the election of Ronald Reagan in 1980.

It probably ended sometime in the 1970s; I would say that if Ford had been a better candidate in 1976, and Carter wasn't a Southerner, the South would have probably voted Republican in 1976.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2016, 7:10 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Okay, I researched this. Tennessee was fully a Confederate State.

However, 26 counties in East Tennessee attempted to secede from the rest of Tennessee and become part of the Union. As a result, those counties were occupied by the Confederate government for the duration of the Civil War.

In essence, those 26 counties considered themselves Union; the Confederate government considered them Confederate.

In practical, objective terms, they were part of the Confederency--but were an occupied people, so to speak.

That I remember reading about. Or I skimmed over it atleast when I was reading a big coffee table book in the school library about the Civil War in junior high in my civil war buff aspie interest stage.

Tennesee was definitely part of the confederacy.

But the eastern counties threatened to succeed back to the north. That would be the part of the state in the mountains.

Interestingly a group of counties in the western part of what was then Virginia (also on the Appalachian chain of mountains) also got fed up with their sons dying so that the tidewater Plantation owners could keep their slaves- and succeeded in seceding from Virginia, and rejoining the Union as the new state of "West Virginia".

Last edited by naturalplastic on 11 Mar 2016, 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Feyokien
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2016, 7:15 pm

Feyokien wrote:
^
^ Yeah I think it has something to do with being from Texas. I never mentioned political parties representing sides in the civil war but that seems to be where this is going -_-. I was talking about how people currently voting in the Democratic primaries tend to be voting based on their cultural heritage. That's the point of the thread. Nothing to do with republicans or the general election. Just the Democratic Primaries, which I'm vested.

Feyokien wrote:
^ Why show the republican map, they aren't really in a battle of conservative vs progressive. Also I can't tell if you're being derisive or not so for now benefit of doubt.

Feyokien wrote:
No I'm arguing southern culture tends to default towards conservatism, which it does. Hilary is the more conservative candidate so it makes sense she won the south. Southern strategy has nothing to do with this either, why are you enlarging the argument? I'm talking about democrats not republicans. Do you even read what I say? Stop making me your straw man.

Feyokien wrote:
I know exactly what I'm saying. My logic is actually sound. Here's why:

Description of Confusing Cause and Effect

Confusing Cause and Effect is a fallacy that has the following general form:

A and B regularly occur together.
Therefore A is the cause of B.
This fallacy requires that there is not, in fact, a common cause that actually causes both A and B.

Now let me break it down for you :roll:

Civil war map and Election Maps line up
Common cause of both maps looking the way they do: the native cultures of the regions influence both

Go argue for the sake of arguing somewhere else.

Oh look 4 times I've blatently stated my original posts intentions since it was so difficult to discern.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2016, 7:21 pm

Feyokien wrote:
^
^ Yeah I think it has something to do with being from Texas. I never mentioned political parties representing sides in the civil war but that seems to be where this is going -_-. I was talking about how people currently voting in the Democratic primaries tend to be voting based on their cultural heritage. That's the point of the thread. Nothing to do with republicans or the general election. Just the Democratic Primaries, which I'm vested.

Since the majority of modern Democrat voters in the South today are Black, and since Black voters tend to be loyal to the Clintons, that explains why Hillary wins (within the Democratic party) in the deep south. Nothing very mysterious about it.

Fugu
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2016, 7:23 pm

Feyokien wrote:
Oh look 4 times I've blatently stated my original posts intentions since it was so difficult to discern.
your OP states one position, I pointed out how it was a fallacy and you immediately claimed that I was somehow misreading your 3 sentences(??). if you don't want people to misread you, provide more than the bare minimum.

e: vv It's not super clear who you're referencing angela.

Last edited by Fugu on 11 Mar 2016, 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2016, 7:24 pm

Dude, I have to say you're being rude. Several people have said they don't understand your point and instead of calmly explaining your point, you're yelling. That's not going to help a discussion.

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 83 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 153 of 200 You are very likely neurotypical
Darn, I flunked.

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2016, 7:31 pm

Fugu wrote:
Feyokien wrote:
your OP states one position, I pointed out how it was a fallacy and you immediately claimed that I was somehow misreading your 3 sentences(??). if you don't want people to misread you, provide more than the bare minimum.

Feyokien is who I'm talking to. He's even talking down to people. I don't understand why he's so angry. Evidently, more than one person didn't understand his point so he must not have made the topic clear from the beginning. Not a reason to get mad.

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 153 of 200 You are very likely neurotypical
Darn, I flunked.

Fugu
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2016, 7:36 pm

nurseangela wrote:
Fugu wrote:
Feyokien wrote:

Feyokien is who I'm talking to. He's even talking down to people. I don't understand why he's so angry. Evidently, more than one person didn't understand his point so he must not have made the topic clear from the beginning. Not a reason to get mad.
it probably didn't help that I said I was being semi-derisive, he took it much harder than I expected or intended for a semi-joke.

Feyokien
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2016, 7:36 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Feyokien wrote:
^

Since the majority of modern Democrat voters in the South today are Black, and since Black voters tend to be loyal to the Clintons, that explains why Hillary wins (within the Democratic party) in the deep south. Nothing very mysterious about it.

Yes that's more or less what I've been saying. I never mentioned the black vote specifically, but they're voting conservatively for Clinton. She's well known to them, Sanders is an outsider.

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2016, 7:48 pm

Just because the Black vote has been a certain way, couldn't that change if the Repubs took on Carson? That is how the current president was elected.

Darn, I flunked.

Feyokien
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2016, 7:54 pm

nurseangela wrote:

Who? Seriously who beyond Fuge who continues to misinterpret what I put and wont accept they misinterpreted the original post?

All I did was tell you that you were being offtopic, turning a thread about the democratic primaries, which was obvious by the original post into something to do with Republican pride. I'm not using the word obvious with an abrasive tone either. It was obvious. I posted a map of civil war borders and labeled it. I posted a map of how Democrats were voting in the primaries this year and clearly labeled it. I made a jib about hoping the trend continues. It was all very obvious. Instead people came in with tinted red and blue vision and turned my peaceful thread about the primaries into a discussion about political parties.

Last edited by Feyokien on 11 Mar 2016, 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2016, 7:55 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
The "solid Democratic South" ended, statistically, with the election of Ronald Reagan in 1980.

It probably ended sometime in the 1970s; I would say that if Ford had been a better candidate in 1976, and Carter wasn't a Southerner, the South would have probably voted Republican in 1976.

It started to end with President Nixon's southern strategy. Nixon was reacting to the success of Georgia Governor George Wallace's third party candidacy during the 1968 Presidential Election

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2016, 8:10 pm

Feyokien wrote:
nurseangela wrote:

Who? Seriously who beyond Fuge who continues to misinterpret what I put and wont accept they misinterpreted the original post?

All I did was tell you that you were being offtopic, turning a thread about the democratic primaries, which was obvious by the original post into something to do with Republican pride. I'm not using the word obvious with an abrasive tone either. It was obvious. I posted a map of civil war borders and labeled it. I posted a map of how Democrats were voting in the primaries this year and clearly labeled it. I made a jib about hoping the trend continues. It was all very obvious. Instead people came in with tinted red and blue vision and turned my peaceful thread about the primaries into a discussion about political parties.

Me, but I was going to let that go, but then Fugu and Naturalplastic also said it. That's 3. So I was glad to know it wasn't just me. I think you inferred for the thread just to be about Democrats, but the topic wasn't obvious.

Darn, I flunked.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2016, 8:12 pm

nurseangela wrote:
Just because the Black vote has been a certain way, couldn't that change if the Repubs took on Carson? That is how the current president was elected.

Obama got 90 percent of the Black vote.

But ninety percent Blacks voted against Alan Keys. And 90 percent of Blacks voted against Al Sharpton.

So dont bank on Carson getting the Black vote just because he's Black.

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2016, 8:15 pm

Feyokien wrote:
nurseangela wrote:

I also said something because you usually don't get mad like that. I know it's easy to get upset with the fish, but since others said something about not understanding the topic I thought maybe it should be clarified so that a peaceful thread could be resumed. :mrgreen:

Darn, I flunked.

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2016, 8:19 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
nurseangela wrote:

Obama got 90 percent of the Black vote.

But ninety percent Blacks voted against Alan Keys. And 90 percent of Blacks voted against Al Sharpton.

So dont bank on Carson getting the Black vote just because he's Black.

Keyes is Conservative, but Sharpton isn't. Why did they vote against Sharpton?

Darn, I flunked.