"RPM, The Life-Changing Method That Helped My Non-Verbal...

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

conundrum
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2016, 8:38 pm

...Son to 'Talk'"

http://www.parents.com/blogs/special-ne ... n-to-talk/

so that the people say,
'It happened of its own accord.' -Tao Te Ching, Verse 17

HisMom
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2016, 2:30 am

conundrum wrote:

There is some concern that RPM is good, old "facilitated communication" freshly packaged and marketed as "Rapid Prompting Method". Old wine in a new bottle.

At least I'm sure it may be so in "Denmark".

-- Hamlet, 1.5.113-116

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2016, 7:00 pm

HisMom wrote:
conundrum wrote:

There is some concern that RPM is good, old "facilitated communication" freshly packaged and marketed as "Rapid Prompting Method". Old wine in a new bottle.

I think facilitated communication has gotten a bad rap, personally. There's good evidence to show that both facilitator influence and true communication can occur, and many people who start out with FC end up typing independently. Just because it has some issues doesn't mean it should be thrown out completely.

Anyway, from what I've read, RPM is completely different from FC. The only real link is that both involve teaching nonverbal autistic kids to communicate by writing. Instead of saying they can facilitate the person to type their own thoughts, RPM prompts the person to give the right answer, and then progressively fades prompts. It's really not that much different from how ABA works in its basic principles, though the application is quite different.