Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2016, 4:50 pm

There's got to be some drone-heads here! :D

My nephew has a couple little consumer ones, and I've seen some really cool video shot from one over a local frozen pond this Winter. I don't own any, but sometimes I think about different applications for them and wonder what one would be ideal IF I ever felt like shelling out the $$ for one. Thing is, I wouldn't want to buy one just because it was inexpensive.. nor would I want to buy one that's way more money than I need.

Further, I know drones used to be pretty obscure.. but now it's a pretty big thing & I can foresee it becoming a HUGE thing, especially with drone racing leagues and international drone flying competitions. I want to know what the best drones are for these uses.. who makes them etc. Ie is there one or two or three clear "winners" in the industry that are going to dominate the market? I wouldn't want to buy one from some obscure little manufacturer that's not going to be around in 5 years. I'd rather buy one from the "Toyota" or "Honda" of drone makers so that I know that parts and support are going to be abundant & good, but also not very likely to be needed in the first place.

Are there any clear winners in the drone marketplace yet? Or is it still too young and evolving too fast to have answers to that yet? IF I'm going to consider purchasing one in the future I'd prefer to focus any research efforts on only a few key brands vs. reading about stuff that's being put out by companies that aren't likely to be around in 5 years.

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2016, 7:14 pm

I'm curious, what do people even use these things for? They've always seemed like glorified toy helicopters to me. I see them as interesting, but kinda pointless.

But then, I live in the sort of area where there would never be any. This place isnt big on technology. Or even books. It's big on drinking a bunch, driving like a moron, and then yelling at a TV during a sports game. There is a store nearby that has a couple of small "drones", or at least that's what they're calling them, but I've never seen even one leave the shelf. So I'm not exactly going to hear too many things about them around here, or see them in action.

So yeah, curious.

dcj123
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2016, 10:26 am

goldfish21 wrote:
There's got to be some drone-heads here! :D

My nephew has a couple little consumer ones, and I've seen some really cool video shot from one over a local frozen pond this Winter. I don't own any, but sometimes I think about different applications for them and wonder what one would be ideal IF I ever felt like shelling out the $$ for one. Thing is, I wouldn't want to buy one just because it was inexpensive.. nor would I want to buy one that's way more money than I need.

Further, I know drones used to be pretty obscure.. but now it's a pretty big thing & I can foresee it becoming a HUGE thing, especially with drone racing leagues and international drone flying competitions. I want to know what the best drones are for these uses.. who makes them etc. Ie is there one or two or three clear "winners" in the industry that are going to dominate the market? I wouldn't want to buy one from some obscure little manufacturer that's not going to be around in 5 years. I'd rather buy one from the "Toyota" or "Honda" of drone makers so that I know that parts and support are going to be abundant & good, but also not very likely to be needed in the first place.

Are there any clear winners in the drone marketplace yet? Or is it still too young and evolving too fast to have answers to that yet? IF I'm going to consider purchasing one in the future I'd prefer to focus any research efforts on only a few key brands vs. reading about stuff that's being put out by companies that aren't likely to be around in 5 years.

Yo so I built a Quadcopter, what do you need to know?

Honestly I think you can build a nice decked out quadcopter for about $1000 so it would be a bit cheaper than some on the market. Some of the DJI quadcopters are over $1000. Meet my pride and joy, the honeybadger quad, its not finished in this shot but I don't have any shots of it complete.

Last of its kind, the frame is unavailable now and I am working on reproducing. All you need is flight control board, a receiver, 4 ESCs, 4 motors, battery, and a power distribution board for the quad. Than for the camera you need a A/V transmitter and a composite camera and some way to power them off the battery. I use a voltage regulator for that, than you need a headset and radio transmitter and your golden. I think a clear win is to build one and I think that building them is half the fun. The point in a quadcopter is to be a glorified toy helicopter but its the fun of building them and flying them thats so fun. Flying from first person preceptive (FPV) is fun as hell and a toy helicopter isn't going to have that. Nor is a toy helicopter going to have the manoeuvrability that four props at that size provides. Quadcopters are actually a horrible design for a helicopter if it was full size but not so much for smaller applications. It gives speed and manoeuvrability that you can't get in small helicopter design.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2016, 2:34 pm

I wouldn't mind assembling one, but not interested in totally custom. Rather have an off the shelf complete kit made by the "Toyota" or "Honda" of drones, if/when there is such a clear winner in the marketplace.

Misery wrote:
I'm curious, what do people even use these things for? They've always seemed like glorified toy helicopters to me. I see them as interesting, but kinda pointless.

But then, I live in the sort of area where there would never be any. This place isnt big on technology. Or even books. It's big on drinking a bunch, driving like a moron, and then yelling at a TV during a sports game. There is a store nearby that has a couple of small "drones", or at least that's what they're calling them, but I've never seen even one leave the shelf. So I'm not exactly going to hear too many things about them around here, or see them in action.

So yeah, curious.

For consumers, they're glorified toys. But they can be fun with cameras & mics. I've seen some really neat aerial videos.

There are a lot of industrial applications, though. Obviously military uses them. Land surveyors can scope out large areas, electricity lines can be inspected across mountain passes without sending power linesmen for a long climb, concerts & festivals can be filmed, police can track down suspects, border security can monitor remote crossings, bridges can be inspected, train tracks and remote roads can be checked out, forest firefighters can get a look at what's coming their way or what's in the path ahead, search and rescue can scan a mountainside a lot cheaper than hiring a helicopter, police can search for outdoor marijuana grow ops & other criminal activity, coastlines can be monitored, amazon.com is experimenting with using them to deliver parcels same day, farmers could use them to monitor crops or herds or even do crop spraying, smugglers use them to transport contraband lol.. there are many applications where it's a lot more cost effective to fly a camera drone over to have a look vs. pay a human to go look - also safer in many instances.

Then there's the pure geek factor of people racing them in drone racing leagues. I predict recreational flying like this is going to explode alongside ever more industrial applications.