Page 2 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Riik
Toucan
Toucan

15 Mar 2016, 5:58 pm

I'd say I'm submissive, but stubborn. I'm certainly not assertive. Leading me along is hard though because of the anxiety and discomfort involved in doing something I don't want to do. I end up just freezing up and wanting to cúrl (can someone explain to me why I can't post that word normally without a "website in maintenance" error message appearing?) up in a ball and cry. It's those moments when I get childish - I don't even say "no" under those circumstances, I just make a childish groan like a 5-year-old.

I dunno how I come across on the internet, but in real life, I make 10-year-olds look mature.

A life without tea is a life not worth living.
Latest Aspie Quiz: AS - 151, NT - 38 / RAADS-R: 195 / AQ: 38

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2016, 6:01 pm

Yep...your brother sounds like a winner, DCJ.

My brother is similar in some way---but not as violent.

dcj123
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2016, 6:04 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Yep...your brother sounds like a winner, DCJ.

My brother is similar in some way---but not as violent.

I'd be careful who you compare my brother to cause you might insult the person your comparing him to. My brother is evil in ways that words can't describe and I won't go into it here but he is a very sick person. I see him either killing himself or going back to prison.

LyraLuthTinu
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2016, 6:07 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
There are many times when corporal punishment does cause people to fear others; hence, they are submissive.

I don't know if I would call it PTSD.....but that sort of fear definitely exists.

I can't believe that, Lyra! You are most outspoken here on WP!

Yes, well, people here can't do anything to me but say rude things and stupid $h!t back. I've learned to take anything on the web with a grain of salt.

Plus none of you ever make eye contact with me

or raise your voices (well there's always capslock but people are very good about not doing that as a rule)

any threats made here are empty.

Seriously, no matter how upset you are at my words, or how upsetting your words may be to me if I take them seriously, what's the worst you can do to me? Block me? Report me? I don't think I say much that could be considered banworthy, and even if I was banned--I'd be sad for a moment but there are other forums on the web.

It's true that people are more brave--and more likely to be rude--on the internet than face to face or even on the phone.

Official diagnosis: Austism Spectrum Disorder Level One, without learning disability, without speech/language delay; Requiring Support

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2016, 6:09 pm

My brother has a Machiavellian-type mind.

Over the years, he realized that he had to restrain his more violent impulses.

When I was very young, I broke a few of his things. I was an really autistic kid. He bears a grudge to this day.

I'm sorry you have to deal with somebody like your brother.

JimSpark
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Mar 2016, 6:11 pm

Trogluddite wrote:
What I realise now, is that submit in order to "protect" myself from situations where my social impairments would leave me hopelessly lost. I just can't process a negotiation or confrontation fast enough to really hold my own when trying to present a case, so I learned a dysfunctional way to cope with it by reciting my "Sure, that's fine." script - I barely even notice that I'm doing it many times.

I find myself doing the same thing. Just the thought of an impending confrontation usually leads to a meltdown, so I usually just avoid confrontations and arguments by immediately proceeding to "OK, we'll do it your way." And for those rare times where I try to hold my ground, I lose the argument every single time. I never feel prepared for what the other person's going to say. I could never be a lawyer, that's for sure.

So yes, it's in my nature to be submissive :|

LyraLuthTinu
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2016, 6:16 pm

JimSpark wrote:
Trogluddite wrote:
What I realise now, is that submit in order to "protect" myself from situations where my social impairments would leave me hopelessly lost. I just can't process a negotiation or confrontation fast enough to really hold my own when trying to present a case, so I learned a dysfunctional way to cope with it by reciting my "Sure, that's fine." script - I barely even notice that I'm doing it many times.

I find myself doing the same thing. Just the thought of an impending confrontation usually leads to a meltdown, so I usually just avoid confrontations and arguments by immediately proceeding to "OK, we'll do it your way." And for those rare times where I try to hold my ground, I lose the argument every single time. I never feel prepared for what the other person's going to say. I could never be a lawyer, that's for sure.

So yes, it's in my nature to be submissive :|

Good analysis, yes. this is what it's like for me too.

Official diagnosis: Austism Spectrum Disorder Level One, without learning disability, without speech/language delay; Requiring Support

Edenthiel
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2016, 10:01 pm

dcj123 wrote:
Really?

You associate being submissive to corporal punishment? I don't mean to be condescending but I am really curious, I was spanked as a younger child and never associated being submissive to corporal punishment. I feel nothing on the topic to be honest, I am nor against or for corporal punishment but I find it odd you draw this conclusion. I would say I am submissive but only to avoid the hard ache of people disagreeing with my views. I do what I want but when confronted I normally back down, I don't argue with people thats for sure. I just let things go and hope for the best.

Yes, dcj123. Really.
I was spanked for "choosing" to stim.
I was spanked for "choosing" to not looking people in the eyes.
I was spanked for "choosing" to being clumsy.
I was spanked for my auditory processing disorder.
I was spanked for needing glasses.
I was spanked for "choosing" to make noises.
I was spanked for "choosing" to having meltdowns.
I was spanked for "choosing" to be bothered by the sound of someone chewing loudly.
I was spanked for "choosing" to not conform
I was spanked for "choosing" to not interact with familial acquaintances correctly.

These weren't one-time spankings, they were regular occurrences. As in, every other day. They were my childhood memories, because I wasn't choosing to do these things. And by spankings I don't mean a restrained swat on the bottom. I mean forty or fifty hits on the bottom with a leather belt or wooden 'paddle' or hairbrush. Hard enough that it hurt to sit for a day or two.

But the spankings weren't the *really* damaging part. The damaging part was what I was told and taught during the spankings, that I was choosing to do these things, that I was wrong and broken and should be locked away. And would be if I didn't stop doing them. And of course I didn't stand a chance of going to Heaven.

See, there are some sub-cultures that truly believed (and still do) that being different -being autistic, say, or queer - is actually a moral failing. They also tend to be the ones that would hide away from public view people with autism or Down Syndrome, lest they give indication that the family was being punished by God or otherwise was further from God's Grace / Perfection.

At some point as a child who is just learning how to relate to others, sometimes that child gives up and just tells them what they want to hear.
"Did you bump into that table on purpose?"
"no."
<spank>
"no."
<spank>
"no."
<spank>
"yes"
"Okay, go to your room"

Soon enough I learned that submission was exactly what they wanted from me.

Last edited by Edenthiel on 16 Mar 2016, 12:39 am, edited 2 times in total.

zkydz
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2016, 10:34 pm

I have a strong desire to please. Too much so I believe because I get manipulated easily. But, I have a great deal of trouble with things that don't make sense. Those are the times I am not submissive.

I don't really trust people much anymore.

RAADS-R -- 213.3
FQ -- 18.7
EQ -- 13
Aspie Quiz -- 186 out of 200
AQ: 42
AQ-10: 8.8

GeordieGent
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

16 Mar 2016, 12:31 am

I am for certain and I think in my case its because of my low self esteem issues and a lifetime of reducing my anxiety by avoiding potential conflict. I also feel responsible for upsetting others, which is daft I know but nonetheless is something I have struggled with.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2016, 1:15 am

I guess I could conclude that I'm not submissive.

Punishments didn't discouraged me nor instilled fear upon me and got anger, annoyance, and hatred.
Instead of complying, I avoid or resist.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

Yigeren
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2016, 1:41 am

I am not submissive unless I'm afraid or unsure, which is often. I'm actually too submissive or too assertive depending on the situation.

I'm actually very stubborn and can be very argumentative if I think that I'm right about something. I also usually don't respect authority figures.

I was emotionally, physically, and verbally abused as a child. I was sexually abused as a teenager and in adulthood. I have no idea whether those things have affected the way I assert myself today.

MarbleRye
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

16 Mar 2016, 1:43 am

I used to be very submissive/unassertive when I was younger. I'm still submissive/unassertive, but less so.

Starfoxx
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2016, 10:51 am

For me usually no, im not easily swayed but it completely depends upon the situation. There is one person I'm pretty submissive with but I consider him my leader, that's not in a bad way though.

Trogluddite
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2016, 12:13 pm

Interesting that you mention "not being easily swayed", Starfoxx.

This is a great source of tension for me, as I'm not easily swayed either. When I act submissively to others, I'm not actually taking on their ideas, just giving the external appearance that I am. I find myself thinking, "You don't really care what I think, and I can't really express it, so I'll carry on believing what I want, and pander to you just so that you leave me alone."

It's taken me a long time to admit to myself that I can actually be quite passive-aggressive with this, or at least appear so. There's a certain kind of subversion going on where the other person thinks they got what they want, then I go off and do what I was going to do all along.

I think it started with my Dad years ago. His punishment for most things was to send us kids to our room alone. My brother hated this punishment, so it was effective on him. But I never let on that being alone in my room was exactly what I wanted to do, so it was no punishment at all. After all, my parents wanted me to do well at school, so they were hardly going to criticise me for "studying" with my science books instead of having "fun" with everyone else.

I'd get out of overwhelming family social functions sometimes by committing some minor naughtiness, then be really submissive about accepting my "punishment". Dad thought he had been an effective disciplinarian, but actually, it was me that really got what I wanted. The submissiveness was real, not acted out, but I had found a way to use his feeling of power over me to my advantage. Now that I look back, I was a pretty devious little sh1t sometimes.

muffinhead
Toucan
Toucan

16 Mar 2016, 12:24 pm

Some very interesting takes on submissiveness. Upon further reflection, I think I submit to others mainly to avoid the overwhelming prospect of arguing, and often through the realization that argumentation is a waste of time. Additionally, I have an irrational fear of being judged by others in situations, which could be some anxiety-related problem of mine.