Page 3 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

dcj123
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2016, 5:22 pm

Edenthiel wrote:
dcj123 wrote:
Really?

You associate being submissive to corporal punishment? I don't mean to be condescending but I am really curious, I was spanked as a younger child and never associated being submissive to corporal punishment. I feel nothing on the topic to be honest, I am nor against or for corporal punishment but I find it odd you draw this conclusion. I would say I am submissive but only to avoid the hard ache of people disagreeing with my views. I do what I want but when confronted I normally back down, I don't argue with people thats for sure. I just let things go and hope for the best.

Yes, dcj123. Really.
I was spanked for "choosing" to stim.
I was spanked for "choosing" to not looking people in the eyes.
I was spanked for "choosing" to being clumsy.
I was spanked for my auditory processing disorder.
I was spanked for needing glasses.
I was spanked for "choosing" to make noises.
I was spanked for "choosing" to having meltdowns.
I was spanked for "choosing" to be bothered by the sound of someone chewing loudly.
I was spanked for "choosing" to not conform
I was spanked for "choosing" to not interact with familial acquaintances correctly.

These weren't one-time spankings, they were regular occurrences. As in, every other day. They were my childhood memories, because I wasn't choosing to do these things. And by spankings I don't mean a restrained swat on the bottom. I mean forty or fifty hits on the bottom with a leather belt or wooden 'paddle' or hairbrush. Hard enough that it hurt to sit for a day or two.

But the spankings weren't the *really* damaging part. The damaging part was what I was told and taught during the spankings, that I was choosing to do these things, that I was wrong and broken and should be locked away. And would be if I didn't stop doing them. And of course I didn't stand a chance of going to Heaven.

See, there are some sub-cultures that truly believed (and still do) that being different -being autistic, say, or queer - is actually a moral failing. They also tend to be the ones that would hide away from public view people with autism or Down Syndrome, lest they give indication that the family was being punished by God or otherwise was further from God's Grace / Perfection.

At some point as a child who is just learning how to relate to others, sometimes that child gives up and just tells them what they want to hear.
"Did you bump into that table on purpose?"
"no."
<spank>
"no."
<spank>
"no."
<spank>
"yes"
"Okay, go to your room"

Soon enough I learned that submission was exactly what they wanted from me.

I sorry you had to go through all that, I can see where that might cause a problem. I was normally just spanked for doing dangerous stuff like running out in the street or something. Those sound more extreme, I never really felt to different for being autistic. If anything, like I was saying earlier my dad probably hit me less than he hit my brother because I "wasn't quite right". I am neutral on the topic of spanking but lean more towards the you shouldn't do it stance.

As for not making eye contact, my mom had her on solution for that. She would place two fingers to my face/eyes and move them to her face/eyes. That drove me insane but is a much more reasonable correction than say spanking someone for not making eye contact, that sounds ridiculous to me. I think I have run across people who viewed my autism as a moral failing and that sucks.

TheAP
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2016, 6:06 pm

I tend to not ask for what I want, because I'm embarrassed and because I think the experience will be better if it just happens spontaneously. In the past, I have had trouble with standing up for myself, because of shyness and fear of getting into trouble. I can be a bit defiant these days, but I still try to avoid getting into trouble.

Austinfrom1995
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2016, 9:57 pm

I am submissive in the sense that I do not assert myself at all. I learned along time ago that assertiveness only leads to trouble.

Edenthiel
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2016, 11:37 pm

dcj123 wrote:
I sorry you had to go through all that, I can see where that might cause a problem. I was normally just spanked for doing dangerous stuff like running out in the street or something. Those sound more extreme, I never really felt to different for being autistic. If anything, like I was saying earlier my dad probably hit me less than he hit my brother because I "wasn't quite right". I am neutral on the topic of spanking but lean more towards the you shouldn't do it stance.

As for not making eye contact, my mom had her on solution for that. She would place two fingers to my face/eyes and move them to her face/eyes. That drove me insane but is a much more reasonable correction than say spanking someone for not making eye contact, that sounds ridiculous to me. I think I have run across people who viewed my autism as a moral failing and that sucks.

Thanks. It really was a different era, and my folks for the most part were very different people. We get along good enough as adults but I don't think they'll ever allow themselves to see that maybe it was wrong.

The fingers-to-eyes thing would be amazingly annoying, as it draws your attention to the very thing you are trying to avoid / are overwhelmed by!