what exactly does DOUBLE STANDARD mean?

Page 2 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2016, 8:18 pm

Hypocrisy and "double-standards" frequently overlap.

B19 is no dude...trust me! LOL

B19
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2016, 8:18 pm

Double standards are a form of hypocrisy, dude!

This may clarify that for you:

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Hypocrisy

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2016, 8:19 pm

Are women now called "dudes" these days?

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2016, 8:20 pm

B19 wrote:
Double standards are a form of hypocrisy, dude!

This may clarify that for you:

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Hypocrisy

My bad :oops:

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

Exuvian
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2016, 8:21 pm

SaveFerris wrote:
B19 wrote:
An example is someone who is a serial adulterer who publicly accuses someone else of being immoral and untrustworthy for sexual infidelity in marriage, while presenting his own adulterous betrayal of former spouses as excusable because he believes that he is exempt from the same moral standard he accuses others of breaking, and entitled to exemptions because he is better than other people. Double standards are often paired with this kind of entitlement and skewed moralistic behaviour.

Don't want to muddy the waters but that sounds more like hypocrisy than double standards dude :D

I believe it's hypocrisy and using special pleading as a means to propose the application of a double-standard. So I think it's the answer to the question, "mommy, where do double-standards come from?". 8O :wink:

B19
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2016, 8:21 pm

Hopefully not KK, though possibly. I have only actually heard "Dude" used in a man to man context. As you assert, I am very definitely female!

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2016, 8:22 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Are women now called "dudes" these days?

I use it for either sex ( It's a welsh thing )

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2016, 8:28 pm

I will never, in my life, call a woman a "dude."

Ironically, in the old days, a "dude" meant someone who was a tenderfoot, a naïve person.

Around the 1960s, African-Americans started calling men "dudes."

I believe it started meaning "any (younger) guy" in the 1980s. You don't call an older person a "dude"; that's considered disrespectful.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2016, 8:35 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I will never, in my life, call a woman a "dude."

Ironically, in the old days, a "dude" meant someone who was a tenderfoot, a naïve person.

Around the 1960s, African-Americans started calling men "dudes."

I believe it started meaning "any (younger) guy" in the 1980s. You don't call an older person a "dude"; that's considered disrespectful.

To me dude is just added to the end of a sentence to make it friendlier dude :D

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2016, 8:38 pm

It goes to show: language is a dynamic thing.

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2016, 10:26 pm

Exuvian wrote:
I'm more familiar with the type of double-standard set by a third party where a rule is declared to apply equally without exception, but tacitly treated otherwise.

People are all the time throwing around all kinds of “rules”, never explicitly restricting their domain, even though it’s obvious they couldn’t be universally applied. Neurotypicals seem to be perfectly fine with this, but I can’t help finding it very jarring. Of course, they just as tacitly accept all manner of exceptions, or pull out another, contradicting “rule” from where the sun doesn’t shine, never showing any signs of being aware of the contradiction, as if the other “rule” no longer existed. They always seem to know in which particular way it is okay to be inconsistent, but, of course, I don’t. If I tried to do it, it’d be perceived as plain dishonesty and I’d be treated accordingly.

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.

Exuvian
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2016, 11:02 pm

Spiderpig wrote:
Exuvian wrote:
I'm more familiar with the type of double-standard set by a third party where a rule is declared to apply equally without exception, but tacitly treated otherwise.

People are all the time throwing around all kinds of “rules”, never explicitly restricting their domain, even though it’s obvious they couldn’t be universally applied. Neurotypicals seem to be perfectly fine with this, but I can’t help finding it very jarring. Of course, they just as tacitly accept all manner of exceptions, or pull out another, contradicting “rule” from where the sun doesn’t shine, never showing any signs of being aware of the contradiction, as if the other “rule” no longer existed. They always seem to know in which particular way it is okay to be inconsistent, but, of course, I don’t. If I tried to do it, it’d be perceived as plain dishonesty and I’d be treated accordingly.

Such inconsistencies tend to be amazingly consistent with the biases held by the one proposing the substitution. I don't think being unaware of (or worse, comfortable with) one's biases/inconsistencies has any significant link with neuro-type though.