Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Mar 2016, 6:56 pm

can people describe it?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2016, 7:02 pm

The term "double standard" is used quite frequently within a gender relations' context.

A classic manifestation of the "double standard":

1. A man cheats on his wife many times, yet is considered a stud/Don Juan/Casanova, etc. by those around him (including, sometimes, his wife).

2. A woman cheats on her husband once. She is automatically considered a slut/whore/dirtbag, etc. by those around her (including, quite frequently, other women).

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2016, 7:04 pm

It means it's ok for one person to do something, but if another person does exactly the same thing it's not ok.

alcockell
Raven
Raven

28 Sep 2016, 6:42 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
The term "double standard" is used quite frequently within a gender relations' context.

1. A man cheats on his wife many times, yet is considered a stud/Don Juan/Casanova, etc. by those around him (including, sometimes, his wife).

2. A woman cheats on her husband once. She is automatically considered a slut/whore/dirtbag, etc. by those around her (including, quite frequently, other women).

Not now. It's flipped around.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

28 Sep 2016, 7:53 am

alcockell wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

I don't think it's flipped by any means, but there's less shame attached to woman having multiple sexual partners than there used to be.

alcockell
Raven
Raven

28 Sep 2016, 8:14 am

The_Walrus wrote:
alcockell wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

I don't think it's flipped by any means, but there's less shame attached to woman having multiple sexual partners than there used to be.

I was referring to the apparent shame applied in some sectors to men wanting to operate outside strict traditional monogamy - the "fuckboy" term - which seems to crossmatch to "rake"?

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2016, 10:05 am

It's where NTs get away with bullying a neurologically challenged person, but if any of us even hurt an NT's feelings a teeny bit and just once, oh dear. We get scolded and told we are mean and inconsiderate, and that we must never hurt anybody's feelings ever again.

I'm referring "we" as in any non-NT who is targeted by bullies.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2016, 11:38 am

One example is people thinking that men can't and never are sexually harassed or assaulted and only women can be. It's because people think that real men always want sex and are in the mood and if they don't there's something horribly wrong with them.

I've seen plenty of examples where a female is stalking and obsessed with a male and it's considered funny or cute but if it was the other way around it would be creepy and gross.

People think only men can be pedophiles but never women unless that women is *really* ugly or a lesbian.
I even once read somewhere they once forbid men to sit next to children on a plane but it was perfectly okay for women to do it even if they are complete stranger.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2016, 11:44 am

I remember when I was a little girl, I always teased and didn't know when to stop. I would tease and would be told to stop. But when other kids would do it to me, I would get told "They're just playing, they're doing that to other kids too." And they wonder why I kept teasing?

When I would go to school, other kids would do silly things but when I would do them, the staff would make a big deal about it but ignore what the other kids were doing and it was caught on video when they video taped me so when I pointed it out to my speech therapist, her response was "Don't worry about them, we're only focusing on you" and they wonder why I had behavior problems?

Yes no wonder I was very frustrated and had anxiety and by 6th grade I wanted to commit suicide because I was so sick and tired of being different and not able to be normal and I couldn't get others to treat me as normal like everyone else. I was still treated differently. My mother asked me "How did you get so depressed?" It was lot of things then that led me to that direction not just this.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Exuvian
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2016, 8:39 pm

Double = Two
Standard = Rule

Typically a "standard" is the rule for dealing with a certain situation. In the case of a double-standard, an irrelevant exception (the second "standard") is applied unfairly based on irrelevant criteria.

Like if it's stated that "all employees in this role shall make x amount" and women are paid less, that's the double-standard.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2016, 2:04 am

Fat guys who expect women to be thin. Its OK for them to eat junk food and pack on a few pounds, but if a women has a few extra, its time for diet and exercise. They have more important things to do than manage their weight.

Last edited by BTDT on 29 Sep 2016, 5:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

mpe
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Sep 2016, 3:59 am

alcockell wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

It remains just much a double standard, even if "flipped" though.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2016, 6:47 pm

An example is someone who is a serial adulterer who publicly accuses someone else of being immoral and untrustworthy for sexual infidelity in marriage, while presenting his own adulterous betrayal of former spouses as excusable because he believes that he is exempt from the same moral standard he accuses others of breaking, and entitled to exemptions because he is better than other people. Double standards are often paired with this kind of entitlement and skewed moralistic behaviour.

Exuvian
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2016, 7:50 pm

B19 wrote:
An example is someone who is a serial adulterer who publicly accuses someone else of being immoral and untrustworthy for sexual infidelity in marriage, while presenting his own adulterous betrayal of former spouses as excusable because he believes that he is exempt from the same moral standard he accuses others of breaking, and entitled to exemptions because he is better than other people. Double standards are often paired with this kind of entitlement and skewed moralistic behaviour.

That's an interesting angle. I'm more familiar with the type of double-standard set by a third party where a rule is declared to apply equally without exception, but tacitly treated otherwise. So in this case, the person is using a form of "special pleading" along with (dubious) criteria to propose a double-standard be applied to him.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2016, 7:58 pm

Colloquially, the double standard is most referred to by the vernacular phrase

"do as I say, not as I do".

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2016, 8:08 pm

B19 wrote:

Don't want to muddy the waters but that sounds more like hypocrisy than double standards dude :D

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard