President Obama to nominate Judge Merrick Garland

Page 2 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2016, 12:31 pm

Jacoby wrote:
those decisions were anti-gun simple as that. ... What factual information?

False.

The factual information is:
1) that NRA vs. Reno is not about the Second Amendment or gun ownership at all but rather about the FBI briefly retaining NICS background check information for a six month period to check for abuses of the system.

2) Garland's vote on Parker vs. DC was not for or against any particular interpretation of the Second Amendment, but a procedural vote to have the DC Circuit judges vote on the interpretation collectively.

Neither position is anti-gun.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

21 Mar 2016, 12:39 pm

Not false, true. You can call those neutral decisions or something unrelated but they're not, of course Salon would like to move the goal posts to what they say is "reasonable gun control" but nothing would be good enough for them except for the confiscation of all guns.

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2016, 12:45 pm

Jacoby wrote:
Not false, true. You can call those neutral decisions or something unrelated but they're not, of course Salon would like to move the goal posts to what they say is "reasonable gun control" but nothing would be good enough for them except for the confiscation of all guns.

There is no gun control advocated in either decision.
This is evident to anyone not viewing them through a partisan reality filter.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2016, 12:57 pm

Adamantium wrote:
Jacoby wrote:

There is no gun control advocated in either decision.
This is evident to anyone not viewing them through a partisan reality filter.

Not really, what is the point of being able to keep gun buying records? That has always been precursor to something else and this was proven in Canada with their gun registry. The other one he wanted to rehear because it held that people in DC had a right to self defense, why else would he want to rehear it? To try to play a game and say well we don't know, ugh no we do know. If he wanted to rehear instead of the case going to the supreme court then I would imagine he had a problem with the verdict, what say you? He will never be a Supreme Court justice and Obama never expected him to be, he didn't nominate the Sri guy because they don't want him dragged thru the mud with no chance of being appointed so they can nominate him later.

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2016, 2:44 pm

You may be right.

I wonder who President Hillary Clinton's Justice (or Justices) will be?

"This guy" is too right wing for me and Obama too centrist. I look forward to better nominees from the new President. I expect the damage the Republicans are currently doing to themselves will also mean a more favorable Senate during President Clinton's first term, so perhaps they are doing us a favor with their knee-jerk obstructionism today. :mrgreen:

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2016, 3:24 pm

Sri Srinivasan is a guy they will probably try to nominate later, Obama would of nominated him if he thought he would of gotten approved. I can't imagine Hillary's judges would be much different, mostly pro-government "tough on terrorism" types as all of Obama's picks have been.

Dems need a net of 4 or 5 senate seats depending on who wins the presidency to have a bare minimum majority, it's possible given the amount of seat the Republicans have to defend but I have no idea what to expect down ballot in this election. This whole election is going to be decided in the industrial Midwest, those are the seats that will make or break a majority.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2016, 3:58 pm

ASAN Urges Confirmation of Supreme Court Nominee Merrick Garland

I have reservations about ASAN getting involved in an issue that divides autistics and potential supporters of the neurodiversity movement.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2016, 4:02 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
ASAN Urges Confirmation of Supreme Court Nominee Merrick Garland

I have reservations about ASAN getting involved in an issue that divides autistics and potential supporters of the neurodiversity movement.

not to mention dividing autistics!

Edenthiel
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2016, 5:33 pm

There have been SCOTUS cases that involved autistic people, autistic people convicted of violent crimes and facing the death penalty (rather than shot outright), research involving hot button items such as fetal tissue...an additional conservative Supreme Court judge would likely be very bad for people on the spectrum, but very good for groups such as Autism Speaks who are looking for a "cure"...

Alien_Papa
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2016, 11:33 pm

Interesting theory that Obama could "appoint" Garland to the Court by determining that in taking no action on his nomination for an extended period the Senate has waived its right to consent to the nomination.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions ... story.html

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2016, 11:45 pm

^^^...whatever it takes to get the do-nothing senate to do its job.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2016, 12:07 am

And what are the Senate Republicans going to do when they lose the Presidential election, and have to deal with a truly far left nominee?

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2016, 12:20 am

^^^especially if, as the ooze just said, they lose their senatorial majority [in the event of a GOP meltdown in Cleveland that sucks down the senate GOP along with the party nominee]?